FTG Models - SPA wagon - Network Rail

Hugh Flynn

I think the reality is this.......sure as eggs are eggs, prices are rising and will continue to do so.

Wagons and loco's won't be getting cheaper and we all, yes including me as a modeller, have to get used to this and perhaps, if needs be, cut our respective cloths accordingly.

Kudos to Hugh for holding the prices, and being in the know on this project I know his move to hold the prices was a very brave and honourable one.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark

It is now up to them ,I still have the cad work for the hood and cad work for cradles/bar variations.

I am now waiting for cad designer recovering from his operation to push ahead with CO2 wagon.

Also gathering info for next wagon but less of that for now?

Hugh

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi chaps,

Very quick question - can anyone confirm the correct diameter wheels for the SPA wagon please?

I've had a few derailments on the ones I've bought so far, I think the flanges are maybe a little small and they ride over my point blades (back-to-backs seem fine) - thinking of changing them to some aftermarket wheels but would be great to confirm what the correct diameter wheels are please. The Cambrian website appears to suggest 12mm wheels (as per OCA etc) but I know the wheels as supplied on the FTG SPA in stock format are a quite a lot smaller - am a little confused!

Many thanks in advance :)

James

Hi chaps,

Very quick question - can anyone confirm the correct diameter wheels for the SPA wagon please?

I've had a few derailments on the ones I've bought so far, I think the flanges are maybe a little small and they ride over my point blades (back-to-backs seem fine) - thinking of changing them to some aftermarket wheels but would be great to confirm what the correct diameter wheels are please. The Cambrian website appears to suggest 12mm wheels (as per OCA etc) but I know the wheels as supplied on the FTG SPA in stock format are a quite a lot smaller - am a little confused!

Many thanks in advance :)

James

This isn’t a direct answer to your question but I found that gluing the trucks in which the wheels run so that they don’t wobble and the wheels don’t scrape helped a lot.

• 3 months later...

Is FTG Models still trading as a company?

I'm interested in buying the Network Rail SPA Wagon Set and after searching for these on Google was directed to the FTG Models website which still seems active, you can actually go to the Store link and click on the Network Rail SPA set and add to cart which then directs you to PayPal to purchase which at this point I closed the window without going any further due to my suspicion this shouldn't be happening thus may end up paying for something that no longer exists.

If anyone can provide info or elaborate that would be great.

Cheers

Steve

I do believe that Hugh has a stock of SPA still avilable. It may be worth PMing him if you have concerns.

Thanks for that, yes I have now PM'd Hugh to get confirmation because it's been a while since they went on sale thus just want to make sure they are still available or if not then he needs to de-activate the 'add to cart' button.

I really do hope they are as I would love a set in Network Rail.

The last time I spoke with him at pontefract I'm sure that he said that he still had some stock available.

Hugh just got back to me and yes they are still in stock which is excellent news thus shall be ordering a set, for anyone that's interested Hugh has a good amount of Network Rail SPA sets still available to order via the FTG Models website.

• 11 months later...
On 17/02/2019 at 04:04, Darth Vader said:

I used a number 146 Kadee coupler. Decided that the Nem pocket was too much of a hassle to get the coupler to sit at the right height, so the Nem fitting was removed and the 146 bolted in place.

Out of curiousity why did you choose that, rather than replace the NEM pocket with a Bachmann/Hornby one?

It all gets down to a personal choice.

Having used Kadee couplers since 1982 – (long before NEM pockets were available on UK models), you get used to fitting the coupler box straight on to the wagon.

While at first glance the idea of simply pulling out the tension lock coupler and replacing it with the coupler of your choice sounds appealing, the reality is, that manufacturers seem to show little regard to the NEM standard and simply fit a pocket as best they can.

Which is usually ok for tension lock coupler, but when fitting a coupler that is not as tolerant with regard to height it can be problematic.

You have a couple of choices;

Either fettle the NEM pocket or coupler to make it work, or simply remove the NEM pocket all together.

I find that it is quicker to remove the NEM pocket and fit a Kadee coupler box

• 1 month later...

Archived