City Basin Goods

D1059

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just making a note to have a proper read at home :)

Looking good, I was, for some reason assuming it to have a continuous run (was browsing on my phone in my lunch break) as I can't see the initial planning and mini model but later posts have filled in the detail.

I'll be keeping an eye on how it progresses

Edited by Black Sheep

Just making a note to have a proper read at home :)

Looking good, I was, for some reason assuming it to have a continuous run (was browsing on my phone in my lunch break) as I can't see the initial planning and mini model but later posts have filled in the detail.

I'll be keeping an eye on how it progresses

Thanks - I had a lot of the earlier pics on an external hosting site which went belly up and never got round to loading them as attachments instead

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

An appeal for help please

I have just acquired a new Class 04 to shunt the aggregate trains into and out of the private siding after the previous one expired.

It runs much better than the old one, but not well enough to avoid some stalling (inevitable I guess with such a short, rigid, wheelbase). I think I'm going to have to resort to using a spare conflat wagon as a runner fitted with extra pickups - has anyone done this and has some photos showing the pickup arrangement on the wagon underframe please

Thanks

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope you enjoyed the show at Abingdon - CIty Basin Goods performed well and I nearly ran out of info sheets, such was the interest. Thanks

One for the hydraulic enthusiasts - the only loco problem all day was the failure in traffic of my Class 47 - the only diesel electric I have. For some reason it has a dead short whenever power is applied. A works visit beckons.

Enjoyed watching at the show, didn't get to say hello as you were busy with other guests chatting and my 16mth old doesn't have a very long attention span before wanting to move on! 

She did enjoy watching briefly (she enjoyed the show itself)

• 5 months later...

Nice to see some of you at the GCR(N) show last weekend at Ruddington. First time I've done a 2 day show. It was interesting having an 8F steam up directly outside the shed door on Saturday and seeing 03 118 start up and move around at the other end on Sunday while operating the layout :)

City Basin Goods worked OK during the show, the only casualty being the cement siding uncoupling magnet operating button which disappeared through the baseboard when pushed on Sunday afternoon - stripped thread and failed locking nut. I have some replacements on order which have the locking nut on the back

Next show - Banbury on 27th September

• 6 months later...

Been a while since I updated the thread so here's some pics including the backscene that was completed over last summer and the latest project I've been working on - Brute trolleys for the parcels depot.These were from Shire Scenes etches and quite a challenge to put together cleanly, but look nice now finished

post-247-0-81224200-1455828684_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-59195300-1455828691_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-89640200-1455828700_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-18842600-1455828714_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-72139600-1455828721_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-04373300-1455828728_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks guys

Brian - Regarding the backscene. The large industrial building on its own is at Gloucester Docks. The cityscape - I don't know where it is. I found a large panoramic shot on Flickr to use as a basis. Then in Photoshop I added the gas holder and lengthened the overall scene by cutting in an extra piece of the shot - so part of it repeats, but its not obvious unless you look closely. I also used part of the sky from the cityscape to change the sky on the Gloucester Docks shot so it matched in better.

Strictly speaking the cityscape is too modern for 1969/70 but as its N I can get away with it as the details don't stand out too much

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

As I had not studied the line-up for the Taunton it was a pleasant surprise to find City Basin Goods, it looks even better than in the photos.

I mentioned I am not normally a great fan of N gauge but this was really good use of space and most believable,

many thanks for bringing it along,

cheers

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

As I had not studied the line-up for the Taunton it was a pleasant surprise to find City Basin Goods, it looks even better than in the photos.

I mentioned I am not normally a great fan of N gauge but this was really good use of space and most believable,

many thanks for bringing it along,

cheers

Kevin

Thanks Kevin - sorry, only just found your post

• 3 months later...

Hi Steve...

I saw CBG at Yate today and I was really impressed with the quality of the modelling and the operation.

I abolutely love the lasercut Parcels warehouse, as one of my favourite elements on a model railway are buildings that dominate the scene and dwarf the rolling stock.

Randall

• Like 1

Hi Steve...

I saw CBG at Yate today and I was really impressed with the quality of the modelling and the operation.

I abolutely love the lasercut Parcels warehouse, as one of my favourite elements on a model railway are buildings that dominate the scene and dwarf the rolling stock.

Randall

Thanks Randall - much appreciated

Next show for City Basin Goods is Redhill on 14th April