Lime Street Station

Les Green

Now for the really mind blowing post regarding the Lime Street Layout project. John recently moved house so that he could have a big enough garden in which to build a shed to house the layout. The shed was started in January of this year and we had the opening ceremony yesterday. Six months of building.

It looks fabulous - what are the internal dimensions of the building?

Robin

A model only 13mm high that raises the bar of modelling! Stunning work. Stunning layout.

As for the building being 1mm too long - easy answer, make the hole the size of the model! Guess how I know that!

It looks fabulous - what are the internal dimensions of the building?

Robin

I was about to say 10mm less than the outside dimensions, then I realised you meant the shed and not the hotel model! The shed internals are 5m x 22.5m!!

I was about to say 10mm less than the outside dimensions, then I realised you meant the shed and not the hotel model! The shed internals are 5m x 22.5m!!

Thanks Les - I should have been more specific. That is big :O I compared the size with the space I have for Barrow Road and realised the footprint is three times the size.

I think it is time for a move :)

What is the room at the end of the building used for [ furthest from the house]?

I am about to start making the first set of trusses for the station roof. The top part of the truss is a brass 'H' section girder. The span is about 700mm and the radius is 550mm.

The first batch of 16 have been curved in a set of rollers.

post-8613-0-23068500-1312710065_thumb.jpg

Most of the girders are within a tolerance of less than a millimetre over the central part of the girder. The outer few milimetres of each girder is a bit ropey and will be removed. Unfortunately one or two of the giders have twisted during the rolling process. Difficult to explain and difficult to photograph. However, looking at the drawing below, the radius of curvature of the girder should be in the YY axis. One or two have curved in the Y'Y' axis.

post-8613-0-41577000-1312710073_thumb.jpg

I tried to ensure all the rollers were parallel and the girder was fed into the rollers perpendicular to the rollers. It seemed random as to which were OK and which were twisted. Even when I managed to set the rollers in one position a bad one could follow a good one with no roller adjustment.

Anybody any ideas what I am doing wrong.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Anybody any ideas what I am doing wrong.

Hi Les,

Is it possibly due to variations in the metal thickness along it's length? Is there any way of having some sort of alignment guide before and after the rollers to try an keep it in the YY axis?

Just another thought - are you doing the bend in one pass? Maybe two or three passes, adding to the curvature each time?

How about annealing the brass to make it a bit softer?

Cheers,

Mick

I have checked the web thicknesses and they are all the same. Guides in the rollers? I have thought about that and may get a channel turned into each roller. Tried single pass and multiple passes. Not sure which is best. May be two passes, one in each direction.

A bit of progress with the 3D model of the North Western Hotel. The two central towers are now complete.

They are not quite mirror images. One of the towers has two chimney stacks with 7 chimney pots on each stack. The other has one stack with 7 pots on and one with 6 pots on. Never assume anything!!!

post-8613-0-85271200-1313251794_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit of progress with the 3D model of the North Western Hotel. The two central towers are now complete.

They are not quite mirror images. One of the towers has two chimney stacks with 7 chimney pots on each stack. The other has one stack with 7 pots on and one with 6 pots on. Never assume anything!!!

post-8613-0-85271200-1313251794_thumb.jpg

Les,

Are we going to make it in Marzipan?

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hi Les,

Is it possibly due to variations in the metal thickness along it's length? Is there any way of having some sort of alignment guide before and after the rollers to try an keep it in the YY axis?

Just another thought - are you doing the bend in one pass? Maybe two or three passes, adding to the curvature each time?

How about annealing the brass to make it a bit softer?

Cheers,

Mick

Les,

I think Mick is probably on the right lines.

If we anneal the deformed beams, we should be able to "twist" them straight again.

They will age harden on their own after a while, so being as strong as the others for use in the structure.

Steve

spent a nice day at John's today.

had a run anything day so I brought along a couple of things..

firstly, my 502 built by Matt Farrell, somehow diverted from Liverpool exchange :)

502limest.jpg

my Black 5 detailed by Max Stafford.

black51.jpg

black52.jpg

black5limest.jpg

a shot along the bridges.

limest1.jpg

Lime street itself

limest11.jpg

being watched by the local bobby

limest3.jpg

limest5.jpg

John's sound equipped class 40 sounded great

limest6.jpg

LIMEST7.jpg

limest8.jpg

limest9.jpg

and John's Prototype deltic

limest14.jpg

limest15.jpg

Mike

• Like 11

spent a nice day at John's today.

had a run anything day so I brought along a couple of things..

firstly, my 502 built by Matt Farrell, somehow diverted from Liverpool exchange :)

Mike

Thanks for sharing, Mike.

A masterpiece of modelling.

Jonte

• RMweb Gold

Those are great pictures Michael.

Rob and I have just had a full day with John.

Most of the time was spent operating with a revised sequence, which seems to improve the efficiency at the Station.

Les dropped in for a few hours to do some more work on the Station Roof and the Hotel.

He left with a quantity of John's books, which I guess are part of his "homework".

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Prior to the above mentioned opening ceremony a bit of progress was made on the station structure.

post-8613-0-80463400-1311498388_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-43219500-1311498400_thumb.jpg

The completed columns were trial fitted to the station platforms. They will now be removed for painting before their final glueing in position.

Also I managed to knock up the first of the roof trusses on the morning of the opening ceremony. Only another 39 to make!

post-8613-0-79183000-1311498426_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-80559300-1311498434_thumb.jpg

The remainder cannot be made until the columns are fixed. Only then can we measure the truss span dimensions. The one I made for the opening ceremony was made to the drawing dimensions. Hopefully this will be correct to at least one of the final measured dimensions!!

Rob is more than half way through the painting of the Columns.

He brought the finished ones today and they do look great!

John is now looking for 4mm pidgeons as they have left several "calling cards" on the Columns.......

Steve.

Les dropped in for a few hours to do some more work on the Station Roof and the Hotel.

He left with a quantity of John's books, which I guess are part of his "homework".

Steve.

Homework done! I scanned some photos of the hotel as it was in its early days. Photos which show the original window frames, which are different to today's double glazed units. One of the photos must have been taken in summer time, all the windows are open!

This is absolutely awe inspiring and fantastic. I am so envious. Well done to all concerned. I'm not sure what predated the class 40s on Liverpool-Newcastle workings but it would be great to see an A3 on this layout from my (admitedly biased) point of view.

Regards,

Brian.