Lime Street Station

Les Green

That is without a doubt one of the most substitutional bits of modelling I have seen for a very long time. Absolutely stunning: I love the scale of it!

What with this and Ron's Manchester Central we are getting spoilt. Who's for a crack at York?!?

Don't forget jim s-w's P4 rendition of Birmingham New Street!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Les and the team,

Happy new year.

I had the privilege of inspecting the underside of the baseboards of Lime Street some time ago and if you think the top is beyond belief you should see the wiring!!!!!!!!!

Fabulous work guy's, keep it up.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike, and Happy New Year to you.

John has spent time making the transport box for the new roof, and once its available we will be dismantling the main boards once again to install the second part of the signal control system (Platforms 6 to 11, plus the turntable release).

Geoff has spent the Christmas period making the necessary boards, and including some new features in the control panels, which we hope to commission in the next couple of weeks.

Whilst we are doing that, I'll try to photograph the main parts of the control system and then we can write it up on RMweb.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

cant wait till Ally Pally,will be on the operating team :)

Mike,

You won't have to wait so long.

Once the current upgrades are completed, John will be holding regular running sessions for the Ally Pally team, to ensure we put on a good show.

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, and Happy New Year to you.

John has spent time making the transport box for the new roof, and once its available we will be dismantling the main boards once again to install the second part of the signal control system (Platforms 6 to 11, plus the turntable release).

Geoff has spent the Christmas period making the necessary boards, and including some new features in the control panels, which we hope to commission in the next couple of weeks.

Whilst we are doing that, I'll try to photograph the main parts of the control system and then we can write it up on RMweb.

Steve.

Here are the two storage/transport boxes with the roofs in place.

post-3984-0-10914200-1326026282_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-11535900-1326026297_thumb.jpg

The smaller roof - South - is actually in the larger box - 860mm wide x 600mm deep x 780mm high

The larger - North - roof is located on shelf runners in its box which is 800 W x 800 H x 600 D.

This allows two sections to slide within the arch space of the others, saving height.

post-3984-0-18340200-1326026311_thumb.jpg

John tells me "I intend to make a "locating frame", that will sit on top of one box, and allow the second box to sit on top of that without sliding off during transit in the van. Each shelf is customised with wooden stops that hold the intended roof section in place without "sliding about" when handling the box. Details of the orientation of each roof panel is provided with the labelling on each shelf. Both boxes have yet to be varnished. This will be done prior to our next show."

Safe storage for the roofs means we can now dismantle the main boards to enable the next series of upgrades to be be realised. Once these are completed, in the next couple of weeks, we will be ready to start serious training for the Ally Pally show in March.

We are optimistic that the work we've done since our trip to Utracht will give us another sizable step forwards.

Steve.

• Like 10

Here are the two storage/transport boxes with the roofs in place.

post-3984-0-10914200-1326026282_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-11535900-1326026297_thumb.jpg

The smaller roof - South - is actually in the larger box - 860mm wide x 600mm deep x 780mm high

The larger - North - roof is located on shelf runners in its box which is 800 W x 800 H x 600 D.

This allows two sections to slide within the arch space of the others, saving height.

post-3984-0-18340200-1326026311_thumb.jpg

John tells me "I intend to make a "locating frame", that will sit on top of one box, and allow the second box to sit on top of that without sliding off during transit in the van. Each shelf is customised with wooden stops that hold the intended roof section in place without "sliding about" when handling the box. Details of the orientation of each roof panel is provided with the labelling on each shelf. Both boxes have yet to be varnished. This will be done prior to our next show."

Safe storage for the roofs means we can now dismantle the main boards to enable the next series of upgrades to be be realised. Once these are completed, in the next couple of weeks, we will be ready to start serious training for the Ally Pally show in March.

We are optimistic that the work we've done since our trip to Utracht will give us another sizable step forwards.

Steve.

Brilliant work.

If you improve on Utrecht, you will be doing well. It might not be as easy to see at Ally Pally of course, but I will certainly be trying!

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Have you got any construction pics or drawings of the boxes? They look like exactly what I need for my boards.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The short answer is "No".

On the day the pictures were taken, John, Les and I had a chat about the design of the box needed for the North Roof.

(The box for the South Roof had been made last year).

A copy of the same design would have made the North box too large and heavy.

We discussed the idea of saving space by having roof sections "overlapping" vertically, and reducing weight by making the shelves more skeletal.

Geoff later advised John about the Double Extension drawer runners, which allow each roof section to be pulled out fully from the box.

Instead of a full drawer base, John chose to use a rigid plastic angle section to support the Roof assemblies, saving a lot of weight.

With these basic design ideas sorted out, John then acquired the necessary materials and built the Box to fit the roof sections, making the detail size and assembly decisions as he went along.

Steve.