Lime Street Station

Les Green

• 3 weeks later...

When is the layout due to be on exhibition again ? 

These are our current bookings for the Lime Street Station layout.

EUROSPOOR - Utrecht. Netherlands

3rd, 4th, & 5th November 2017

Festival of British Railway Modelling - Doncaster

10th & 11th  February 2018

Tyneside Model Railway Exhibition - Gateshead

10th & 11th November 2018

Warley - NEC Birmingham

24th & 25th November 2018

Wigan Model Railway Exhibition - Wigan

4th, 5th, & 6th October 2019

Edited by Les Green

Terrific stuff, its good to see such representative population of the district, especially the washerwomen who I identified immediately.  The only thing against them is that they look too colourful!  I don't know if you've seen the collections of Liverpool photographs published by the Bluecoat Press under the titles of "Looking Back", but in the first collection there are photos of washerwomen (pages 20, 21) from 1952 and they are invariably dressed in very "respectable" black overcoats.  Page 19 shows the interior of a washhouse in 1956 where you can see that under those overcoats they wore much lighter coloured dresses.

Page 18 of the collection shows women making Hornby "Princess Coronations" at Binns Road.....

Thanks for sharing the ongoing work!

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant! It makes me feel like I'm back home in Liverpool even though I live in the States now. It's very realistic and I love the scene with Bessie! Great work and next time I'm back home I want to come and see it.

Edited by kopite

Looking really good with the population being added.

What do you use to stick the figures to the layout?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

The figures have a wire on the bottom so a hole is drilled, the figure pushed into the hole and then superglue applied to hold it firm.

The figures have a wire on the bottom so a hole is drilled, the figure pushed into the hole and then superglue applied to hold it firm.

Crikey! I always put the wire near the feet.......

aac

Terrific stuff, its good to see such representative population of the district, especially the washerwomen who I identified immediately.  The only thing against them is that they look too colourful!  I don't know if you've seen the collections of Liverpool photographs published by the Bluecoat Press under the titles of "Looking Back", but in the first collection there are photos of washerwomen (pages 20, 21) from 1952 and they are invariably dressed in very "respectable" black overcoats.  Page 19 shows the interior of a washhouse in 1956 where you can see that under those overcoats they wore much lighter coloured dresses.

Page 18 of the collection shows women making Hornby "Princess Coronations" at Binns Road.....

Thanks for sharing the ongoing work!

Many thanks for your comments Hroth.  We found the pictures you refer to, or similar ones, and talking it over with John I believe I could re-paint the figures in-situ as they are at the front of the layout.  However then realised they are without coats as modelled, so we think we will leave them as fixed in their dresses.  I will do a couple more in coats and fix them down nearby. Also, after gluing the figures in place, they retained a shiny patch of dried superglue around their feet so that has now been sprayed out matt and the marks have disappeared. Removing figures for re-fitting of coats would certainly damage the pavement areas locally.

Taking your point further I noticed that I hadn't included many black coated clothed figures in general so that will be remedied on the next visit with infiltrating black coated figures. This will include populating the rear platforms 1 to 5 next time.    

cheers 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This year's developments.......

Since we returned from the Glasgow show the layout has not been fully assembled.

John has been focussing his attention on the scenic improvements along the "spine boards". These are the boards which carry the first five Platforms and the lines through the Cutting.

Progress has been reported on RMweb from time to time, and the latest items of interest follow:

John has completed the ballasting of the tracks in Platforms 1 to 5,

post-3984-0-19592600-1498468255_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-26847900-1498468254_thumb.jpg

and last week Rob spent a busy day with his spray gun getting the right amount of muck and grot in place:

post-3984-0-32372700-1498468257_thumb.jpg

Les has built the Office Block which forms the back to Platform 1, and Rob has spent the last few weeks weathering this at home. Last week he installed it on the layout after he'd finished weathering the ballasting:

post-3984-0-60362900-1498468256_thumb.jpg

See the current BRM for details of how Rob tackles weathering these large buildings.

Les still has to fit the window frames and glazing, and John will be making the necessary box in which this large building will be transported.

John has now installed and illuminated the second booking office behind Platforms 3 & 4:

post-3984-0-93059800-1498468255_thumb.jpg

Finally for now, John has planted the "Porters Crossings" at the end of these platforms:

post-3984-0-07493100-1498468258_thumb.jpg

Rob will no doubt have a mucky task dealing with these on his next visit.

Once all this phase of detailed work on the spine boards is complete, the whole layout will be assembled ready for running sessions to start again. All this is leading up to our trip to Holland and the Utrecht show in early November.

Steve.

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

The ticket office at Lime Street Station had a barrier in front of each office window. Barriers were curved to form a squeeze point at the window so as to only allow one person at once to be at the window. The photo below shows the ones at Liverpool Exchange which were similar to those at Lime Street.

post-8613-0-14251300-1499437838_thumb.jpg

We have had a model of these 3D printed by Shapeways. The print has ten barriers. The base plate has two holes drilled in. These make a jig to allow accurate drilling of the baseboards to accept the barriers.

post-8613-0-93456200-1499437726_thumb.jpg

• Like 18