Romford replacements for Hornby T9

Ben Alder

Sorry if this seems a bit basic, but can someone advise if Markits 3mm axles and T9 wheels and the Hornby gear can be used to replace the traction tyred originals. I do not want to go back to the seventies on this one and don't need a lot of pulling power, so hope to change the existing Hornby wheels. I have tried phoning Markits a few times without results so perhaps the answer lies here.

Thanks,

Richard

Look on the Markits website they do 2 different axle sizes for Hornby locos

This is one of the things that wasn't sure about- I think I'll try getting in touch with Markits again next week and see if I can speak to him.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard, give Mark a call he is very helpfull and sorted me out with some axles for the older type of chassis.

I have 3 or 4 re-wheeled Hornby chassis (done by others)and they seem to have had their chassis bushed to fit 1/8th standard Romford axles. I guess its easier and cheaper to use the correct size axles now they are available.

I guess if someone has a lathe they could use 3mm rod and turn the ends down to 1/8th to fit Alan Gibson / Kean Maygib wheels

I guess if someone has a lathe they could use 3mm rod and turn the ends down to 1/8th to fit Alan Gibson / Kean Maygib wheels

Hayfield, I think that you missed what was said.

To turn the ends down on 3mm rod to 1/8" you would need to run the lathe in reverse and use a putting on tool.

Believe you me if I could get one I would have one!!!!

OzzyO.

• 2 months later...

Just come across this topic and remembered I'd forgotten to give an update :O . I got a set of Romfords with axles from Markits but to date haven't got round to changing the wheels. There is another T9 chassis on the go at the moment, and the plan is to re-wheel one with the Romfords and to use the untyred pair of originals on the other. I'll post up the results when I get round to it.

• 8 years later...

Resurecting an immensly old thread, @Ben Alder, did you get round to doing the wheel swap project? I have a T9 and would like to get rid of the traction tyres. I came across this thread by searching and would be keen to hear your experience. Did you have to do anything to the loco to improve traction after the swap to the non-tyred wheels?

thanks in advance..

Hugh

• Like 1

I never pursued the Markits option as the T9 was fine once the tyres were replaced with smooth wheels. Went on to do six or seven in this manner - T9 drivers became available as spares. They have enough traction for my needs - four or five coaches  or 12 to fifteen wagons - and often run doubled headed on larger trains.The main problem was balancing the loco when I used them under white metal bodies, but that had nothing to do with the wheel replacement, which improves running greatly.

• Informative/Useful 2

Thanks @Ben Alder, I'm encouraged by that, I have a couple of T9s, 1 that should be ok as a runner (yet to be proved!) and another that has disintegrated around the motor housing. I've snapped up a couple of chassis off Ebay that should provide sufficient spares to make everything good with enough left over to supply a chassis for a stalled Triang L1 enhancement project. I have some spare wheels that came with the Ebay chassis as well, so I should be ok. 4 to 5 coach or 15 wagons will be plenty for my needs..

Thanks once again..

Hugh