Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

Have you been using your time-machine again Andy?

Absolutely stunning work ...

There will be a large crowd around this fantastic model at Ally Pally (I will be one of the throng).

No time machine, but I swear he's slipped a prototype picture in for the first in that sequence..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a resident of Liverpool as a "lad" and regular user of services into Lime Street in the 70s - particularly for gigs at the Liverpool Empire next door - I have been following this thread for some time. Finally I've cracked and just have to compliment the builders on all aspects of the build but the colours and tones - particularly on those mundane over-bridge walls - always just too high to see over - are awesome. Personally as a child of the very late 50s who did his spotting in the very early 70s I'd just like see the catenary going in and hear those 86's following their coaches out of the London platform - it was 9 I think?

I shall enjoy seeing this at AP - I'm there myself with my US HO layout and will be taking the opportunity to have a good long look.

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 2

Like Chris said above, this too is my local station, it's just unbelievable how realistically this has been modelled ! I can look back and picture myself at the top of platform 7 ! Fantastic !

Edited by 47541

• RMweb Premium

Michael, in my opinion, your 'point and shoot' camera has captured some real atmosphere on a layout that just oozes it. The first shot in particular gives the impression of a hazy environment from the smoke and steam.

Thanks to all of you for sharing such a spectacular layout with us on RMWeb.

Guest jim s-w

Its all very sterile at the moment chaps. Thats not a critism in any way as I know how long things take but to all those saying how realistic it looks now, wait a few years. I get the feeling we aint seen nothing yet! :)

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Rob's going over with a fine toothcomb but still lots to do,around the station area, John's got an awful lot of chairs to glue onto sleepers in the station area,with ballast and pointrodding for example.

he's got more stock to build and RTR stock to detail up, main thing is getting the layout running as efficientley as possible, so as to cut down time between trains so joe public dont get bored waiting, the new set up/timetable I had a go of today is much better,

will be back on Sunday for more play and will try and get some more pics.

this layout got me back interested in railway modelling about 2004 when a chance visit to the Lyhtam show I seen it just the fiddle yard and a bit of the cutting, I then copied a lot of idea's for Crown street, and its been great watching the layout come together, a pleasure to watch Chris working on the buildings for it. Ive learned a lot from these guys.,especially John who's neatness and attention to detail is definatley the way to go about it.

Mike

Edited by michael delamar

• RMweb Gold

Spent today preparing for the Ally Pally show.

New operator John Rocca had his first session on the Station control panel, with old hand Mike Delamar.

Mike managed a few shots with his camera which he's already posted on here.

I've borrowed a video camera as we get requests for video from RMwebbers, and when I get the clips up on to You Tube, I'll post some links on here.

(They're very much a "First Time With This Camera", so don't expect too much.)

Steve.

This is a truly staggering piece of modelling - the roof in particular is stunning. I am currently plodding away building the roof for my own Bath Queen project which is proving to be a bit of a marathon but, at around 2' long, is a mere tiddler by comparison. One of the things I have been giving some thought is painting the finished roof, and in particular cleaning it in readiness to take the paint. I would be most grateful if you could give some more details on how you cleaned and prepped yours in readiness for priming.

regards Jerry

If you look at Post #164 on page 7 of this thread you will see the preparation I did for painting. A hosepipe in the garden! Once dried it was then sprayed with Halfords grey primer. (About 8 large cans of the stuff, remember this roof is 8ft by 5ft). The final dark grey was airbrushed on followed by weathring with powders and paints.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you look at Post #164 on page 7 of this thread you will see the preparation I did for painting. A hosepipe in the garden! Once dried it was then sprayed with Halfords grey primer. (About 8 large cans of the stuff, remember this roof is 8ft by 5ft). The final dark grey was airbrushed on followed by weathring with powders and paints.

Hi Les,

thanks for your reply. I did see that post but assumed you just washed it down with the hose after scrubbing. What about all the flux residue and other crud? I think I will give Bath roof a good scrub in the bath washing it down with the shower hose - not an option for you unless you can use the local football teams communal bath!!

I have to say, I find it hard to imagine a roof 8' x 5', that knowledge simply makes your achievment even more impressive. I look forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime. I will be starting a new thread in the 2mm finescale section on my Bath Queen Square project soon so will post progress on my roof there.

Jerry

Hi Les,

thanks for your reply. I did see that post but assumed you just washed it down with the hose after scrubbing. What about all the flux residue and other crud? I think I will give Bath roof a good scrub in the bath washing it down with the shower hose - not an option for you unless you can use the local football teams communal bath!!

I have to say, I find it hard to imagine a roof 8' x 5', that knowledge simply makes your achievment even more impressive. I look forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime. I will be starting a new thread in the 2mm finescale section on my Bath Queen Square project soon so will post progress on my roof there.

Jerry

#

I used liquid flux which leaves less of a residue. The smaller assemblies were cleaned by putting them in the dishwasher. Larger assemblies were scrubbed, but the final assembly was hosepiped!

• Like 1