Lime Street Station

Les Green

Probably better than a Virgin Rail Replacement Bus......

At least the bit that fell onto the tracks wasn't the "proper" retaining wall, but the lighter "curtain wall" built on top of it.  Looks like its going to be a ###### (or even a B****r) to get it stabilised even by the beginning of next week, those portakabin type things perched by the wall might be tricky to shift safely.  Then there's the overhead wire structures to be fixed and the track swept clear and all the signalling wiring and communications cables checked for damage and repaired. 

At least in the late 40's a couple of wagons to shift the detritus and a few hours work by the signals gang and it'd be all ticketyboo!

(tsk tsk, attacked by the hash fairies for using a naughty word!!!  Sorry!)

Edited by Hroth

• 2 weeks later...

The roof of the office block has now been slated. I used a different technique to the hotel this time and the result is far better. The slates are basically photo sheets from Smart Models. The versions as bought have thick white cut lines spaced at 6mm intervals. With Photoshop I extracted one 4mm strip, repeated it at 4mm intervals to give me a full A4 sheet with no marked cut lines. On the hotel I printed the sheets onto self adhesive photo sheet. This is not a very good adhesive and a lot of the strips lifted once fitted to the hotel roof which need a lot of careful application of superglue under the slate. Also the cut lines were white paper. OK I could have used a felt tip pen to hide the white paper, but on hundreds of strips? This time I used craft mount spray adhesive to glue the photo sheet on to a backing of grey card. Then the back of the card had 3M double sided adhesive sheet applied before the whole sheet was laser cut into 4mm strips. This gave the strips of slates thickness and the edges were burned dark brown. The MDF roof had score marks layered in to the surface to aid the location of the strips. The result can be seen in the photos below. Far better than the hotel roof! Note that the slate spacing tapers towards the roof apex. A feature often seen on large buildings to give the impression of an even larger  roof.

post-8613-0-45519300-1490003556_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-45291500-1490003566_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Like the interior, but surely in 1947, wouldn't the futuristic tilting trains took even more Flash Gordony?

Sorry to report that the pic of the building being demolished is being difficult to find.  I think it KNOWS its wanted.....

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found the snap - taken some time post-March 1984 as the poster advertises specials to Wembley for the Milk Cup final between Everton and Liverpool (0-0 aet...)

Apologies for quality as it was taken using a cheap instamatic type 126 film camera.

post-21933-0-00541000-1492446749_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Finally found the snap - taken some time post-March 1984 as the poster advertises specials to Wembley for the Milk Cup final between Everton and Liverpool (0-0 aet...)

Apologies for quality as it was taken using a cheap instamatic type 126 film camera.

attachicon.gifLime St demolition 1984.jpg

Interesting photo showing some detail I hadn't seen before. The windows in the arches are quite ornate. Luckily for me that part is not modelled. The back wall is just a blank wall as it is at the back of the layout.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting photo showing some detail I hadn't seen before. The windows in the arches are quite ornate. Luckily for me that part is not modelled. The back wall is just a blank wall as it is at the back of the layout.

Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean that you can get away without it..................................

I expect better from you Les.

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

The office block is now complete and ready to go to Rob Harrison for weathering.

post-8613-0-38041900-1494416658_thumb.jpg

The model is basically made from three components:

The outer shell of the building,

post-8613-0-08085700-1494416672_thumb.jpg

The insides, complete with photos of office internal details. This component will eventually be wired for lighting.

post-8613-0-46815700-1494416679_thumb.jpg

The windows, complete with curtains. These layers slide into the outer shell before the internal section slides and locks into position to complete the model.

post-8613-0-02463800-1494416688_thumb.jpg

• Like 9