Lime Street Station

Les Green

There have been a few adverse comments elsewhere on RMweb about a lack of movement on the layout.

I can assure you there is almost always something moving, but it can't always be seen from any particular location.

Indeed, as operators, we can't see much of the action either, which is why we need 22 CCTV cameras to enable us to maintain control.

The very nature of the prototype precludes a continuous flow of inbound and outbound trains.

There are no engine release facilities on any of the eleven platforms, meaning each arrival requires some sort of shunting movement before it can depart. (How easy  for the driver to just walk along the platform to the other end, and the "Arrival" becomes a "Departure".)

The need to perform this shunting is then handicapped by there being only one "Shunting Neck" up into the cutting.

This entails plenty of movement, but most is difficult to see.

Should we being leaving the wonderful station roof at home, so a view from above is more possible?

I'm not sure if that last idea you floated was a serious suggestion - but I think displaying the layout at a public exhibition without the roof in place is a brilliant idea. Much better to have it displayed separately so that serious modellers can appreciate the modelling skill involved and discuss the construction of it whilst at the same time all exhibition visitors (not necessarily serious modellers) can now see the trains properly. 

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

There have been a few adverse comments elsewhere on RMweb about a lack of movement on the layout.

I can assure you there is almost always something moving, but it can't always be seen from any particular location.

Indeed, as operators, we can't see much of the action either, which is why we need 22 CCTV cameras to enable us to maintain control.

Such comments do bug me. I think the fact that I couldn't get near the layout at any point on Saturday shows that you were entertaining folks and that there's plenty to see. I haven't seen many such comments from previous large shows so maybe it's just a Warley thing as those going around with their I-Spy books only give a layout a couple of minutes before moving on and that's not what such an impressive scene is about. Even if you've seen the layout before there are always new and really interesting developments to look out for.

• RMweb Gold

I knew this layout would attract a huge crowd so I made it my first stop (after a breakfast panini and coffee mind). I was able to talk to one of the operators who was very friendly and he talked to me about the power issues first thing and the layout in general. I was able to look around the whole layout, take my time, take a couple of pictures of the hotel/street scene, admire the incredible work that went into the canopy and soak up the atmosphere. There were a couple of trains running and three around the turntable. Plenty to look at, and plenty more left to do i'm sure. I would not want to see this layout stripped down just so folks can see trains. I crouched down and a street level view is amazing. I think that applies to all model railways. They are always best viewed as if you are standing on the platform, or the street.

I couldnt give two hoots about seeing trains operate constantly - its not the only reason I enjoy model railways, and I am easily entertained taking time to observe the small details, talk to the operators, look at ingenious animations, and work out how it was done. At a local model rail show recently there was a layout called "Long Melford". They had chickens in a corner of a field happily pecking away at the ground. I was more entertained and intrigued by that than 3 or 4 LNER loco's going by with rakes of coaches/wagons behind them!

Each to their own I guess, and long may our individualities continue!

• Like 2

I knew this layout would attract a huge crowd so I made it my first stop (after a breakfast panini and coffee mind). I was able to talk to one of the operators who was very friendly and he talked to me about the power issues first thing and the layout in general. I was able to look around the whole layout, take my time, take a couple of pictures of the hotel/street scene, admire the incredible work that went into the canopy and soak up the atmosphere. There were a couple of trains running and three around the turntable. Plenty to look at, and plenty more left to do i'm sure. I would not want to see this layout stripped down just so folks can see trains. I crouched down and a street level view is amazing. I think that applies to all model railways. They are always best viewed as if you are standing on the platform, or the street.

I couldnt give two hoots about seeing trains operate constantly - its not the only reason I enjoy model railways, and I am easily entertained taking time to observe the small details, talk to the operators, look at ingenious animations, and work out how it was done. At a local model rail show recently there was a layout called "Long Melford". They had chickens in a corner of a field happily pecking away at the ground. I was more entertained and intrigued by that than 3 or 4 LNER loco's going by with rakes of coaches/wagons behind them!

Quite often where possible I take a long look at the stock in the fiddle yards as I get just as much enjoyment looking at the stock as the scenic area, having said this the bulk of viewing public enjoy seeing trains move, one of my old show managers always tried to impress on exhibitors to have as much movement as possible and ensured to have a good selection of roundy/roundy layouts, which mostly always had more viewers

• RMweb Gold

As a demonstrator at Warley my only chance to see layouts was on my way to and from lunch when I would pick out those I wanted to see or had been recommended to me. Thankfully, I had a good look at Lime Street on friday evening whilst setting up as each time I went past it you couldn't get near it which I think tells its own story. 

Staggering modelling - and that roof makes mine on Bath look like a fancy porch!

Jerry 

• Like 5

Don't listen to the moaners (on here or elsewhere) about lack of movement as I think the best layouts are those that engage you while there are no trains running. I suspect that the layouts of those who moan about no trains running will be of next to no interest to me ;)

Roof On for me !

cheers

Will

P.S. I really enjoy this thread so please do continue to update :)

• RMweb Gold

I recall at a show a year or so ago on one of our layouts we had a viewer complaining that he hadn’t seen a train move for seconds and stormed off so you can’t win but I was happy just looking at Lime Street regarding any trains having first seen it at the Furness show some years ago. The underneath is very fascinating to see let alone the scenic elements.

Stuff the nay-sayers...this is an outstanding showcase of railway modelling, regardless of whether there is a constant procession of trains. I’d like to see the roof on at future exhibitions; it is one of the many stand out features of the layout. A view of the station with no roof isn't possible on the prototype, so why should it be presented as such on the model?

At the end of the day, the layout should be how the Lime Street crew want it.

Thanks,

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

Like you Ian I made a bee line for LLS after my breakfast and took up position firstly at the hotel end as it was the first time I’d seen that in the flesh, and then moved round to the front, and finally down to the traverser. In all three positions I was able to talk with the operators about things on the layout or procedural issues. I had good views of what was moving at the time, or what was held in the cutting.

By the afternoon when I swung by again it was indeed 4 or 5 deep so I think it’s a case of forward planning with what is a must see for you and then being realistic in your expectations. You can’t get to see everything in one day. LLS is a prototype model with reasonably prototypical operation. If you want 5 trains flashing past your nose in 30 seconds then this was possible to see but somewhere else in the hall

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having seen LLS many times since one of it's first shows (Southport?), there is one thing that cannot be faulted. It has stayed true to John Holden's aim of portraying LLS and it's environs in the best way that he and his team can. He has never changed what he wanted to do on the back of the opinion of a minority.

After all - at the end of the day it is John Holden's train set (apologies to John for describing it so!) and if it's what JH wants, then that's what JH gets.

It is a credit to John and his team

And yes - I do have a connection to the LLS team. They are all members of Blackburn & East Lancs MRS and we are proud to have them so.

Cheers,

Mick

Chairman B&ELMRS

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 13

The very same people complaining about lack of trains would probably complain about lack of realism if there were trains entering and leaving every 30 seconds. Some people will never be happy.

We're lucky a layout of this size and brilliance gets exhibited and isn't in someone's shed permanently.

So I went to Warley mainly to see LLS.  Superb architectural modelling, superb track, superb stock.  I waited until the crowds reduced mid afternoon, then spent two hours soaking in the atmosphere.

One thought, I would describe LLS as a working diorama.  Whilst there are probably two items of stock moving somewhere, they may take a while to reach my eyeball - in which case I can admire a building or the cutting wall. 

Warley cost me about £25, well worth it just for LLS.

Bill

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

The last of the Claughtons lasted until 1947. All the others were scrapped around 1939. 6004 was the very last and would have been seen in the Liverpool area in our period. This one, from a DJH kit, will need a lot of weathering before it is in the correct state for our model. Though I think we will run it in this condition for a while!

post-8613-0-14420000-1545662791_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

A couple of small huts the for the Signal Box at Lime Street Station. Both are 3D prints in two parts, the walls and the roof. They will be located either side of the box. The high chimney is, presumably, to lift the smoke above the windows of the signal box.

post-8613-0-88298300-1545662997_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

So I went to Warley mainly to see LLS.  Superb architectural modelling, superb track, superb stock.  I waited until the crowds reduced mid afternoon, then spent two hours soaking in the atmosphere.

One thought, I would describe LLS as a working diorama.  Whilst there are probably two items of stock moving somewhere, they may take a while to reach my eyeball - in which case I can admire a building or the cutting wall. 

Bill

Agree,  this looks to be one magnificent layout but of course I can't pass judgment until I see it in the flesh when it comes to Adelaide( I tried this this with the Hills of the North Layout  :angel:  :angel: ) oh well I can but dream :laugh:  :laugh:

Wonderful stuff Les and your group.

Merry Wotsit

Rgds........Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bill

I remember many many years ago going to Derby Museum on lots of occasions and I always as a child made a bee line to the model railway there, very rarely did I see anything operating but to me it was fascinating.....the detail was reminiscent of a real railway, oozed atmosphere, made you think you were lineside, that's what LLS looks like to me...............still when it comes to Adelaide I will be able to verify :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Mike

Edited by ikks