FTG Models - SPA wagon - Network Rail

Hugh Flynn

Cracking job there James. Almost makes me want to do 4mm again to have a go myself. Saying that there is an N gauge SPA available from farish to go at hmmm I may have to invest.

Well done Hugh by the way. Ive silently followef this from day 1 as its no longer my scale but despite the negative flak I think James has shown that you have made a cracking wagon there as a base for some real modelling!

That really is a very tasty bit of weathering, which even manages to survive the cruel lense of a camera enlarging it substantially.

Unlike those 'springs' which really let the model down.  The rest of it doesn't look too bad, if a little chunky in places.

Great job James, the weathering is fantastic! B)

Unlike those 'springs' which really let the model down.  The rest of it doesn't look too bad, if a little chunky in places.

Great job James, the weathering is fantastic! B)

Next shopping trip, cast springs, axle boxes and etched w-irons. Other than that I can live with it as a V1.0 product

Next shopping trip, cast springs, axle boxes and etched w-irons.

I'll be interested to see what that does to it - I think it'll transform it into a nice looking model, those are definitely the bits that need the most attention.

Nice to see Br(S) and James that is a fantastic job. I've not had chance to touch my 4 yet but as they are staying in 80's90's condition a bit if weathering and detailing should do for now to get them ready for Glasgow.

James a Loadhaul one would be nice, I finished the cambrian kit in that for Rannoch and it looks nice.

Mine arrived safe and well packed thanks Hugh.

Mark

To support James Makin's efforts above, here is a link to a photo of the interior of an SPA showing much the same (author acknowledged on the site). https://www.flickr.com/photos/50619197@N07/15998954602

The interior shown is just how I remember them - rust and dirt coloured! Often, there were more straps lying about than this, when they could not be re-wound onto the spools, due to breakage or fraying (or no-one had bothered), and there were often not enough for the next load. Our shunters had to keep a supply of new spare straps for C&W  to take to Sheerness until the Freight Manager at Waterloo finally authorised a regular direct supply to Sheerness Steel.

To support James Makin's efforts above, here is a link to a photo of the interior of an SPA showing much the same (author acknowledged on the site). https://www.flickr.com/photos/50619197@N07/15998954602

The interior shown is just how I remember them - rust and dirt coloured! Often, there were more straps lying about than this, when they could not be re-wound onto the spools, due to breakage or fraying (or no-one had bothered), and there were often not enough for the next load. Our shunters had to keep a supply of new spare straps for C&W  to take to Sheerness until the Freight Manager at Waterloo finally authorised a regular direct supply to Sheerness Steel.

The picture you've highlighted is mine and was taken in Burton West yard in 2000, the SPAs with a mix of OCAs were used for wire coil traffic that was loaded 2 abreast in the wagons, I just wish I'd had a better camera back then as the detail in my images isn't that sharp. The coil came from South Wales if I remember and was destined for Rom River at Lichfield.

Hi All,

Was allowed some playtime today so finally got my SPA's out and put them in with a few other of my steel wagons.

Well they sure look the part in a Railfreight Steel train rake, wish I could have got some more wagons down, but ran out of table space!

Looking forward to getting some loads and weathering on them to give them that cracking in use look that well used steel traffic got rather rapidly, everything looks far too factory fresh right now!

Cheers again Hugh hope you are having a relaxing Christmas, as you have sure made mine!

Matt

post-4966-0-21349300-1419524831_thumb.jpg

post-4966-0-27646900-1419524837_thumb.jpg

post-4966-0-57225900-1419524843_thumb.jpg

post-4966-0-25062700-1419524849_thumb.jpg

post-4966-0-05778300-1419524855_thumb.jpg

I am afraid I must register a complaint Hugh. My wife was unduly expectant of a box of shoes, based on information received not a million miles from this thread, and was most displeased when a box apparently containing an asynchronous motor was delivered to our gate instead. As if to pour oil, she was not inconsiderably apopleptic with rage, when eight, small red wagons (or "boys' toys" as she declared) emerged from its bowels. I think I would have fared better if it had been an AC motor. On the next order can you please at least hide the wagons under a pair of ladies' shoes (size 4), no matter what the box says???

As an amusing aside, the wagons are quite superb (once I sort the couplings....). Thank you.

Hi

Glad most have  received there wagons 2 more orders boxed up ready for posting today.

I have sorted remaining full large boxes of wagons out, so just to let you know there is less than 80 of each plain railfreight left?

No problem with Cardiff rod mill ones.

Hugh

I am afraid I must register a complaint Hugh. My wife was unduly expectant of a box of shoes, based on information received not a million miles from this thread, and was most displeased when a box apparently containing an asynchronous motor was delivered to our gate instead. As if to pour oil, she was not inconsiderably apopleptic with rage, when eight, small red wagons (or "boys' toys" as she declared) emerged from its bowels. I think I would have fared better if it had been an AC motor. On the next order can you please at least hide the wagons under a pair of ladies' shoes (size 4), no matter what the box says???

As an amusing aside, the wagons are quite superb (once I sort the couplings....). Thank you.

You know it's the shoes you really want pmsl

I used to work for Kernow and we were once asked to pack our deliveries in green boxes so that they could be hidden amongst garden shrubbery until there was an opportunity to get them into the house!

I think that shoe boxes are probably the wrong way to go as they raise expectations which will not he fulfilled!

By the way, I hope that all in this thread had a good Christmas and that in 2015 we see loads of photos of steel trains that have been modelled.

Andrew

An excellent model with excellent prompt service provided by the FTG website-my only complaint is that the white decals applied

to the SPA could have been stronger/brighter, especially on the BR emblem and 'Railfreight'.

Great idea overall though and congrats to Hugh for making the model happen. Look forward to the next ones

Hi

Well the wagons have been going well so big thanks for your support.

The wagon review is going in Railway modeller mid Jan for Feb issue.

Now the bad news I am down to around 60 of each number of the plain Railfreight.

The cad work for the CO2 should be with me Jan/feb time .

Hugh

Archived