Lime Street Station

Les Green

3 hours ago, Steve Hewitt said:

Latest contribution..........

Many years ago I built a DJH 8F kit in 00 gauge for the Blackburn club's "Oxenholme" layout.

The layout is now sadly just a memory, so I've converted the 8F to EM gauge and relivieried it into Wartime Black.

Here's a little video of it being tested prior to asking Rob to touch up the paintwork and weather it:D.

Steve.

Nice one, Steve.

• Thanks 1

Much as I like 8Fs, it's rather an oddity for Lime Street. I only ever saw one there: 8033 on 23 June 1968 working the LCGB's Two Cities railtour.

Which isn't to say it isn't a nice model, or that won't be an asset to the model!

48033 Lime Street turntable for The Two Cities Ltd 23-06-68 Jim Norman 002.jpg

Edited by LMS2968
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Taking things slowly.........

Several years ago I built a DJH 8F kit to run on the Blackburn Club's 00 layout "Oxenholme".

This layout has sadly gone  the way of all things, so I decided to convert the loco to EM gauge so it could run on John Holden's Liverpool Lime Street.

After one false start and several years of procrastination I got it running on a rolling road and a 1 metre long test track.

I passed it on to John to see if it was up to Lime Street standards, and after several tweaks and adjustments it was deemed fit to be fitted with Kaydees and tried out on the railway.

Here is the rfesult:

Not being seen regularly at Lime Street, we now have to find an excuse to build an 8F into to timetable.

Steve.

• Like 14

29 minutes ago, Steve Hewitt said:

Not being seen regularly at Lime Street, we now have to find an excuse to build an 8F into to timetable.

Perhaps a last minute stand in for a failed Black 5 or Patriot on a Parcels train?

19 hours ago, Steve Hewitt said:

Taking things slowly.........

Several years ago I built a DJH 8F kit to run on the Blackburn Club's 00 layout "Oxenholme".

This layout has sadly gone  the way of all things, so I decided to convert the loco to EM gauge so it could run on John Holden's Liverpool Lime Street.

After one false start and several years of procrastination I got it running on a rolling road and a 1 metre long test track.

I passed it on to John to see if it was up to Lime Street standards, and after several tweaks and adjustments it was deemed fit to be fitted with Kaydees and tried out on the railway.

Here is the rfesult:

Steve.

Black 8, one of my favourites.
Lovely job.
Great to see her running 'Bucket First'.:heart_mini:
Regards,
Chris.

• 1 month later...

Steve

Looks terrific and good to see Comet chassis working under a DJH loco

Next time you do a conversion it would be nice if you take some photos of the process. I have a few locos myself to convert from 00 to EM  so have a vested interest in the process

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, hayfield said:

Steve

Looks terrific and good to see Comet chassis working under a DJH loco

Next time you do a conversion it would be nice if you take some photos of the process. I have a few locos myself to convert from 00 to EM  so have a vested interest in the process

Hi John,

Thanks for your comment.

I'm afraid I'm not likely to do any more conversions as I don't have any more locos!

Nothing special in the process, just a fairly straight forward chassis build as per instructions, using a Hobby Holidays Chassis Jig.

Much hacking at the body to get it to fit.

Its been converted to run on Liverpool Lime Street and John Holden has refined my conversion to smooth out the running and added extra pick-ups (to the tender).

Steve.

Steve

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I have a couple of DJH locos to convert, I think the chassis were designed with 00 gauge in mind, I am not too concerned about the mainframes as these are an easier conversion, but its the clearance for the motion that I fear.

But there are a lot of us who like to see how others build things and we are always learning new things (or those we forgot) about building techniques. I do have a Hobby Holidays jig, one of the best bits of kit I ever bought

Hope you all are well, I still have fond memories of your visit to the Watford Finescale show, all of you were so welcoming.  Keep well  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Steam supply connected.......

Some while back we saw the 3D printed Boiler House which Les Green created, and the chimney installed with its steam generating plant,

John and Rob have now installed the steam delivery pipework which runs on a gantry between the Boiler House and the Factory building.

Looking across the station throat:

954312398_SteamPiping1crop.jpg.1abf5b5c4e57a25aed35e4a3f05b59d4.jpg

And from the overbridge:

1368894509_SteamPiping2crop.jpg.556d43b7b568cb1cc072472058037570.jpg

Running sessions are well under way now - Covid permitting - so I hope we'll get some more photos and possibly the odd (literally) video.

Steve.

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Those Crimson Lake liveried locos are sumptuous. It was the LMS lake locos which set me on my adult modelling track way back in the 70’s and LMS is still my first love, despite the occasional digression.

Brian

• Like 5