Ravensclyffe

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

Ravensclyffe got invaded by something rather too new for the era it is set in today :) (At the price I couldn't resist, it's a nice model and it *does* have a pantograph...)

post-6674-0-75917900-1501284603_thumb.jpg

And then when I came to fit the portals I found that the bridge on this board was in the wrong place too, and noticed that the piers were not good enough and had started to delaminate, only one thing for it!

post-6674-0-99874400-1501284606_thumb.jpg

post-6674-0-06784100-1501284610_thumb.jpg

post-6674-0-35721800-1501284614_thumb.jpg

Andi

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As well as various scenic and engineering work I've been building some new signals to replace the Eckon units that have been in use up until now. One thing I find really bugs me about so many model signals is the colour of the green LEDs. Railway green lights are very blue whereas most model signals tend towards a yellowy green. Maplin sell a green LED that looks much more the right colour, I use these and the rest of that same range as they are high brightness with quite a tight focus beam. On this particular signal there is a feather for the main aspect and a position light sub to give access to the NCB. All the white lights of both are 0603 surface mount LEDs, on the feather I have used the Eckon item as the base but with new lights behind it. the rest of the signal is scratchbuilt apart from the Eckon base. I still need to fit the OHLE cages but the frame is there. I'm waiting for the etch mesh to arrive, should have ordered more ladders too...

post-6674-0-46656900-1514414936_thumb.jpg

post-6674-0-93523900-1514414826_thumb.jpg

Still a few more to make, one more like this but the other hand of feather and a few straightforward three aspects. All the shunt signals are now built and in place, that feels like a big step forward!

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little teaser post...

Ravensclyffe station was closed by Dr Beeching (sorry for swearing) in the 60s, in 2018 it is finally gaining a station building which is based on a real building built by the appropriate railway company. Not finished as yet but hopefully recognisable...  Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the prototype? 

post-6674-0-22946600-1515205409_thumb.jpg

I know that the place where the real building is does have a model railway club, and has members on RMweb

Andi

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A little teaser post...

Ravensclyffe station was closed by Dr Beeching (sorry for swearing) in the 60s, in 2018 it is finally gaining a station building which is based on a real building built by the appropriate railway company. Not finished as yet but hopefully recognisable...  Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the prototype? 

attachicon.gifIMG_2443.JPG

I know that the place where the real building is does have a model railway club, and has members on RMweb

Andi

Bit Gothic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Rebuilding the station, I wasn't happy with the original version of the derelict platform, the new version is much more detailed, removed edge slabs, damaged brickwork, a decent station building.

post-6674-0-58988500-1520178708_thumb.jpg

I've done some more since that was taken too, putting in some detail where the slabs have been removed.

post-6674-0-90428600-1520178862_thumb.jpg

post-6674-0-92861500-1520178890_thumb.jpg

Main reason for slow progress though? This is my 3000th post on this version of RMweb. Andy Y, can you break it again so I can get on the with the layout please? ;)

Andi

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Although ornate, not quite ornate enough for North Staffs, I think. More likely one on the Trent Valley mainline.

It IS very definitely North Staffs, and it still stands, the station is still open but the building is now a private house.

post-6674-0-64224000-1520183038_thumb.jpg

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ooops, over a year since I last posted on this thread. 

The layout is still being worked on, albeit very slowly. I'm suffering a really debilitating bout of depression at the moment so I'm struggling to find any enthusiasm for doing anything at all. Hopefully as the days get longer and my treatment progresses then work on the layout will resume properly.

Andi 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Ooops, over a year since I last posted on this thread. 

The layout is still being worked on, albeit very slowly. I'm suffering a really debilitating bout of depression at the moment so I'm struggling to find any enthusiasm for doing anything at all. Hopefully as the days get longer and my treatment progresses then work on the layout will resume properly.

Andi 

Go careful Andi - its a tightrope we all walk. External factors affect what we do for sure - have been the same with Abbotswood for the last year, the day job has caused me issues, just kept pootling along with rolling stock

Hope to see you at Cheltenham show in April....

Phil

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1