Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

Now for something completely different........(from the usual things I model).

A few months ago I saw an announcement in the "New Products" item of MRJ that London Road Models had introduced a number of LNWR "ancillary" items.

Last Saturday I saw them on the LRM stand at York and purchased some to try out.

(Its likely that we will need quite a few of these for Lime Street).

These are the three I've built to date:

post-3984-0-58254100-1522946296_thumb.jpg

They'll be off to Rob shortly for painting etc. before they can appear on the layout.

Ah well, back to signal building after an interesting diversion...........

Steve.

• Like 18

Steve,

the four wheel trollies were an LNWR design but lasted into BR days and were very common so LLS should have plenty. I remember them at Rugby, hauled by those small three wheel tractors.

The two wheel barrows were also LNWR origin, used for moving books, newspapers, catering supplies, etc. In their early days they were used for carrying travel rugs, etc. along the platforms for hire out to passengers.

The "portable" fogmans huts were also commonplace and during summer months were often stored near signal boxes for repairs and maintenance, so they need to be located suitably for the time of year at which the layout is set.

The barrow designs were from LMS Lineside Vol 2, another excellent reverence book from Wild Swan Publications.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

Steve,

the four wheel trollies were an LNWR design but lasted into BR days and were very common so LLS should have plenty. I remember them at Rugby, hauled by those small three wheel tractors.

The two wheel barrows were also LNWR origin, used for moving books, newspapers, catering supplies, etc. In their early days they were used for carrying travel rugs, etc. along the platforms for hire out to passengers.

The "portable" fogmans huts were also commonplace and during summer months were often stored near signal boxes for repairs and maintenance, so they need to be located suitably for the time of year at which the layout is set.

The barrow designs were from LMS Lineside Vol 2, another excellent reverence book from Wild Swan Publications.

Jol

If it was anywhere near a school holiday those barrows would also be full of trunks and tuck boxes being sent PLA to the station nearest to the boarding school of choice for sons of the merchant class. .Probably dropped off by the family chauffer.

Jamie

I have been installing the new London Road Models LNWR water columns at the ends of the platforms on London Road. For reference one of the photos we used was of Liverpool Lime Street in LNWR days, showing a Precursor 4-4-0 at the end of one of the platforms. Does anyone know if these were still there in later. LMS, days?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I saw this online, is this of any interest to you Les?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/look-inside-secret-little-house-14683102.amp

Very Interesting YouTube Clip, Nice to see they are not taking it away for scrap... but preserving it for future generations to come and being where it is placed will be protected by the elements for many more years to come, hopefully.

Thanks for sharing that...

Regards

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A possible new loco for Lime Street. It started life out as a Jidenco kit built to 00 gauge and in BR colours.

attachicon.gifCrab 1 copy.jpg

Now stripped down and fitted with a Comet chassis to EM gauge.

attachicon.gifCrab 2.jpg

Watch this space!

That's a first. I don't think I've ever seen a Jidenco Crab built up before.

C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A possible new loco for Lime Street. It started life out as a Jidenco kit built to 00 gauge and in BR colours.

attachicon.gifCrab 1 copy.jpg

Now stripped down and fitted with a Comet chassis to EM gauge.

attachicon.gifCrab 2.jpg

Watch this space!

Couple of things shout out immediately:

1. Needs a larger diameter smokebox door.

2. The cabside windows look to low - too much space below the eves.

I can't help feeling the Bachmann body would be a better starting point... but then there's nothing like a challenge!

I can't help feeling the Bachmann body would be a better starting point... but then there's nothing like a challenge!

A built and working Jidenco kit-be grateful!

• Like 2

And the view in the other direction...

attachicon.gifLime_street concourse c1950.jpg

I remember the booking office being against the back wall as depicted here, right up until the 1984 refurb.

Whether they were the same structures is open to debate, but they were certainly redundant by summer 1984 and I know this for certain as I stayed with my Gran and Grandad for a couple of weeks in July/August that year, they bought me a Zone ticket and I spent that fortnight doing 40s out of Lime Street.

When only Peaks and 47s were on the menu, I drifted towards Wirral to ride on 503s.

I started on the railway in 1992, in Liverpool and if I recall correctly, the booking office structures were still there and maybe they still are. If so, they will be behind the present Boots and John Menzies/WH Smiths.

In fact I recall having access to the hotel and my colleagues and I went into the booking office. Why I didn't take all the unused Edmonsons I'll never know. We certainly explored the entire site including the cellar, which contained a laundry and facilities for cleaning all the buffet crockery. Indeed, I got a BR((M) teacup from there. Sure I still have it somewhere.

I would imagine all this was swept away when the hotel was refurbished for student accommodation... But you never know!

Edited by E3109
  • Like 1

Incidentally, in the main lobby for the hotel, there was an absolutely stunning marble fireplace at the bottom of the stairs. Sadly it had been vandalised and by what looked like a lump hammer.

Hope it's been restored to its former glory but the site has changed so much since it was derelict, so I couldn't say for certain if it's still there.

I've been in the pub (Head of Steam) but not the student bit.

I'm not entirely sure about that, the cabside windows were set lower on these (and the Stanier Crabs) than later engines. Although this doesn't give the actual dimension, it shouldn't be too difficult to calculate.

crab_w10.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lime Street on display this weekend.......

John is taking some of the layout to the Model Tramway Exhibition in Blackpool this weekend.

He's actually leaving 42ft 6in of the 45ft long layout at home :stinker: 

He will have the two boards which contain Lime Street itself, with the Hotel and roadway etc.

Good chance to come and see some of the stunning scenic work which has been created............ :O

Venue is :

Old Tram Depot

Rigby Road

Blackpool

Hours Saturday 10:00 til 5:00

Sunday  10:00 til 4:00

Steve.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A couple of small buildings to go on the platforms of Lime Street Station. The buildings were there in the early days, but we have no idea when they were demolished, or even, what their purpose was.

The first has been fully painted and is ready to go on the layout, the second one is as it comes off the 3D printer.

post-8613-0-09680700-1533045665_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-98171400-1533045672_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A long way back in this thread you talked about the Faller car system and how one vehicle sets off as another arrives in the off-scene "car park".

I am aware of the standard Faller device that stops vehicles using an electromagnet vs. the reed switch within the vehicles, however, could you explain what you use to detect the arriving vehicle and to make the next vehicle move up?

I have a primitive Faller system and this is something that I'd like to add as an enhancement.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A long way back in this thread you talked about the Faller car system and how one vehicle sets off as another arrives in the off-scene "car park".

I am aware of the standard Faller device that stops vehicles using an electromagnet vs. the reed switch within the vehicles, however, could you explain what you use to detect the arriving vehicle and to make the next vehicle move up?

I have a primitive Faller system and this is something that I'd like to add as an enhancement.

Tony

With apologies for the delay in answering..........

I've just received from John the following explanation of how the Faller system has been developed for use on Liverpool Lime Street:

"Hello Tony,

Sorry for the long delay in replying to your query.

For the additional automation we use on our car system (including the trams), the basic requirement we need is a means of detecting the presence of a vehicle at any pre-determined point we choose on the layout.

For this purpose we use what is known as a 'Hall Effect' transistor. 

The ones we use are very small and incorporate very clever circuitry.  When they detect a magnetic field they output an electrical pulse.

By burying these in the road surface and fitting small magnets in the vehicles, we are able to detect when a car/tram is passing the pre-determined point.

These pulses are fed into a microprocessor and the software responds sending a pulse to operate whatever start magnet it is programmed to pulse, or in the case of the trams, power the required section of track.

From the above you will realise there is quite a high understanding of electronics and programming required to build such a system, indeed it is well beyond me personally, what it is to have good friends!
Also there is no off the shelf element to our system, it is all custom designed and built.

Hope the above in some way answers you question,

Kind Regards,

John."

Steve.
  • Like 1

With apologies for the delay in answering..........

I've just received from John the following explanation of how the Faller system has been developed for use on Liverpool Lime Street:

"Hello Tony,

Sorry for the long delay in replying to your query.

For the additional automation we use on our car system (including the trams), the basic requirement we need is a means of detecting the presence of a vehicle at any pre-determined point we choose on the layout.

For this purpose we use what is known as a 'Hall Effect' transistor. 

The ones we use are very small and incorporate very clever circuitry.  When they detect a magnetic field they output an electrical pulse.

By burying these in the road surface and fitting small magnets in the vehicles, we are able to detect when a car/tram is passing the pre-determined point.

These pulses are fed into a microprocessor and the software responds sending a pulse to operate whatever start magnet it is programmed to pulse, or in the case of the trams, power the required section of track.

From the above you will realise there is quite a high understanding of electronics and programming required to build such a system, indeed it is well beyond me personally, what it is to have good friends!
Also there is no off the shelf element to our system, it is all custom designed and built.

Hope the above in some way answers you question,

Kind Regards,

John."

Steve.

Intrigued to read of your application-it is a similar idea to the Smith-Bedell system of power supply to full size trams in the early 20th century.  However, your system works, it didn't.

• RMweb Gold

Intrigued to read of your application-it is a similar idea to the Smith-Bedell system of power supply to full size trams in the early 20th century.  However, your system works, it didn't.

Thanks for responding to my query; it sounds very sophisticated, and having seen it in action I know it works.

I think I will start by consulting my own neighbourhood electronics genius, but failing that, I had also thought of exploring the use of IRDOTs, having already got over a hundred installed and working on the railway.

Many thanks!

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Preparing for our next shows........

The layout is fully assembled ready for our operator training sessions which start next week.

These are in preparation for our two upcoming shows:

Newcastle & District MRS 
  - Tyneside 2018 Model Railway Exhibition

Sat & Sun November 10th & 11th.

Warley Model Railway Club
  - Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC

Sat & Sun November 24th & 25th.

Yesterday was Signals Maintenance Day.

Mainly giving them all a good exercise using the "setter box".

One servo required changing which was a bit of a fiddle.

Whilst under the layout I took this snap of the "working environment"

post-3984-0-94072700-1538647454_thumb.jpg

Couldn't miss the chance to spend an hour running the layout, here's  a shot of the latest addition to the rolling stock.

Les showed this in pristine condition in post  #1735

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33141-lime-street-station/page-70&do=findComment&comment=2949157 

It has now been weathered quite heavily by Rob:

post-3984-0-66813700-1538647453_thumb.jpg

Come along and see this spectacular layout at either Newcastle or the NEC.

We'll be pleased to answer any questions about the model, how its operated, transported etc. and anything else you can think of.

(Unfortunately, we won't be able to tell you next weeks Lottery numbers.)

Steve.

Edited by Steve Hewitt
  • Like 9