Lime Street Station

Les Green

• 2 weeks later...

Recent progress.......

Since we brought the layout back from Utrecht, John has only had the main "spine boards" erected.

This has enabled a lot of scenic work to be done on the rear platforms, some of which you might have glimpsed in the background of Les's postings.

John has made the Platform Gates for Platforms 2 & 3:

attachicon.gifPlatform gates.JPG

The N/S etches were made by Les whilst  he was making the Roof, if I remember correctly.

attachicon.gifPlatform gates 1.JPG

attachicon.gifPlatform gates 2.JPG

Once they were completed, it was time for Peter Goss to make another visit with a crowd of passengers:

attachicon.gifBarrier queue 1.JPG

attachicon.gifBarrier queue 2.JPG

attachicon.gifPlatform 1 passengers.JPG

attachicon.gifPlatform passengers 1.JPG

attachicon.gifPlatform passengers 2.JPG

attachicon.gifNew broom.JPG

attachicon.gifStaff crossing.JPG

attachicon.gifTicket queue 1.JPG

I hope they all get home in time for Christmas.

Best wishes from all the Lime Street Crew, and hopefully we'll see many of you during 2018.

Remember, we're exhibiting at Doncaster, Newcastle and Warley next year.

Steve.

The picture John took of the ticket queue viewed from behind looking towards the closed gate is great. Something you don't see that often.

cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some excellent service from Hornby.....

Whilst we were in Utrecht, our Hornby Scot gave up the ghost.

John stripped it down on our return to find a fracture across the part which retains the worm wheel in mesh:

post-3984-0-68108800-1515863695.jpg

On contacting Hornby for a replacement part, he was advised that stock was awaited and they would contact him when it arrived.

Last week John spoke with Hornby again and they sent him TWO replacement parts:

post-3984-0-26078800-1515863679.jpg

With the loco repaired, its now on a Running-In turn:

post-3984-0-75059300-1515863679.jpg

Just in time for the pre-Doncaster running sessions, which start on Monday........

Steve.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

John stripped it down on our return to find a fracture across the part which retains the worm wheel in mesh:

attachicon.gifUtrecht Scot failure.JPG

On contacting Hornby for a replacement part, he was advised that stock was awaited and they would contact him when it arrived.

attachicon.gifScot Failure.JPG

attachicon.gifScot parts.jpg

Just in time for the pre-Doncaster running sessions, which start on Monday........

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Was the fracture a result of mazak rot as seen in other models?

Cheers,

Mick

attachicon.gifUtrecht Scot failure.JPG

attachicon.gifScot Failure.JPG

attachicon.gifScot parts.jpg

Steve.

Very interesting.

That gear retainer is a well-known weak point on the Hornby Scot/Patriot chassis and has been the subject of much discussion elsewhere on here. I have several acquired over the years from various sources which have failed. It's never previously been listed as a separately available spare. Interesting that Hornby now seem to be making it available.

Andy

Edited by 5 C

Very interesting.

That gear retainer is a well-known weak point on the Hornby Scot/Patriot chassis and has been the subject of much discussion elsewhere on here. I have several acquired over the years from various sources which have failed. It's never previously been listed as a separately available spare. Interesting that Hornby now seem to be making it available.

Andy

Hello,

It will be even more interesting to see if the replacement fails again at a later date. I believe the part failure is the result of a fault elsewhere rather than the cause. When the intermediate gear twists out of mesh due to excessive play it is exerting excessive strain at the weakest point which is the retainer. I have replaced the retainer previously and it failed again. Hence like others I have a set of Comet frames waiting to be used.

trustytrev. :)

Edited by trustytrev

Many lights make hands work!

Street lamps for Lime Street. The orange one is for checking lamps or checking the socket the lamp locates in.

attachicon.gifIMG_8193.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8189.jpg

Hi Les, I really like the idea of plug in lamp posts, could we have more detail on the construction of these street lamps, I am guessing they are removed for transporting?

Still in awe of this layout, the detail is amazing, keep up the good work.

Hi Les, I really like the idea of plug in lamp posts, could we have more detail on the construction of these street lamps, I am guessing they are removed for transporting?

Still in awe of this layout, the detail is amazing, keep up the good work.

Hope this clarifies the method we used. The filament lamp is within a lamp housing and connected to the inner 1mm square post and the outer brass tube. The 1mm square brass is soldered to an insulated brass tube at the bottom of the post.

When the post is in position the upper brass tube connects with the brass tube sleeve glued into the baseboard and the lower part of the post connects to two sprung bushes.

post-8613-0-99686400-1516200173_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

All packed up and ready to go (almost).....

On Monday this week John and Brian de-stocked the layout and cleaned wheels etc.

They also dismantled the back-scenes and packed the buildings etc.

Yesterday Les and John got the Hotel, Station Office Building and the Roof packed in their transport cases.

Today Rob, John and I dismantled all the baseboards and loaded them into their transport trolleys.

One exception being one board left on a workbench for a point tie-bar to be replaced.

Next Thursday we will collect the hire vans and load everything ready for their Trans-Pennine adventure next Friday.

See you all at Doncaster.....

Steve.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the layout for the first time at the Doncaster show on Saturday, And my jaw dropped its surprising just how big the layout is and how large the station is.

Simply stunning , well done to all the team for making a fantastic layout and putting mine to shame ...

It's strange how the large canopy roof dwarfs the locos and stock while underneath it.

I look forward to seeing the layout in the furture and once again well done on creating not just a work of art but a masterpiece in miniature.

Jamie D

This is an impression of what Lime Street Station will look like 2018 style after the addition of a new platform.

JS122832348.jpg

before

JS85384052.jpg

and after

JS85384054.jpg

How the station looks from Lime Street in 2018

JS129594543-1.jpg

Edited by Kestrel
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hope this clarifies the method we used. The filament lamp is within a lamp housing and connected to the inner 1mm square post and the outer brass tube. The 1mm square brass is soldered to an insulated brass tube at the bottom of the post.

When the post is in position the upper brass tube connects with the brass tube sleeve glued into the baseboard and the lower part of the post connects to two sprung bushes.

attachicon.gifLime Street Tall Lampost Simplified.jpg

Installation of the Street Lamps.........

Since returning from Doncaster, John has started the installation of Les's street lamps on Lime Street.

post-3984-0-39767300-1519649598.jpg

Holes have been drilled and temporarily lined with brass tube so the locations can be confirmed and adjusted as necessary:

post-3984-0-05985900-1519649599.jpg

Some new features are to be added to the Faller road system (details later), then the electrics for the lights will be installed.

post-3984-0-70472900-1519649599.jpg

This will include an isolation feature to allow lamps to be removed without causing a short circuit.

Steve.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

More progress with the Street Lighting........

John has completed the installation of the lamps and connected them to the supply:

post-3984-0-31615400-1520805177.jpg

post-3984-0-77182000-1520805177.jpg

The supply can be switched off to allow the lights to be removed while the rest of the layout is still powered up.

Steve.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Lighting now installed on Lime Street in front of the North Western Hotel.

attachicon.gifIMG_3226.jpg

This would suggest you're going to remove the big information panel that obscured the far end of the hotel when you exhibited at Glasgow last year.  That'll be a huge improvement.

Graeme

This would suggest you're going to remove the big information panel that obscured the far end of the hotel when you exhibited at Glasgow last year.  That'll be a huge improvement.

Graeme

Not yet! It is our plan to remove it at some time in the future, but at present it supports the lighting framework, hence it is a major job to remove it.