Lime Street Station

Les Green

Here we are, resplendant in our new Lime Street polo shirts ready for the first day of action at Utrecht.

And this is how I saw you! Every time I saw it the layout was operating really well. It was interesting watching the locals goggling at the technology.

The best layout in a pretty good show.

And there's some splendid beer houses in Utrecht!

Regards

Andy

Just to show that the Lime Street didn't work too hard whilst away at Utrecht for the Eurospoor exhibition.

On the German ICE train to Amsterdam. There is a glass partition between the first class compartment and the driver.

post-8613-0-79206800-1320340315.jpg

On the roller coaster ride through the steam engine shed at Utrecht Railway Museum!

post-8613-0-26867100-1320340349.jpg

Spike drives (or tries to drive) the Dutch train simulator.

post-8613-0-52444700-1320340329.jpg

Finally the team pose for one last photo before the return home

post-8613-0-86618500-1320340358.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'll try to get a few shots of the loaded van before we set off on Wednesday morning for the overnight ferry to Rotterdam........

Steve.

Looking at your Transit Luton hire van does it come with a tail lift for the trolleys?

Regards,

Robin

For the record, here is the Luton van fully loaded and ready for the "Off".

post-3984-0-58290300-1320400057_thumb.jpg

I've previously described how we use a Rotating Laser Level to ensure the accurate alignment of all the baseboards.

Here's shot of it being used at Utrecht:

post-3984-0-53158000-1320400890_thumb.jpg

Each leg and baseboard are labelled to ensure consistent use, and the bottom of each leg is marked with a "target" line.

As each board is assembled, the leg adjusters are used to ensure the laser hits the target precisely.

By so doing the layout is aligned within about a 1mm accuracy over its 15 metre length.

Steve.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Having the layout back home in its shed, I've been and retrieved a couple of the signals for my demo stand at the Warley, NEC show next weekend.

Rob and I will be sharing stand E44.

Please drop by for a chat and make yourself known.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

this is how Chris Hewitt and John Holden drew up the trackwork for Lime street.

these photos are not of Lime st but of Chris's new Liverpool dock layout tonight,

Liverpool-20111206-00118.jpg

Liverpool-20111206-00119.jpg

Liverpool-20111206-00120.jpg

basically when you've worked out where certain places such where sidings will end by using O/S maps etc,especially handy if the layout is not going to be 100% true to scale to the prototype, certain areas may be shortened etc.

he then uses either a stiff piece of beading or perspex which will when pinned at one end and then it will find the correct curve for you when you place it at the point you want the toe of the point to be.

hold the beading down or pin it at the other end then draw the line of the rail.

this way you will always have the shallowest and smoothest curve,

then this pencil line will be traced so the points can be built on the workbench,

Edited by michael delamar
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Progress with the station roof is progressing once again. Here the North side roof is on my drive for a final powerwash (in a snowstorm!)

post-8613-0-59668000-1324311366.jpg

and after painting in grey primer looking towards the station clock. (The painting of the roof took 11 large cans of Halfords grey primer!)

post-8613-0-58851000-1324311382.jpg

The North roof has been installed (fit first time!) and the South roof has been removed for updates to bring the standard up to the same as the new North roof. More photos of the full installation soon.

• Like 18

Progress with the station roof is progressing once again. Here the North side roof is on my drive for a final powerwash (in a snowstorm!)

post-8613-0-59668000-1324311366.jpg

and after painting in grey primer looking towards the station clock. (The painting of the roof took 11 large cans of Halfords grey primer!)

post-8613-0-58851000-1324311382.jpg

The North roof has been installed (fit first time!) and the South roof has been removed for updates to bring the standard up to the same as the new North roof. More photos of the full installation soon.

That roof looks stunning :blink: :clapping_mini: Will be interesting to see the pictures of it being placed in position.

Colin

Or may be Liverpool Football Club on their return from Wembley after winning the FA Cup. Any offers to paint a few figures?

post-8613-0-26806000-1318321367.jpg

Hi,

Just been catching up on this thread and had to point out that I travelled on that train with the Liverpool Team and the FA Cup from Euston to Lime Street in May 1965. I was on my way home from University in London and turned up at Euston unaware that I would be on the same train as the cup. I suspect I was the only Evertonian on that train so it did have a small semblance of respectability. On arrival at Lime Street, I walked out of the front of the station to go round to Skelhorn Street to catch the L3 home. I got a mighty cheer as I appeared carrying my suitcase and had the great satisfaction of thinking to myself how little did those misguided reds realise they were cheering a blue. Only a year later, of course, we were at Wembley to win the cup.

Cheers,

Stan

The painting of the roof took 11 large cans of Halfords grey primer!

You missed a bit.

Only joking, what a superb piece of modelling. The combination of fine detail with massive scale is very impressive and something we don't see very often. You may be able to save a few quid by buying or hiring a spray gun for the remaining painting; those Halfords aerosols will no doubt add up to quite an investment!

Thanks for sharing the photos, please keep them coming :)

Cheers,

Will

Brilliant! The view of the North roof with the clock at the end brings back many memories of Lime Street in the 60s with the echoes of Coronations, Britannias, Jubilees, and Scots blowing off steam, then later the unmistakable sounds of D200s (Class 40 later), the hum of E3000s (Blue Electrics, we called them) and even DP2. And always the clock made by Joyce of Whitchurch to remind you of the time!

• 2 weeks later...

Just before Christmas we finally installed the full roof sections of the station. The new Northern section of the roof seems to dwarf the original South section. On the plus side it appears to fly over the platforms and the views down the station are spectacular. Both the north section and the south section are in four easily removable sections. Originally it was planned we would glaze the outer sections and omit the centre section to ease access to the station in case any mishaps occurred.

Now the roof is in position we have refined our ideas. We probably will not glaze the roof. It will reflect the light and visibility to the platforms will be greatly reduced. We may make the centre sections, but no more work will be done until we have a few exhibitions under our belt. Hopefully we will get plenty of feedback to help our future decisions.

The only sure thing is that we are going to paint the roof. This will be done prior to our visit to Alexandra Palace in March 2012.

The photos show some views of the roof in position with many of the surrounding buildings removed. When all the buildings are installed a lot of this work will be hidden.

Looks like there is a problem with the server when uploading photos so you will have to wait to see the photos.

• Like 1