Lime Street Station

Les Green

I already know that in comparison to this quality of modelling, I am working with crayons and ten thumbs but these photos are a thing of beauty and a standard that I know I can never hope to achieve!

Thanks for showing us your etches! Along with Ron's amazing work with little bits of plasticard, these two layouts are what I come back to RMweb four times a day for! (As well as a lot of other stunning stuff of course.)

You must have but a huge amount of work into this, both before and during construction, not to mention a fair amount of investment... but the results are stunning. If I were you, I'd take the rest of 2012 off! I'm sure this has been said before, but it will be a shame to paint and weather that roof; it is a lovely piece of engineering in itself.

Well done to all involved, and thanks for sharing the photos.

Cheers,

Will

Jamie - there's a track plan on the first page.

Guest jim s-w

44 A3 sheets of densely packed nickel silver etching, 230 metres of nickel silver wire, and a whole roll of solder!!

Well worth it though. Weathering it will be fun. Might i suggest the airbrushed washes method?

Cheers

Jim

Them most amazing structure I've ever seen in the modelling world. Intriguing, I presume the curve in the station roof towards the roadbridge end denotes that the real track layout was changed at some later date?

The trackwork from the platform ends to the cutting in real life has to taper dramatically in a very short distance. The model differs slightly from the real station. The real roof has more curvature as the trackwork curves round. The model was made straight to be a better fit on the baseboard space available, but the model follows the prototypical wideninng and narrowing at the East end as well as a bit of track curvature.

This shot shows the curve of the roof at the East end as viewed from the West end of the station. Not obvious is the tapering. Just to make life more complicated. The South side of the North roof curves, the North side of the roof is in two straight lines at an angle!!

post-8613-0-58461000-1325515227.jpg

• Like 15

one of those roof sections was damaged during the war, cant think off hand which one it was.

It was the sixth one in on the North roof. And before anyone asks, I bent the truss on the model to represent the bomb damge!!

Hi Les and the team,

Happy new year.

I had the privilege of inspecting the underside of the baseboards of Lime Street some time ago and if you think the top is beyond belief you should see the wiring!!!!!!!!!

Fabulous work guy's, keep it up.

Cheers

Mike

That is a fantastic model, I was in Liverpool at the start of December and stayed next to Lime Street Station and even though the model is set 65 years ago I can clearly recognise what it is supposed to be, top notch modelling guys.

Wow..................that looks stunning! The graceful symmetry of a large overall roof is a thing to behold and beautifully crafted in minature here. Top draw stuff.

What with this and Ron's Manchester Central we are getting spoilt. Who's for a crack at York?!?

Regards,

Andy.