Wagon repair sheds

Folks

I am planing to build a small 00 gauge wagon repair depot with a single road shed. It will be set in the 1960 to early 1970s. What type of shed would have been used during this period? Would an old steam loco shed ( Knightwing, Dapol etc) have been converted or an new modern type structure built. I intend only to use 10 foot wagons due to the size of the layout.

I intend to use Wills SS53 Brick Arch Bridge and SS52 ScaleBrick Retaining Walls but I would like to know is what width should I make ithe 2 lane road?

hope you can hekp.

Kind Regards

Johna

Folks

I am planing to build a small 00 gauge wagon repair depot with a single road shed. It will be set in the 1960 to early 1970s. What type of shed would have been used during this period? Would an old steam loco shed ( Knightwing, Dapol etc) have been converted or an new modern type structure built. I intend only to use 10 foot wagons due to the size of the layout.

I intend to use Wills SS53 Brick Arch Bridge and SS52 ScaleBrick Retaining Walls but I would like to know is what width should I make ithe 2 lane road?

hope you can hekp.

Kind Regards

Johna

It's unlikely, but not unknown, for a new structure to have been built, but most likely an old one would have been re-used. The roof probably wouldn't have ventilators in it, as a steam shed would, but it might well have 'northlights' built into the roof. Go for plenty of width if you can. A couple of things to note- the tracks outside and inside would probably be flush with the road surface, so that a modified tractor could be used for shunting. There would probably be a hoist (later, sets of jacks) outside, to allow wheelsets to be swapped round. There would be a few ancillary buildings to act as stores and offices, along with grounded van bodies. There would be lines of different sizes of wheels, with the axle ends covered and protected, along with buffers and bogies.

There were five different wagon repairers within about three miles of my house in Llanelli, back in the mid-1960s through to the 1970s, though only four were active.

At Sandy Junction, there was a three-road corrugated-iron shed, which had served Amalgamated Anthracite's fleet (this was closed by then). There was a second private facilty with a four-road stone-built shed, served by a traverser, next to Sandy Bridge- this was shunted by a tractor, which fascinated me as a small child.

In Llanelli goods yard, cripples from Llandeilo Jct yard were patched up in the open air, with a couple of concrete sheds (like the Ratio Provender Store) as secure storage.

Burry Port actually gained not one, but two, facilities in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

The BR one was a concrete apron, equipped with jacks to allow wheel-sets to be swapped over. There were no under-cover facilities at all. Marcrofts, on the other hand, built a large, corrugated-iron structure, with three tracks, equipped with hoists etc- they dealt with things like modifying Cartic-4s, and overhauling 100t tanks.

Here are some shots from Paul Barlett's other site:-

http://paulbartlettsotherrailwayphotos.fotopic.net/c1145371.html

This building had been a loco shed, but was converted at the end of the 19th century. i believe it's still in use.

Powell Duffryn (PD) leased the ex-GWR 'Loan Act' style engine shed at Radyr for a number of years after BR closed it as a stabling point.

It was initially shunted with a small Fowler 0-4-0DM in the late 60s - in fact, as a youngster, the 'boss' there offered it to me, for £50 (as if !).

Later PD used a pair of Ruston Hornsby shunters.

The shed at Radyr wasn't altered internally to any great degree, but was a standard four road version.

Brian R

Powell Duffryn (PD) leased the ex-GWR 'Loan Act' style engine shed at Radyr for a number of years after BR closed it as a stabling point.

It was initially shunted with a small Fowler 0-4-0DM in the late 60s - in fact, as a youngster, the 'boss' there offered it to me, for £50 (as if !).

Later PD used a pair of Ruston Hornsby shunters.

The shed at Radyr wasn't altered internally to any great degree, but was a standard four road version.

Brian R

Similarly, the old engine shed at Workington was used for wagon repairs - and part of the 1950's built TMD at Tees Yard was adopted for wagon repairs. I realise these are larger than you are considering, but for the period you are thinking about there would still have been a few venerable single road wagon works remaining. They did tend to fade out - replaced by doing running repairs in the open with road mobile gangs and larger places doing serious inter and general repairs.

A good many of the photographs on my wagon photo site were taken at wagon works of various types. More small locos at large works here http://paulbartlettsotherrailwayphotos.fotopic.net/c1254149.html

Paul Bartlett

The Birmingham DCE's wagon shed at Duddeston, first stop Lichfield-bound from New St, is still there and in a reasonable state of repair, despite being last in use well over a decade ago (probably two decades, Ed). I've not image-searched it, but there must be plenty of footage on line.

• RMweb Gold

The C&W depot at Treforest Industrial Estate consisted of a grounded van body, which contained such delights as oil, keep pads & wagon buffing pads. Seem to remember that it closed around '74-75. There was a similar set-up, at Aberbeeg, on the Six Bells side.

Regards,

Ian

The C&W depot at Treforest Industrial Estate consisted of a grounded van body, which contained such delights as oil, keep pads & wagon buffing pads. Seem to remember that it closed around '74-75. There was a similar set-up, at Aberbeeg, on the Six Bells side.

Regards,

Ian

Yes, one at Goole was similar into the early 1980s. They hung a range of standard parts, such as brake levers, on the end of the van. I wish I had photographed it!

Paul Bartlet

Archived