Kernow Adams O2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2020 at 15:45, Bluebell Model Railway said:

I managed to pick one of the Kernow O2's from a well known auction site a little while ago, it was a pre production model, and wasn't motorised.... I have a suitable motor, but I wondered if anyone knows a suitable alternative for a worm for the motor, as there's obviously no spares.

Jeremy at Digitrains bought all of the J94 spares.  The worm might be the same.

Les

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the body off one of these? Looking at the instructions which come with these it's not entirely clear how you can get the body off the running plate. It looks to be held at the rear by two screws and the front by some clips?

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, LBSC123 said:

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the body off one of these? Looking at the instructions which come with these it's not entirely clear how you can get the body off the running plate. It looks to be held at the rear by two screws and the front by some clips?

There is a screw at the front that is underneath the front coupling, and one under the rear bogie to remove the chassis from the body. 

The body is held to the running plate by two clips (best prised open with a small screw driver from below) at the front and two screws at the rear that are under the bunker coal load. Some of the pipework at the front is held in the running plate by glue so you need to be carefully when removing the front end from the running plate.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

There is a screw at the front that is underneath the front coupling, and one under the rear bogie to remove the chassis from the body. 

The body is held to the running plate by two clips (best prised open with a small screw driver from below) at the front and two screws at the rear that are under the bunker coal load. Some of the pipework at the front is held in the running plate by glue so you need to be carefully when removing the front end from the running plate.

Thanks @Graham_Muz

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Ben Alder said:

How did you get on with this as I have been chewing over a remotoring for some time now.

Well I did get a motor from digitrains, however I've only just got back round to the model as I'm having to build a spare chassis.. As well as finish another I rescued, and run a business at rhw same time, but it looks like it should work.. I I did do a quick check and worked OK. 

DSC00163

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 07/12/2020 at 00:37, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Well I did get a motor from digitrains, however I've only just got back round to the model as I'm having to build a spare chassis.. As well as finish another I rescued, and run a business at rhw same time, but it looks like it should work.. I I did do a quick check and worked OK. 

DSC00163

Now we all know what could be appearing in the next EFE announcements. Great job.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Now we all know what could be appearing in the next EFE announcements. Great job.

Yes I half expect in the not to distant future O2's may appear or a re run of popular versions, with the only o2 being put in to BR malachite expect there will be a model at some point plus 2 for the price of 1 as they just put transfers over Southern down here. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/12/2020 at 13:10, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Yes I half expect in the not to distant future O2's may appear or a re run of popular versions, with the only o2 being put in to BR malachite expect there will be a model at some point plus 2 for the price of 1 as they just put transfers over Southern down here. 

How many of the Island O2's carried malachite with "British Railways" lettering? W32 Bonchurch is the best-known as she carried it quite late and was used on a few specials, and I've found photos of W15, W19, W22, W29, W30 and W34 in a trawl through Google, but I thought most of them went straight from wartime black into lined black?

Interestingly the photos of W15 suggest she was painted post-nationalisation - there's no sign of the usual patch-painting on the tank sides, and the number is the same size as the tankside lettering, wheras the others it's larger to match the previous "Southern" lettering. Which just goes to show the importance of using prototype photos!

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nick C said:

How many of the Island O2's carried malachite with "British Railways" lettering? W32 Bonchurch is the best-known as she carried it quite late and was used on a few specials, and I've found photos of W15, W19, W22, W29, W30 and W34 in a trawl through Google, but I thought most of them went straight from wartime black into lined black?

Interestingly the photos of W15 suggest she was painted post-nationalisation - there's no sign of the usual patch-painting on the tank sides, and the number is the same size as the tankside lettering, wheras the others it's larger to match the previous "Southern" lettering. Which just goes to show the importance of using prototype photos!

It's a good question... One I wish I knew... 

Obviously as you say Bonchurch is best known and the last one to be put in to that livery.

As I model what I can see on a photograph, oddly I've only seen 1 all black o2 in southern and BR and that was Totland (typically the one I wanted to do) 

Ones I've seen photos of, w15, 18, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

Most were in malachite before hand so had a transfer placed over, some were overhauled like Bonchurch and went straight in to malachite BR. 

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

I had noticed; interesting indeed. I wonder whether the mechanism will be improved at all?

The mainland olive green version is a west-country based locomotive, I understand.

The mechanism is the same as before all mine from the first batch have run well including the rigours of running at exhibitions. 
All the versions I have here from the new EFE batch run nicely as well. 

Details of all versions and their timescales and allocations can be read here https://southern-railway.com/2021/08/04/Bachmann-showcase-product-announcements-autumn-2021-includes-class-new-liveries-and-efe-rail-adams-o2-class-locos/?amp

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

The mechanism is the same as before all mine from the first batch have run well including the rigours of running at exhibitions. 
All the versions I have here from the new EFE batch run nicely as well. 

Details of all versions and their timescales and allocations can be read here https://southern-railway.com/2021/08/04/Bachmann-showcase-product-announcements-autumn-2021-includes-class-new-liveries-and-efe-rail-adams-o2-class-locos/?amp

You have had one of the new ones already? Gosh, that was fast. I have one of the original ones, but have not run it much; I had heard not so good things about the mechanism, so it is reassuring to know that it runs well. I anticipate using them only for the two car push/pull trains, so this should perhaps not be an issue in any event.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

You have had one of the new ones already? Gosh, that was fast. I have one of the original ones, but have not run it much; I had heard not so good things about the mechanism, so it is reassuring to know that it runs well. I anticipate using them only for the two car push/pull trains, so this should perhaps not be an issue in any event.

So you have one but going by other rumours about their performance? 
KMRC sold a large number without any issues directly reported. 
Absolutely no issue running with a pull Push set, one of my own runs happily all day with a heavy brass built PP set. 
I have some production samples of the latest batch as I’m the development manager for KMRC and it’s our tooling. 

• Like 1

I was not really "going by" anything, as I had not made any particular decision based on what I had read. I am not sure that it is right to characterise what I had read as rumour, as the information in many cases came directly from people who themselves have one (if I recall correctly, quite possibly on this very thread), rather than having gone through many intermediaries, the information being, among other things, that they could not haul many carriages.

However, it is good to know that your examples work well. I have not had any problem with the one that I have had save that it was a secondhand one and the NEM socket had been cut back by the previous owner, which caused some fouling of the non-driving wheel, but that is not a criticism of the design/manufacture of course.

I suspect that I may well get one of these new ones so that I have more than one for my planned Southern 00 gauge layout so as to be able to simulate the maintenance routine for the locomotives (i.e., so that the branch train can keep going even when one locomotive is having its boiler washed out), although will probably need to renumber this to something not quite so far west based.

• Like 1

Check out our latest Skrifa post completing the series of posts about SR Engine Headsignals, this time those used on the Isle of Wight, and therefore suitable for use with our Adams O2 0-4-4 tanks, now also released under the EFE Rail brand. 

IoW_Headsignal_2.jpg.efb36f17af8cca125a9765d4567339c2.jpg

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/199/KMRC-Skrifa---IoW-Engine-Headsignals

• Informative/Useful 2

On 05/08/2021 at 10:02, Kernow MRC said:

Check out our latest Skrifa post completing the series of posts about SR Engine Headsignals, this time those used on the Isle of Wight, and therefore suitable for use with our Adams O2 0-4-4 tanks, now also released under the EFE Rail brand. 

IoW_Headsignal_2.jpg.efb36f17af8cca125a9765d4567339c2.jpg

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/199/KMRC-Skrifa---IoW-Engine-Headsignals

So when  and who changed 'Headcodes' - the name for over 50 years.... to headsignals...lol.......