Farish announcements - 2011

Andy Y

According to mremag.com the PCAs are on the slow boat from China. Also in the container are the class 101 DMUs in Green (3 & 3 car), Blue (2 & 3 car) & Express Parcels (leaving the blue/grey and Regional Railways for the next boat?)

Fingers crossed they'll be in the country by TINGS in three weeks time.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

The Bachmann website says that the Regional Railways 101 are going to arrive first with the other livery versions coming later, so who do we believe the most? ;)

i work in the aquatics trade and one of our suppliers have said on numerous occasions that a certain product is on the boat from china

what they neglect to tell you is that it must be a rowing boat the amount of time it takes to get here

dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The usual Farish system (and this goes for Bachmann OO too I believe) is that as the container is loaded, half a dozen models are lifted out of the consignment and sent separately by air. They arrive at Barwell and are then dispatched to the magazines for review. Given the 4-6 week lead-in of most magazines, by the time the issue containing the review appears on the shelves the main batch of models are arriving at Barwell and ready to be sent out to suppliers.

So... since the Regional Railways 101 was the first one Model Rail received (about 5 weeks ago) and the review is in the issue just published, I suspect the RR 101s hit the water 5 weeks ago and, logically, will be arriving with dealers any day now.

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...

The Farish 'New' list has been updated to show all of the Class 101s, the first of the A1s and the PCAs due within the next 60 days.

Tom.

Also the first 03 in green and another Jubilee rerun, albeit this time "Bahamas" with double chimney.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Been to The International N Gauge Show today.

The A1's have arrived (I think an air-freighted part shipment possibly?).

I purchased my long preordered BR Late Crest "Great Central". I had great expectations for the model and have to say that it has exceeded them big time! The look and finish of the model is exquisite - it is just spot on, it is beautifully detailed .Running is silky smooth and quiet. A spares goodie bag is included with bigger wheeled pony-truck, cylinder drain cocks etc and a shorter drawbar.

It comes fitteds with a single traction tyred axle, apparently eleven coaches is well within capabilities like this, but a second tyred wheeset is included which is an easy drop in replacement for those who want more.

I am currently running it in so have yet to test haulage.

One interesting point not previously noted is that the loco has a wiperless split-chassis pickup arrangement.

Roy

I picked up a Tornado today at Leamington, absolutley exquisite! At one point we had two sat on the DEMU stand (but shh, don't tell anyone) with Arran gettingone too. Make sure you don't lose the lovely etched plates in the folded up white paper diagram sheet

jo

Been to The International N Gauge Show today.

The A1's have arrived (I think an air-freighted part shipment possibly?).

I purchased my long preordered BR Late Crest "Great Central"

Any chance of some snaps Roy - in particular the mechanism sounds interesting - worm at both ends of the motor?

How is the slow speed and crawl performance?

Cheers,

Alan

Any chance of some snaps Roy - in particular the mechanism sounds interesting - worm at both ends of the motor?

How is the slow speed and crawl performance?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan

I haven't had need to take it apart, but according to the instruction sheet's exploded diagram it is a single worm driving all tender axles through one long gear-train.

Mine has still had no more than a few minutes running each way but slow running is very good already.

I may get a chance to do some pics later, but I have a few other jobs to do today non-modelling related :-(.

Cheers

Roy

• RMweb Premium

I had a look at Tornado in the Farish cabinet at TINGS and I have to say it's probably the best N Gauge steam loco I have every seen. Fortunately for my bank-balance, the A1 manages to be too old and too new for my preferred modelling era (1980s).

According to Bach-Far's Colin Albright the A1 is powered by the tender only via all four axles. If it's followed up with a new A3 & A4 then I can see quite a few folk modelling the ECML in N.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

According to Bach-Far's Colin Albright the A1 is powered by the tender only via all four axles. If it's followed up with a new A3 & A4 then I can see quite a few folk modelling the ECML in N.

BachFar have been concentrating on the LMS and BR standards recently. Having cherry-picked some of the easy locos and some nice matching stock, it would make sense for them to turn their attention to another region.

Dapol and Ixion seem to have the GWR well sewn-up. The southern is a possibility but with plenty of SR stuff in Hornby's range, I would more expect to see that from Dapol so the ER is a logical possibilty. They have recently brought out Thompson coaches in 00 so I would not be suprised to see these in N at some point in the near future.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

At the Bachmann Open Day in July they were showing off weathered Presflos, weathered cattle wagons and several other weathered types; these are all going to be available in triple packs with each wagon weathered and numbered differently.

post-420-0-84765000-1315944482_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-35628700-1315944443_thumb.jpg

They looked very nice to me. The upcoming Metalair PCAs will also be available in weathered 3-packs.

cheers

Ben A,

Nice wagons. But also an illustration of the droopy coupling problem which has to be addressed before Bachmann can release their Microtrains style couplers.

This'll be flash on the pocket or coupler - it looks like the 16ton wagon style coupler and pocket rather than the NEM, and these seem to suffer this on occasion.

Cheers,

Alan

Interesting different coloured planks on the cattle vans, amazing they can do that on a commercial weathering release. Presflos look excellent - brake shoes aren't in line with the wheels, as per the OO version, but a minor compliant. Details levels look superb!

Archived