Lime Street Station

Les Green

Yes indeed, the people have been under detailed planning for some time now.  Lime Street will be next. I am currently preparing at least 150 figures taken from more than one manufacturer together with a few special conversions for specific characters just for the Lime Street scene alone, including hopefully some new late 1940's figures in autumn long coat and trilby's etc prepared specifically for this project.  

Once I get onto the platforms, bus queues, railway working areas and back streets the masses will definately swell in number. As you say there will be hundreds!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Press button "A" .............        (If you don't know what that refers to, ask your Dad)

For some time, Lime Street had some not very fine plastic Phone Boxes standing in front of the Hotel site.

John is replacing these with much finer etched brass versions, one of which will include one of Pete Goss's figures using the box for its proper purpose.

It's also in the plan to have lighting control on the layout, so that the passage of time from day to night can be represented.

To that end John has installed some tiny surface mount LEDs in the boxes:

post-3984-0-45921800-1464385108_thumb.jpg

These will be installed once the Hotel locating arrangements are finalised.

Steve.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic phone boxes. could you supply a bit of detail for us mere mortals to copy.

Telephone Boxes....

I'll try, but if I get any details wrong, I'm sure John will let me know and I'll update them....

I believe the boxes are based on a Langley Kit of etched brass sides and door, cast roof and cast interior detail.

Two interiors are provided - modern STD and older Button A and B.

post-3984-0-97335800-1464523810_thumb.jpg

John has detailed the interior for our period - 1947. i.e Button "A" to connect on answer, and Button "B" to get your money back if no reply.

They are glazed after painting and detailing of course.

The lighting uses Surface Mount LEDs:

post-3984-0-60992800-1464523857_thumb.jpg

This is one I installed in a Banner Repeater for Carlisle, but the same type was used in these Boxes.

John soldered two fine insulated wires to the LED. (Wire is "Kynar" 0.16mm conductor, 0.5mm over insulation.)

One was passed through a fine brass tube, and the second shorter one was soldered to the top of the tube.

This assembly was then glued inside the Phone Box, behind the front corner so that the tube was hidden, and the LED was in the centre of the "ceiling". The glue was a "Canopy" glue to prevent clouding the glazing.

The lower end of the tube extends below the baseboard.

The brass tube and the wire inside it was then connected to the electrical supply with lots of resisters to reduce the intensity.

Make sure to get the polarity correct.

When installed on Lime Street I believe they will have their own custom built power supply so the intensity can be adjusted to suit the ambient lighting

Hoping all this makes sense...

Steve.

• Like 5

Thanks Bill. I will try the acrylic method next time. I did leave the white paint to dry for a week. I have now repainted the white and will paint the black in a couple of weeks. I will keep you posted!

Les

Hi 

Paint the letters with Enamel  paint, leave to set over night, then use some acrylic paint and just paint over the whole lot.

Leave it to dry then get a bit of stiff card and rub over the sign, your end up with the letters clear of the back ground paint.

Darrren

Edited by darren01

• 4 weeks later...

Unbelievable...micro-modelling quality of the highest order :O

Sorry to disagree but for modelling of the highest order that will need the aroma of eau de urine emanating from the boxes!! That said they do look really really good.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to disagree but for modelling of the highest order that will need the aroma of eau de urine emanating from the boxes!! That said they do look really really good.

Adrian,

That's the man in the street behind the Hotel.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

The BRM show at Peterborough in October is your next chance :declare:

Steve

Just had a mailing from BRM about the Peterborough Show and noted that Lime Street is not listed as Exhibiting; have plans changed or have they made a, rather startling, omission???

See:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/shows/show/the-national-festival-of-railway-modelling/layouts

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Adrian,

That's the man in the street behind the Hotel.

Steve.

I've just been laughing at this photo - I was almost arrested for doing exactly that, very near there, one night in 1977 whilst a student in Liverpool!  I hope at some time I can get to see this layout, it's not an easy trip for me!

• RMweb Gold

Steve

Just had a mailing from BRM about the Peterborough Show and noted that Lime Street is not listed as Exhibiting; have plans changed or have they made a, rather startling, omission???

See:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/shows/show/the-national-festival-of-railway-modelling/layouts

Tony

Hi Tony,

We've just had a team meeting at John's today, to familiarise us all with the developments and have a "shake down" of the changes.

John spoke with BRM over lunch, and we can confirm that we will be exhibiting at Peterborough.

Steve.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is absolutely incredible modelling! It's the kind of thing I wish I could do, but have neither the time, the experience or, if I'm honest, the patience! 

For me, having grown up on the other side of the world on the wrong side of the millennia, this is one of the closest things I can get to seeing what life was actually like back then 50+ years before I was born. Having never seen the real thing I can't say that it looks like it, however I have gone and had a look at some images just to see what it is, and it's absolutely spot on. Absolute first-rate modelling. Wish I could see it in person, but again am on the wrong side of the globe :(

Love the work, and look forward to more updates! 

Peter

*Edited for spelling*

Edited by 60012 Commonwealth of Australia

Peter,

Thanks for your very kind comments.

Our team motto is "cos we can". Hope we live up to it.

We love taking the layout abroad, but Aus might be a little too far.

Steve.

Yeah I thought so haha. I'm planning on eventually coming to the UK to study, or if I'm lucky to eventually become a resident so when I'm there in 5-10 years time (hopefully) I'll be able to see it in flesh! I don't doubt that it would be worth the wait!

Peter

Just a brief question about the Fulgurex point motors - 

What's your experience with them like, and how hard are they to wire up? I currently use DCC Concepts Cobalt point motors, however depending on the difficulty/skill level needed to wire up the Fulgurex motors, they would be far more convenient, and not only because of the space but also the price difference.

Thanks,

Peter

• Like 1