Lime Street Station

Les Green

I'm glad Les made the comment that the glazing was to be left out for visibility. Imagine going to an exhibition and being blinded by the flash from many cameras off the glazing while you are trying to see down into the concourse! Hopefully I am just joking about the blinding flashes! With both roofs added across all roads, this will rate as one of those epics of modelling that deserve all the credit, magazine articles, photos and souvenirs (T-shirts, mugs, jigsaws, postcards, etc) possible.

That's a fantastic shot under the overall roof Les. Your track fascinates me as well, as you appear to eschew ballast. Is this the case? Do you spray it all grey?

Larry

Currently it is all sprayed a dark grey colour. This was one stage better than the cork colour. The next stage is to ballast the track. Ballasting was a bit further down the priority list for Utrecht later this month. Higher priority was given to the roof, signals, and reliable running.

I'm glad Les made the comment that the glazing was to be left out for visibility. Imagine going to an exhibition and being blinded by the flash from many cameras off the glazing while you are trying to see down into the concourse!

We are still not sure about the roof for exhibitions. Do we remove the inner two sections to make the platforms more visible? And do we make the final central section for completeness sake? Questions that will probably be answered after a few exhibitions I guess.

Just to add to Larry's question and Les's reply, Johns give the trackwork a coat of grey for the next show, note my earlier pics when it was bare cork, he's got a lot of cosmetic chairs to stick on the ply and rivet trackwork aswel as point rodding, and ballast of course

Thanks. I asked because I think the grey treatment is very effective in the environment of a city station and deep stone cutting.

• RMweb Gold

Here we go!

Here we go!
Here we go!

Five of us spent this morning completing the dismantling of the layout and learning how it is packed for ttransport.

We're off to Holland for the Eurospoor event in Utrecht on Wednesday.

Every element of the railway has a particular bespoke place within the transport system, and some of us had to be taught about this so we'd be prepared for the assembly process when we get to the event.

Typical trollies waiting outside the railway room:

post-3984-0-87902300-1319473183_thumb.jpg

One loaded trolley, just a few more items before it will be ready to be covered for loading in the van:

post-3984-0-81492300-1319473161_thumb.jpg

John explaining to Spike how the cables under the sector plate are stored for transport:

post-3984-0-84403200-1319473139_thumb.jpg

Almost finished, covered trollies ready in sequence for loading.

The large box between the first two trollies contains several buildings, and is carried on top of the first trolley, once loaded in the van.

Its too tall to go through the roller door when it-situ.

The padded containers stacked on the table each contain one unit of "pelmet" complete with flourescent tube, support leg, etc.

post-3984-0-32297900-1319473118_thumb.jpg

I'll try to get a few shots of the loaded van before we set off on Wednesday morning for the overnight ferry to Rotterdam........

Steve.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I hope you enjoy the show and the trip.

In January, my Isle of Skye Railway modules and I will take the ferry from Rotterdam to Hull, to visit the Irvine Show of the Kilmarnock & District Model Railway Club.

Markus

We have now arrived at Eurospoor and the layout is almost ready to run. The exhibition here is HUGE with some HUGE layouts. Certainly the biggest exhibition we have seen. One of the halls is devoted solely to traders and again is HUGE.

post-8613-0-05234900-1319721227_thumb.jpg

The layout next to us rolled up a few minutes ago and the first thing out of the van!

post-8613-0-91248700-1319721206.jpg

ten cases of beer and soft drinks!!! Priorities or what!

• Like 3

Here we are with Lime Street packed in the van arriving at the Hull Ferry Terminal ready to go to Rotterdam tonight.

post-8613-0-62760500-1319649637_thumb.jpg

Hi Les,

Enjoy the show, it is huge isn't it. I helped operate Middlepeak at the show some years ago and was blown away by the size of the venue, some of the layouts and the number of exhibits. Lime Street looks a bit lost in the hall.

Looking at your Transit Luton hire van does it come with a tail lift for the trolleys?

Regards,

Robin

• RMweb Premium

The Lime Street team relax on the ferry to Rotterdam. Railway modelling at its best.

post-8613-0-78714500-1319657242_thumb.jpg

2nd on the right looks a miserable s*d....... Two glasses of red and he's anybody's. :drink_mini:

Just keep him on a short lead and close to the layout. xD :locomotive:

Have a good trip guys!

Cheers,

Mick