Lime Street Station

Les Green

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 13:11, Steve Hewitt said:

John has taken advantage of unrestrained access to his railway to tackle one of the "elephant" tasks - Ballasting and Point Rodding in the Station and Station Throat.

Steve,  what ballast and method of glueing does John use?

Robin

• RMweb Gold

Robin,

John has sent me this response:

"Robin,

The ballast I used was Woodland Scenics  Granit Ballast the N gauge variety, I like most others find the 00 offering a little oversized. After the rail sides had been painted a suitable rust colour the ballast was laid and dressed down between the sleepers until I was happy with it's appearance.

I then followed the well practiced method of saturating the ballast using a fine spray of water with a few drops of washing up liquid in, followed by diluted PVA glue dripped on using a pipet.

I find that individual stone chippings will somehow magically move up onto the sleepers during this process, so using a fine tipped scribe they can be pushed back where they belong. The secret is not to try to do too much in one sitting, I usually only do about one foot of double track in one sitting, this gives you time to adjust any problems before the glue goes off and also protects your sanity !

I had an immense area to do but just working through it methodically it soon starts to take shape, the upside to Lockdown is that it has been a great opportunity to get this job out of the way! So now it's on with the point rodding.

Cheers,

John."

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little more progress........

John has been working on enhancing the Loco Servicing area of the station.

The latest devlopment is a small building/workshop/lamp room?????

The model was 3D printed by Les Green, painted and weathered by Rob Harrison and the interior completed by John.

He has sent the following information about the lighting and the building's installation.

"The first shot shows the footprint of the building, note that it straddles the two baseboards. The far pin is purely for location, and the near pins locate and provide power from the three phase gas supply."

416023549_LampRoom1.jpg.6a895ed9542144235fceeeb0d6b5a5e2.jpg

I have used veroboard to wire the lights up, two internal ones and one wall lamp on the gable end.

They are LEDs, you can see a capacitor on the end of the board to convert the gas effect to an electric light effect.536847654_LampRoom2.jpg.009ea98d4b8ee7c9ac6becf490b87cb1.jpg

Finally the building in place lit up !

1083160408_LampRoom3.jpg.4ff95cb3564bb668b3abc678593a687a.jpg

I believe there are a few more deatails to be added, such as a Bike Shed, but no doubt I'll reprort on those as and when.

Steve.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latest contribution..........

Many years ago I built a DJH 8F kit in 00 gauge for the Blackburn club's "Oxenholme" layout.

The layout is now sadly just a memory, so I've converted the 8F to EM gauge and relivieried it into Wartime Black.

Here's a little video of it being tested prior to asking Rob to touch up the paintwork and weather it:D.

Steve.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1