Lime Street Station

Les Green

Very good video with plenty of train movements but as others have said with a layout of that quality you don't just go to watch the trains.

I have watched your layout develop over the years and am just amazed at the amount of detail you have put into it, if its ever being exhibited when I'm in the UK it would be at the top of my must see list.

On the video the suburban set appears to have a triplet unit in it, I havn't seen these before on an LMS layout, could you tell me where these were used and for how long as it could make an interesting model

• RMweb Gold

Hola Richard,

Thanks very much for your comments and the question about the Triplet set.

John (the owner) has sent me the following:

The articulated sets were an experiment the LMS tried out in the mid 1930's. The main advantage was the reduction in weight, (a three coach set would have two less bogies), however they were never a success as they had limited route availability due to the loading gauge issues and being non standard vehicles were more involved for maintenance.
Apart from the sets that were built for the Coronation Scot, there were two main types corridor and non corridor. The latter featuring standard truss arrangement and the former a specially developed centrally trussed arrangement.
I have no information as to where these sets worked other than some larger (10coach) sets were designed to work London Tilbury route, and St Pancras to Bedford. I can only assume a number of sets were dispatched to other areas to assess there performance.  Close examination of photographs in books show these sets in operation around the LMS network but as mentioned above care had to be taken as to which routes they were used on due to the loading gauge issues. These being of course the extra "overhang" on curves due to the longer bogie centres.
More information on the articulated stock can be gleaned from David Jenkinson's book  "An Illustrated History of LMS Coaches".

I hope this is helpful

Steve.

Hola Richard,

Thanks very much for your comments and the question about the Triplet set.

John (the owner) has sent me the following:

The articulated sets were an experiment the LMS tried out in the mid 1930's. The main advantage was the reduction in weight, (a three coach set would have two less bogies), however they were never a success as they had limited route availability due to the loading gauge issues and being non standard vehicles were more involved for maintenance.
Apart from the sets that were built for the Coronation Scot, there were two main types corridor and non corridor. The latter featuring standard truss arrangement and the former a specially developed centrally trussed arrangement.
I have no information as to where these sets worked other than some larger (10coach) sets were designed to work London Tilbury route, and St Pancras to Bedford. I can only assume a number of sets were dispatched to other areas to assess there performance.  Close examination of photographs in books show these sets in operation around the LMS network but as mentioned above care had to be taken as to which routes they were used on due to the loading gauge issues. These being of course the extra "overhang" on curves due to the longer bogie centres.
More information on the articulated stock can be gleaned from David Jenkinson's book  "An Illustrated History of LMS Coaches".

I hope this is helpful

Steve.

Thanks for that I was a big fan of David Jenkinson and his work and have a couple of his books but not that one so I might have to investigate further.

Regards

Richard

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/02/2019 at 09:40, GordonC said:

Those look fantastic!!

When were those lights originally fitted in the (prototype) tunnel?

Hi GordonC

We can't be certain of the exact date, but we have seen evidence that they were fitted pre-1950.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Calvin,

I believe the phone boxes are kits from Langley's.

They comprise an Etch, which folds up for the main structure, with a cast roof.

There are two interiors: the older Button A & B and the later STD Dial model.

John has added the lighting using very small surface mount LEDs.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...