Kernow Adams O2

• RMweb Gold

With reference to the size of the air-pump shown in the CAD scans and those seen in photographs of the prototype, the impression I get is that the pumps for the pull-push locomotives used on the mainland are slightly smaller than those used for the braking system on the Isle of Wight.

Does anyone have definitive information as to whether the Southern used different sizes or, indeed, if Westinghouse made different versions with either different pressures or different throughputs? (As far as I am aware, the pull-push system was quite low pressure, but braking systems were relatively high pressure).

JE

I get a similar impression from most of the pics that I have so far been able to find. It appears that Westinghouse pumps did come in different sizes but I can't find any conclusive data for their British designs on the 'net (just keep getting US ones). What does seem fairly clear is that the height at which the pumps were mounted on IoW engines varied; there is some film on the 'net which includes shots at Ryde shed and two adjacent locos have the top of their pumps at different heights although the pumps look to be the same size.

Whatever the situation I'm sure that Chris and his advisors will do their very best to ensure that the final results area as accurate as research sources and production methods allow - that I think is a given based on past Kernow/Dapol performance.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

With reference to the size of the air-pump shown in the CAD scans and those seen in photographs of the prototype, the impression I get is that the pumps for the pull-push locomotives used on the mainland are slightly smaller than those used for the braking system on the Isle of Wight.

JE

I have before me 'Locomotives Illustrated 73 - South Western 0-4-4Ts' and certain pictures in this would seem to reinforce this view. For instance on P.28 there is a view of W22 from 1931 with what looks to be the same setup as W24, whilst on P28 there is a photo of pp fitted 30207 shunting vans at Portsmouth and Southsea with a seemingly slightly smaller pump set.

Not definitive by any means, but I am starting to form the opinion that perhaps there was a difference in the size of pumps used.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Upon examination with a glass I think that most of the discrepancy in size is in the top (steam) cylinder - I am wondering if this can be explained by the fact that possibly these cylinders sometimes had the cladding taken off to facilitate the time honoured method of beating recalcitrant cylinders with a heavy object to get them going.

Looks great the cad so far, as it is only the early stages I expect that the problems or areas will get sorted later on, Im not to concerned. Only thing that caught my eye was the price jump. If this was known about... why is it Ive only read it on here... not heard anything from Kernow Model Centre, bit disappointed not to of been informed direct of the price changes... as I wouldn't of known until I read it on this thread. I may have to consider cancelling one of 2 I have on order.

Seems pretty clear to me, your pre order price stays the same.

"Please note the price of these models is valid for pre-orders only. Once the models are delivered to us the price will rise to £119.99 for all new orders".

Ok sorry I read that wrong, text is a bit small on a mobile screen, so pre-order price stands at £91.99 or that price of £104 is from now on pre-orders... have I got that correct that time.

I am subscribed to the news letter from Kernow... But have not been receiving it for a while... may have to check my junk / spam filters.

• RMweb Premium

Existing pre-orders honoured at the original price of £91.99. New pre-orders at £104.99. Once in stock all purchases (online or over the counter) at £119.99. As always if tax rates change so will the price but only to collect the new rate of tax.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon

I do not believe there are such plan as yet.

Bear in mind this a commisison by a retailer rather than a manufacturer whom might be able to more cost effectively to cover the entire range of possibilities.

Hi Jon

I do not believe there are such plan as yet.

Bear in mind this a commisison by a retailer rather than a manufacturer whom might be able to more cost effectively to cover the entire range of possibilities.

Thanks Graham.

I think the major differences are dome mounted safety valves with obviously a lack of firebox mounted safety valves so it wouldn't be too difficult to accommodate.

Jon F

• 3 months later...

It looks like an O2. The Dome's bigger, the Pump is smaller, the Safety valve/boiler interface cover looks (correctly) smaller. Once again full praise for KMRC and Dapol for listening to feedback. It is admirable industry leading practice.

The only thing I'm still uncertain about is the gap between the bottom of th smokebox door and the cylinder cover panel. The gap looks a little too wide on the CAD. This COULD be do to with an absence of shadow on the CAD, or there could be a minor measurement discrepancy. What do others think?

Edited - font size - keeps publishing stuff in a stupidly small size!

Edited by G-BOAF

It looks like an O2. The Dome's bigger, the Pump is smaller, the Safety valve/boiler interface cover looks (correctly) smaller. Once again full praise for KMRC and Dapol for listening to feedback. It is admirable industry leading practice.

The only thing I'm still uncertain about is the gap between the bottom of th smokebox door and the cylinder cover panel. The gap looks a little too wide on the CAD. This COULD be do to with an absence of shadow on the CAD, or there could be a minor measurement discrepancy. What do others think?

Edited - font size - keeps publishing stuff in a stupidly small size!

Hate to tell you G-B but it's still doing it!

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Correct and "Expected during 2013" is the only advice Kernow has to offer currently.  If you're not already a subscriber then sign up for their weekly newsletter which will be the first place any news is published.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I see in Kernow's latest newsletter of 12th. April that they have posted new cad-cam images of several different versions of the 02 . But I cannot make out if K2105 loco No.225 in Southern black livery is pull-push fitted. If I strain my eyes hard at the images it appears that this loco does not have pull-push equipment fitted. Does anybody know how Kernow intend this loco to be ?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris

Right click on the images and save them somewhere on your PC. There is no file extension but you can use .jpg if you have too. Then open the saved image with picture editing software such as Photoshop or Picasso. I adjusted the fill light on the image to get a good sharp view. I would attach a modified image but am not sure about copyright issues.

I do not see any push pull equipment on the buffer beams for Kernow K2105. However for me that is fine as I will be renumbering to SR 200 as used in the Padstow Bodmin service with run-around at each end of the line.

• Like 1

I see in Kernow's latest newsletter of 12th. April that they have posted new cad-cam images of several different versions of the 02 . But I cannot make out if K2105 loco No.225 in Southern black livery is pull-push fitted. If I strain my eyes hard at the images it appears that this loco does not have pull-push equipment fitted. Does anybody know how Kernow intend this loco to be ?

Cheers,

Chris

Is the hose behind the coupler what you are looking for?

attachment=269272:K2105a_zpsf62c8ada.jpg]

post-6958-0-65978500-1365885764_thumb.jpg

post-6958-0-46231500-1365885766_thumb.jpg

post-6958-0-98579700-1365885759_thumb.jpg

post-6958-0-72664100-1365885762.jpg

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 5

Many thanks Ken for the enlarged images. I would say that this loco is not pull-push fitted as it does not have the Westinghouse pump or the resevoir tank. I do not know what the hose behind the coupler is for though.

Cheers,

Chris