Great Eastern Railway rolling stock

Guest notascoobie

Guest notascoobie

Hi,

I recently purchased a couple of etches of Peter K origin for GER rolling stock. The Great Eastern is not my forte and, without instruction sheet featuring a potted history, I’m struggling to find references to work from.

The 2 wagons are as follows:

PK 81/92 “Worsdell van.†This is for an early van, approx 16ft over headstocks, with 4 vertical end stanchions. There’s nothing in my LNER wagons books and I can find only a couple of partial photo references. I do have a Ken Werrett drawing from an old MRN, but the vehicle height is different.

PK 82/94 “Wool wagon c1890.†This is for an open wool wagon. These are listed in LNER wagons vol 1, but there’s no photo or drawing. I can find nothing in my books.

If anyone could help with references to photos and/or drawings please, I’d be a happy bunny and most grateful. I intend to model them c1910. I'm not a member of the GERS.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vernon

I bought one of the wool wagon kits last year, and, with the help of some members of the GERS was able to put a convincing model together, I hope. The Ragstone Models website shows their 7mm version and some assembly instructions that are useful too.

post-189-0-08203600-1299672013_thumb.jpg

I prepared an article for possible publication on the trials and tribulations of constructing it, that I could PM to you if you are interested. I haven't submitted it to any magazine yet as I haven't sorted the lettering out yet, as the regular sources of supply cannot offer the correct sizes.

Hi,

I recently purchased a couple of etches of Peter K origin for GER rolling stock. The Great Eastern is not my forte and, without instruction sheet featuring a potted history, I’m struggling to find references to work from.

PK 81/92 “Worsdell van.†This is for an early van, approx 16ft over headstocks, with 4 vertical end stanchions. There’s nothing in my LNER wagons books and I can find only a couple of partial photo references. I do have a Ken Werrett drawing from an old MRN, but the vehicle height is different.

PK 82/94 “Wool wagon c1890.†This is for an open wool wagon. These are listed in LNER wagons vol 1, but there’s no photo or drawing. I can find nothing in my books.

If anyone could help with references to photos and/or drawings please, I’d be a happy bunny and most grateful. I intend to model them c1910. I'm not a member of the GERS.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vernon

Hi,

Thanks.

Regards,

Vernon

I have an official sideview photo of early GER van 10062. The sides have 10 (or possibly 11) horizontal planks which are framed into two panels either side of the doors. Doors are cupboard type and have wide vertical planks with long strap hinges. Wheels are plain spoked and there are no brakes. I can't see the ends but the side view of the nearest end stanchion shows it to be close to the side so I assume there are four. Is this like the kit you have? I could send a copy of the photo by email if you wish.

Cheers,

Mike

Guest notascoobie

I bought one of the wool wagon kits last year, and, with the help of some members of the GERS was able to put a convincing model together, I hope. The Ragstone Models website shows their 7mm version and some assembly instructions that are useful too.

post-189-0-08203600-1299672013_thumb.jpg

I prepared an article for possible publication on the trials and tribulations of constructing it, that I could PM to you if you are interested. I haven't submitted it to any magazine yet as I haven't sorted the lettering out yet, as the regular sources of supply cannot offer the correct sizes.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply. The model looks just the ticket. I would be interested in seeing your article if possible.

Regards,

vernon

Guest notascoobie

I have an official sideview photo of early GER van 10062. The sides have 10 (or possibly 11) horizontal planks which are framed into two panels either side of the doors. Doors are cupboard type and have wide vertical planks with long strap hinges. Wheels are plain spoked and there are no brakes. I can't see the ends but the side view of the nearest end stanchion shows it to be close to the side so I assume there are four. Is this like the kit you have? I could send a copy of the photo by email if you wish.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

The kit etch has 10 horizontal planks each side, with a heavy X framework on the single side panel each side of the cupboard doors. I'm not sure that this is the same sort of van. A drawing i have of a similar van, albeit with lower sides, is entitled "Ale Van."

Regards,

Vernon

Hi Vernon,

I've found a photo of a grounded body in GE Journal 107, taken on the Isle of Wight in 1973.... I think it might be the type you refer to. There's also a drawing of an 8t cattle wagon, 16' long, 10'10.5" high, possibly of a similar vintage. See you on Monday if you can make it?

Regards,

Clive.

Is the van anything like this?

This was a grounded ex-GER 10T van body that was used as a store in the goods yard in Saffron Walden. When the line was closed and the track lifted it was moved to the site of the former loco shed (where the photo was taken in 1974 - sorry about the quality, I only had an Instamatic in those days). Sadly it was vandalised before a preservation attempt could be made.

post-10122-0-82070200-1299756023_thumb.jpg

Guest notascoobie

Hi Vernon,

I've found a photo of a grounded body in GE Journal 107, taken on the Isle of Wight in 1973.... I think it might be the type you refer to. There's also a drawing of an 8t cattle wagon, 16' long, 10'10.5" high, possibly of a similar vintage. See you on Monday if you can make it?

Regards,

Clive.

Clive,

Thanks for that. I hope to make it on Monday, so I'll see you there. I imagine everyone will want to see me on Monday, it's my cakes!

Regards,

Vernon

Guest notascoobie

Is the van anything like this?

This was a grounded ex-GER 10T van body that was used as a store in the goods yard in Saffron Walden. When the line was closed and the track lifted it was moved to the site of the former loco shed (where the photo was taken in 1974 - sorry about the quality, I only had an Instamatic in those days). Sadly it was vandalised before a preservation attempt could be made.

post-10122-0-82070200-1299756023_thumb.jpg

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for interest and for posting the photo. The van is exactly like the one I am modelling, so the photo will be most useful.

Now for the underframe. You wouldn't mind having a dig at Saffron Walden to see if the underframe is buried beneath where the body was would you? It was worth a try!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Vernon

Vernon, I'm afraid the van body at Saffron Walden was grounded beside the goods shed a long time before I saw it in its new location and I suspect the chassis was long gone even then. Yes, it was a van of the Worsdell era, as the Kemilway model, and I'm told (I'm waiting for a copy on order to arrive) that the design is described in Peter Tatlow;s "new" LNER wagons volume 1.

Some were converted to ale vans, for which an article, with photo and Ken Werrett drawing, can be found in Great Eastern Journal 69, p20.

Anyway, here are some more photos taken at Saffron Walden (with a foot rule against a white background for scale in some shots).

post-10122-0-98954600-1299769314_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-86054400-1299769328_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-61841300-1299769338_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-23799300-1299769350_thumb.jpg

Guest notascoobie

Eddy,

Thanks very much for the extra phots. They will be most useful.

I have the Ken Wherret drawing for the Ale Van from c1961 MRN, but the height to the eaves is different to the etched model.

All the best.

Regards,

Vernon

By a strange coincidence, I was rummaging through some old papers this morning and what should turn up, but a photocopy of the Werrett Ale Van drawing (presumably from the MRN article, it is page no. 11)? One of those things that had long faded from memory.

Are ale van drawings like buses?

Guest notascoobie

By a strange coincidence, I was rummaging through some old papers this morning and what should turn up, but a photocopy of the Werrett Ale Van drawing (presumably from the MRN article, it is page no. 11)? One of those things that had long faded from memory.

Are ale van drawings like buses?

Hi Eddie,

Page 11 it is. I wonder how many more page elevens there are out there.

Regards,

Vernon

Archived