Bachmann Derby Lightweight

LTfan

Jol re Ultrascale, no idea.

However, the Bachmann Class 105 and 108 DMU's have a simple conversion kit marketed by Branchlines, the motor bogie or 'drive and transmission' is likely to be the same unit for the DLW's (split axle), therefore the Branchlines 108 kit should do the trick http://branchlines.b...108-wheels.html

Ive used the 108 kit and fitted it to a 105 in EM http://bawdsey.files...07/img_4038.jpg and can report that its a very simple conversion and good quality, I'll be using them again for my DLW assuming the kit fits.

The link doesn't work, but this one does: http://branchlines.blogspot.com/

Regards

Just got my DLDMU today. A very nice model but as one says the lights are too bright - I am still an analog operator. I will need to address the coupling between the cars as this seems to me to be too far apart.

Looking forward to the next release with the later DMBS which has potential for conversion into the Battery Unit.

Guest Max Stafford

I've found in the past that a mixture of two sizes of Kadee worked with the 108 and 105; 17/18 if I remember correctly.

Dave.

As the two cars don't need to be uncoupled I first tried the Bachmann 'brake pipe' coupling as supplied with their Mk1s but this is no use. I have some ROCO type couplings somewhere I will try but a simple bar that fits into the NEM pockets might be the right answer.

One weakness I see is in the wheelsets. They have similar plastic sleeves to the dreaded pony trucks on the V2 which eventually warped and went wobly. We shall see how they fare in time.

I now need to retro a 101 to early spec (yellow diamond) to go with the DL. I have also a Cravens parcel unit to built which was also yellow diamond so I will couple to the Derby Lightweights.

I suspect that the single cars were conversions on the production line from a power twin as the two cars were different. Anyway I would imagine that Bachmann would take that into account on tooling up I'd imagine that the ideal way to sell them would be as a pair as they often worked together on busy days.

Then of course you have a further complication because all four cars in the four car units were different from anything else. You had 2 x DMCs, a TS and a TBS. The first class accommodation was in the centre of the DMCs.

The first class in the centre is another myth in the Cheona book.

Here is the diagram:

502small.jpg

The first class extended into the middle section but did not occupy all of it. Note also the lack of lavatory (likewise in the DMS at the other end - not another DMC) and the 2+2 seating (throughout the four cars) in second (originally third) class.

Here is a 4-car set with DMC nearest:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5813196312/in/set-72157603648796702

I've been looking at the Conway Valley original Derby Lightweights in Bill Rears book and those dated March 1956 and said to be brand new had white cab roofs, warning whiskers, split windscreens and one car driven. I've also looked through books covering the L&Y and LNWR Trans-Pennine routes into Yorkshire but cannot find a photo of a Lightweight. What would they have looked like circa 1955-6?

Well as you'll know, those units built 1954-55 would have plain roofs and no whiskers, photos suggest that white domes came first c.1956, with speed whiskers following quickly after. White domes on DLWs seem to have disappeared just as quickly, possibly by 1958/9, perhaps some DLWs never got them?

Thanks to Robert C for solving the 4-car DMC seating conundrum.

Looking in the Modelmaster/Grindlay fleet allocations, seven West Cumberland vehicles ( 5 DMBS + 2 DTC ) do seem to have escaped in 1965 to Buxton, Macclesfield and Llandudno Jct. for a short period, plus one complete set went to Reddish Electric depot in 1962, all nine vehicles returned to Carlisle prior to withdrawal. Interestingly, Reddish Electric depot acquired quite a collection of 2nd batch DLW units, not sure what services they worked? Newton Heath (26A) also had one odd unit for a number of years. Strangely, three of the five power twins were at Liverpool Brunswick (27F) around the late 50s, is that the CLC line? Llandudno Junction had a mixture, presumably power-trailers for the coast and the power-twins for the Blaenau Festiniog branch?

Cheers, Brian.

Does anyone know if the Cumbria sets Bachmann have modelled were similar to the Birmingham area sets which launched diesel service on what later became the Cross City? There seem to be so many variations between the different batches it's a bit difficult to keep up and as has been said, not all the written references are completely accurate.

I just think it would be nice to have one to run alongside the Electric Blue 85s when they arrive!

• RMweb Premium

These models do look very good, but unfortunately like the Cravens Class 105 that I remember bouncing around in – particularly on the Cromer line - I simply cannot justify a purchase. A single car version might be another matter since as deltic56 said they did get to Oxford, so not too far away to have been commandeered for a trip further south and west.

Re Andrew in Portugal

hattons have Lenz 21 pins decoders in stock now and there is also a loom available to allow use of 8 pin in 21 pins sockets, Also tthe Hornby sapphire decoder is a 21 pin decoder (R8245) it is supplied with a conversion loom to allow 8 pin sockets to be used also.

Personally I don't like the Hornby sapphire, but if I could get the Lenz that would be ok instead of the Bachmann. It's finding them when you want them that I was concerned about. Bachmann is selling all these new locos with 21-pin sockets but is not supplying sufficient 21-pin decoders on a regular basis to be used in them. Somewhere I read Bachmann were selling them at Warley - fine but why are they not shipping them to the shops. Too many shops, and in my case all those that I use regularly because overseas orders work well, have none and no idea when they will be back in stock. Perhaps they only buy in bulk to get discounts from Bachmann yet Bachmann doesn't currently have enough stock to fulfil those large orders? Whatever, 21-pin decoders always seem harder to come by than 8-pin.

The loom to convert 21-pin to 8-pin is a good idea in principle but takes more space to accommodate the wires, which the 21-pin decoder doesn’t have. So only a temporary solution for me, not a permanent one.

I have a Derby LW on order with Rails and phoned them to ask the status and was told that they were aware other suppliers had them. Rails say they contacted Bachmann about it and were told that suppliers who were attending Warley had been supplied. If this is true and I can't see any reason why they would tell porkies, then it doesn't seem like a particularly good way for Bachmann to behave.

Cheers Godders

I understood that the Bachmann and Hornby at least took turns in supplying shops first with new products. Logistically, neither can ship to all shops on the same day and even if they could it would mean the warehouse staff were overworked one day and under-employed the next. So, to give all retailers a fair crack at the whip, different shops get different models first.

Guest Max Stafford

So, if there is a different brake van arrangement, is the GSYP version on the way appropriate for a mid-'60s Carlisle unit?

Dave.

Brian Kirby :

Llandudno Junction had a mixture, presumably power-trailers for the coast and the power-twins for the Blaenau Festiniog branch?

Thanks for the infor on the West Yorkshire Units. Re. the Blaenau Ffestiniog Units, on a line where one would presume it had power-twins, all the photos I've seen show them to be single power cars & trailer. Even 3-car celebrity 'Daisy' (green Met-Camm) kept time on Blaenau services in the 1990's and yet wrecked the timetable when put on Wrexham-Bidston services. It became a 2-car set shortly after to make it more useful.

• RMweb Gold

These models do look very good, but unfortunately like the Cravens Class 105 that I remember bouncing around in – particularly on the Cromer line - I simply cannot justify a purchase. A single car version might be another matter since as deltic56 said they did get to Oxford, so not too far away to have been commandeered for a trip further south and west.

Personally I don't like the Hornby sapphire, but if I could get the Lenz that would be ok instead of the Bachmann. It's finding them when you want them that I was concerned about. Bachmann is selling all these new locos with 21-pin sockets but is not supplying sufficient 21-pin decoders on a regular basis to be used in them. Somewhere I read Bachmann were selling them at Warley - fine but why are they not shipping them to the shops. Too many shops, and in my case all those that I use regularly because overseas orders work well, have none and no idea when they will be back in stock. Perhaps they only buy in bulk to get discounts from Bachmann yet Bachmann doesn't currently have enough stock to fulfil those large orders? Whatever, 21-pin decoders always seem harder to come by than 8-pin.

The loom to convert 21-pin to 8-pin is a good idea in principle but takes more space to accommodate the wires, which the 21-pin decoder doesn’t have. So only a temporary solution for me, not a permanent one.

I understood that the Bachmann and Hornby at least took turns in supplying shops first with new products. Logistically, neither can ship to all shops on the same day and even if they could it would mean the warehouse staff were overworked one day and under-employed the next. So, to give all retailers a fair crack at the whip, different shops get different models first.

They were in scant supply at Warley---none of the three major 'box-shifters' had them. I bought mine from Martells--the ONLY one they appeared to have on their stall. Apart from that,the only other sighting (on Saturday,at least) was on Kernow's stand.

So, if there is a different brake van arrangement, is the GSYP version on the way appropriate for a mid-'60s Carlisle unit?

Dave.

Good question. I've been weighing-up the pros and cons of factory-applied liveries on a fractionally incorrect model, vs respraying two exquisite speedwhsiker twins. At present, I'm havering towards the former, even with the sacrilege of applying wrong numbers for the model but appropriate to my traffic needs. At least the GSYP and BFYE aren't showing as nearly here yet, so I can dither for a wee bit longer yet.

Dave.

No, as the original sets as per Bachmann's first release had certain fittings altered and window bars to work over the M & C lines. The next lot went all over the place - North Wales, East Anglia, Birmingham, Lincolnshire.

Thanks be to Perth for that simple answer! Seems to me the best way to an accurate GSYP Hawick stopper is to add a yellow panel to the current speed whisker twin, then. I shall have to disturb the moths in my wallet sooner than I expected.

Archived