Ravensclyffe

Dagworth

Guest jim s-w

Good work andi

How would this be linked in? A mechanical link to the point it controls or some sort of motor?

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Good work andi

How would this be linked in? A mechanical link to the point it controls or some sort of motor?

Cheers

Jim

I'm taking it as being wire worked back to a shunting frame. The points are motor worked. I'm claiming that the yard was reworked as part of the modernisation plan in the 60s which saw the introduction of the reception roads for the MGR traffic. With this work the reception roads were fitted with new colour light GPLs, but the original equipment on the non rebuilt areas was left as is. The shunting frame was modernised with switching fitted to the original levers to work the motor points.

Probably in all honesty the whole lot would have been resignalled but I wanted to include a couple of semaphore signals in the yard area as they look nice. IMTS and all that...

Andi

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little announcement that I can finally make...

Ravensclyffe will be coming to Members Day 2012!

Again coming as a work in progress, though significant progress has been made since its last outing and I'm looking forward to showing its current condition.

Expect a new batch of photos in the next couple of weeks.

Andi

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Andi,

A great pleasure to see in the flesh! and the APT awsome! Signalling great need a bigger screen ! or as you say mimic screens.

OLE is great and working tension gear a lovely piece of art. and thanks for a go! Keep on going I hope RM day spurs on the good work .

Robert

• Like 1

My congratulations on the phenomenal progress you've made so far. Your bit of the WCML is about 25 years after mine, but I think that there will be many who now view this era with increasing nostalgia. Superb work; power to your elbow!!

Terry D

Come on guys, stop keeping it to yourselves, post some pics from yesterday!

I was lucky to see Ravensclyffe a few years back at an RMWeb day, but couldn't make yesterday so I'd love to see the progress since then...

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Any updates? any new pictures? Need input!!!

I'm currently (pun intended) working on the fleet of ACs that are needed for the project, keep an eye on my 86s thread for an update in the next couple of days.

Andi

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having discovered yesterday (thanks to RMweb) that I have a free pro account on Flickr I've put a whole pile of photos of Ravensclyffe up there, in time this will become my online gallery for all my stuff, Ravens, Dagworth and my feline collection. At the moment there is some Dagworth stuff and quite a bit of Ravens, bear with me as I sort pictures into sets, tag and caption etc. but here is a starter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dagworth/collections/72157631807669025/

Andi

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A quick update, Christmas meant visitors which meant a tidy up and make some room, which led to the ability to get a board out and do some work...

post-6674-0-46558300-1356976056.jpg

(seem to have an odd visitor here.... blame my brother-in-law...)

post-6674-0-94758100-1356976075.jpg

Adding overhead...

Andi

• Like 1

Good stuff - it was amazing to see this up and running at the members day, glad to know it's still being worked on.

I've just placed yet another order from MERG for the solenoid motor drivers (CANACC4) and so far you've saved me a fortune by telling me about MERG!

Thanks again,

Matt

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another portal ready for planting, this will be the longest one on the layout, it spans seven tracks although only six are wired. The three sets of equipment on the left are for the goods loop and the main lines, the right sets are the reception roads.

post-6674-0-37400100-1357321872.jpg

The shorter leg on the left will be planted into the top of a retaining wall while the other two will be fixed through the baseboard.

My normal way of fixing them is to make the legs long enough to go right through the trackbed of 9mm ply, and once the correct height for the portal is set then the bottom of the leg below the board is surrounded with blu-tac to make it ballast proof, the hole with the leg through it is filled with ballast, sprayed with water from a plant mister and flooded with watered down PVA. A second (and third if needed) application of PVA is made to ensure that the whole portal is rigid.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The portal now planted and wired. Contact wires only at this point, the catenary wires will be added when the whole layout is assembled to get the sag correct in them, then droppers added once the catenaries are done.

post-6674-0-61020300-1357330875.jpg

That's it for OHLE on the board for now, next job is to get mucky with papier-mache on that bit of chickenwire in front of the retaining wall and get some more hanging basket liner applied.

Compare with the pics of this same board in post no25 at the bottom of page 1 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3288-ravensclyffe/?p=450826

Andi

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I want to put on record here how awesome some people are.

I sent a simple question to a friend here earlier this evening. I had a quick response back within four minutes and just over two hours later a fully detailed response with exactly the answer that must have taken the whole time from one reply to the other.

You know who you are mate, thanks

Andi

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That's it for OHLE on the board for now,

Ok, I lied, a bit more OHLE, though I have done the threatened papier mache as well.

post-6674-0-48918100-1357451796.jpg

This is a bit of an unusual portal, it is part of an overlap hence two sets of equipment over each track, but to be even more awkward it is on a curve so all the equipment needs to be pulling the wires off the same way as opposed to the usual arrangement on an overlap of half each pull off and push off. THis one is now ready for paint before planting, then I have to make its partner that sits on the previous board and four sets of tensioning equiment...

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellenr work there Andi.

May I ask; are these portals from NBrass or are they scratchbuilt?

Thanks.

They are Nbrass for the basic portal but all the equipment on the portal is scratchbuilt.

Andi

• Like 1