City Basin Goods

D1059

Hi,

Have you decided which couplers you're going to use yet? I've just finished track laying and wiring my small layout and I want to be able to carry out hands-off shunting using one of the delayed action uncouplers - after hours of research I've decided that the MBD couplers appear to be the best all round one but would like confirmation from someone with practical experience of fitting and using them (not having to do any soldering is a big plus in my book!).

Regards, Steve T.

Hi,

Have you decided which couplers you're going to use yet? I've just finished track laying and wiring my small layout and I want to be able to carry out hands-off shunting using one of the delayed action uncouplers - after hours of research I've decided that the MBD couplers appear to be the best all round one but would like confirmation from someone with practical experience of fitting and using them (not having to do any soldering is a big plus in my book!).

Regards, Steve T.

Hi - sorry, only just noticed your posting. I'm going to use MBDs

I have a couple of test wagons fitted with MBDs and shuttled them up and down my test board over a gaugemaster electro-magnet. They work really well, and these were the first pair of couplings I had made so were quite rough compared to more recent ones after a bit of practise. I could even uncouple on the fly pushing them over the magnet without stopping, then leaving the wagons further down the siding. Still got to work out how to attach them to the locos, but I don't think it will be too hard.

Layout progress - point mechanisms are all in place and have started soldering up some 25 way D connectors to take the wiring over the board joint.

I have been using MBD couplings on my layout, P olpendra, for the last 3-4 years and have found them to be very reliable, easy to construct and fit and look ok as well. You can see the layout for piccies here -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43113-polpendra-cornish-branch-in-n-1958-62/page__p__465207&do=findComment&comment=465207

I use Seep electromagnets rather than permanent ones to stop the unintentional uncoupling. Also, it is worth including small details/vegetation/marks by the electromagnets as they are impossible to see when shunting etc - saves lots of frustrating back and forth trying to uncouple!!

Best wishes and enjoy!

Simon

• 3 months later...

Wiring is now more or less complete, locos are moving, the magnets work and the MBD coupling system seems to work OK as well.

Some shots attached

The trailing wires are temporary and show how my emergency power supply (Gaugemaster D) is attached to supply 16vAC to the Pictroller DIN socket and 12vDC to the magnets (which work on AC or DC)

STEVE

post-247-0-08002800-1357475150.jpg

post-247-0-89919500-1357475158.jpg

post-247-0-37389600-1357475164.jpg

post-247-0-72012300-1357475172.jpg

• 1 month later...

City Basin Goods will be at the Abingdon & District MRC show on 2nd March

Although I've helped operate numerous other layouts at shows over the years, this will be the first time I've shown one of my own................gulp

The layout is being displayed as work in progress - very little scenic work done yet, I've been concentrating on getting it running reliably and converting stock over to the auto couplings. Doesn't look like I'll get the new Dapol 22s in time though.

If you're at the show, drop by and say hi.

STEVE

• 4 weeks later...

Now that City Basin Goods first show is over I've got to start pressing on with some scenic work, and ballasting and rail painting are first up.

The main run round loop will be ballasted with Woodland Scenics fine brown and buff ballast, but its too large for the yard areas so I've been experimenting with some Geoscenics extra fine ash type powder.

Below is a pic of my test piece of track along with one of my mineral wagons that I have finally got round to putting a load of real coal in. Usual methods used to stick the ballast down - Woodland Scenics scenic cement with some extra washing up liquid in it applied with a pipette.

Does it look yard like to you ?

Next question is how to blend in the yard ballasting with the mainline ?

post-247-0-66812600-1363290840.jpg

Edited by D1059

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another lesson learnt at Banrail was that I need a reliable coupling height gauge to ensure consistent, reliable operation

A few scraps of plastic rod, card and a spare coupling base-plate have been put together and it doubles as a buffer stop in the fiddle yard

post-247-0-24786200-1380828704.jpg

Edited by D1059

Love the new photo of the shed, very nicely modeled.

Odd question, but what did you use for the grass on the embankments? it looks great!

Thanks. I can't claim credit for the wooden goods shed. It was built for me by a fellow club member, very nicely done as well. All I did was paint and weather it

In the era of static grass this is very old fashioned - medical lint, dyed olive green, stuck fluffy side down with PVA and the backing pulled off when dry. It needs some tonal variation adding at some point using water colours

• 1 month later...

After City Basin Goods first 2 shows its time to start weathering some of the locos into more typical late 60s condition

First off, one of the blue Warships (renumbered and named as well) and the layouts solitary Diesel Electric

Still a few things to do - eg headcode panel numbers for the 47 and a touch of dirt for the wheels on the Warship

post-247-0-24135900-1385728660_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-00353700-1385728667_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-65007800-1385728680_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-27824900-1385728687_thumb.jpg

Edited by D1059
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...