Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

Les has every rignt to be happy as he contemplates his Masterpiece....

post-3984-0-55396400-1318535353_thumb.jpg

However, this shot shows how much more he still has to do!

post-3984-0-94618000-1318536107_thumb.jpg

Les has started on the second "South" roof which will be similar in size to the first one.

The "North" roof will then be similarly modelled in two main sections, but they are wider and taller!

Steve.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

the road bridges look nicely weathered now

but that roof is something else. superb work Les!

last pic is now my wallpaper :)

Michael,

Rob has been doing a lot of work on the weathering front.

Each of the 60 odd pillars was the start, but he's now tackled several locos, the bridges you've noticed and he's on with the road way.

I hope to get some more photos of his artistry tomorrow.

Steve.

Edited by SteveAtBax

Les has every rignt to be happy as he contemplates his Masterpiece....

post-3984-0-55396400-1318535353_thumb.jpg

However, this shot shows how much more he still has to do!

post-3984-0-94618000-1318536107_thumb.jpg

Les has started on the second "South" roof which will be similar in size to the first one.

The "North" roof will then be similarly modelled in two main sections, but they are wider and taller!

Steve.

That roof looks stunning now, will be incredible when it is finished.

Colin

im wondering, why on some sections of the real roof (and model) it has 2 large arch spans very close to each other?

can see it in the centre of Les's first section.

presumably something to do with when it was constructed?

The extra truss is on the model only. There are two roof sections and I had to add another truss, without all the complex truss links, to help with the stability of the model.

Speed modelling!

Two and a half days later and the concourse sections of the roof are now ready for the hose pipe treatment and the spray shops. The straight roof was easier than the curved roof.

post-8613-0-59940300-1318607990.jpg

post-8613-0-64497300-1318608000.jpg

Think I will have a rest now until after the Utrecht show.

The northern roof is much bigger. The trusses are not yet made. They will have to be made first, once we get the brass girder sections delivered from the US.

• Like 15

This is a brilliant bit of work, and a layout that will take some beating. It also answers a question I had in the early 60's! What was Liverpool Lime street like? I worked at the Liverpool Post & Echo in Fleet street, and had to take parcels to Euston Station to be sent to Liverpool Lime street, and I always wondered what the station was like. Now I know. Thanks

John

Guest jim s-w

Hi guys

As someone who has to build a large (but considerably more boring and unpretty) roof myself what are your thoughts on rescuing errant vehicles from under the roof?

Cheers

Jim

The roof on the Lime Street model is about 10ft long. What you see in the pictures are the concourse end of the roof in two sections and the throat end of the roof, also in two sections. The original intention was to glaze the outer two sections and leave the inner two sections as they are now with no glazing and no glazing bars. The middle two feet of the station will have no roof at all. Access to any problems will be possible from the middle and end of the station. If there are problems that are innaccessible then it is only a one handed job to lift any section of roof off and plonk it back.

Now that some of the roof has been fitted to the layout our original ideas have changed a little. We are not glazing any of the roof as that will limit visibility of the layout. At exhibitions we may remove the inner sections to aid visibility. We will just have to see how it goes on that one. No plans yet for adding the central part of the roof and components for doing that have not been made, so it will be a big job to make the final roof sections.

I suppose the other answer is that the layout and stock are so reliable that we won't have any derailments or problems in the station. (We wish!!)

Guest jim s-w

Hi Les

Thanks for your very informative reply. We can but hope to make the layout and stock reliable but even then we have operators. Towards the end of a long show it

would be easy enough for an operator to be distracted and (in your case) hit the buffers or (in my case - as I have a and b platforms) hit a train already in the platform.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Michael,

Rob has been doing a lot of work on the weathering front.

Each of the 60 odd pillars was the start, but he's now tackled several locos, the bridges you've noticed and he's on with the road way.

I hope to get some more photos of his artistry tomorrow.

Steve.

I managed a few pics during our operating session yesterday.

Here's Rob, working on the new buffer stops on the Turntable roads.

post-3984-0-96149800-1318717652_thumb.jpg

And close-ups of some of his work:

post-3984-0-79391400-1318717674_thumb.jpg

Buffer stops

post-3984-0-15388400-1318717739_thumb.jpg

Stone and Iron Work on the bridges

post-3984-0-39088700-1318717759_thumb.jpg

One of the numerous roof pillars.

Steve.

• Like 5