Kernow Adams O2

• RMweb Premium

My two IoW ones are destined for different addresses in different countries as one is a gift.  Hopefully meaning Calbourne will be on its way to the Island very soon now having had a "near miss" when sailing up the Solent recently ;)

Pre-orders for which your card details are not current at the moment of processing will be put back into the second sweep as that allows the maximum number of orders to be processed in the shortest time.  New orders placed now might appear to queue-jump but as discussed earlier in this topic that is a factor of the way orders are managed - Kernow turns around new orders extremely quickly and new orders can be packed ahead of pre-orders but the benefit of pre-ordering is a guaranteed model and sometimes at a better price too.  

Any signs of a K2106 early crest mainland non-push pull showing up? No e-mail from Kernow and no charge on my card yet. Once I know it is on the way I can start planning the sound conversion.  That and stripping the BR crest and lining from the model so I can backdate to Southern times. Unfortunately the only Southern black version was encumbered with all sorts of extra plumbing.

Oh well the coaches from Hornby for the Padstow Bodmin local aren't coming for some time yet.

Dispatch notification received, but not arrived yet.

What coaches might they be? Have I missed something, wouldn't be surprised as been out of touch over the summer.

The CGM part comes from Compagnie Générale Maritime, the former nationalised shipping line that operated the 'Normandie' and the 'France' (once the world's longest ocean liner) among others.

I think that was Compagnie Generale Transatlantique, which merged with Messagaries Maritime in 1971 to form CGM

Dispatch notification received, but not arrived yet.

What coaches might they be? Have I missed something, wouldn't be surprised as been out of touch over the summer.

That would most likely be the Hornby 58' rebuilt ex-LSWR stock, detailed here: http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/stop-press-ex-lswr-48-maunsell-rebuilt-58-coaches/

p.s. My 30182 arrived a few minutes ago. I have pulled it out of the packaging and it looks superb. I'll be running it in on the rollers shortly, then, if successful, I'll fit a TCS EUN651 decoder.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

30182 has been run in on the rolling road and ran perfectly. I fitted the TCS decoder with no problems - pin 1 is clearly marked on the socket, and the TCS diagram leaves no doubt as to which way the decoder is oriented.

Address 182 was allocated and CV3 set to 25 and CV4 to 20, which gives nice inertia and momentum effects.

I tested the loco around the layout light engine, through the crossovers and around the inner circuit in both forwards and reverse directions. No obvious binding was evident and it had no difficulties with my third and fourth rail. All good so far!

I then placed 30182 on the short parcels train the S15 had been hauling - 5 four-wheel vans and a BR mark 1 BG. It was a little hesitant setting off with smokebox leading and eventually came to a halt in the tunnel on a curve. In reverse it had no problems at all bringing the same train out of the tunnel. I tried it bunker first and it romped away with the train. I had something of the same problem with one of my Bachmann E4 0-6-2 tanks not being able to pull the proverbial skin off a rice pudding on the default settings of its CT Elektronik decoder. It looks like I'll have to do a few tweaks to CVs, particularly with reference to BEMF settings (the coreless motor may even benefit from these being turned off completely) and also the pulse width. Methinks a session on Decoder Pro may assist with this,as I'll be able to save settings that work and recall them if necessary.

O2%200-4-4T%20on%20Parcels%20-%202%20mod

More on this later, after I have had time to tinker.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm having similar haulage issues with 30225 on DC.  Put simply she is "lifting her skirt" on even a short train.  However it's not necessarily a locomotive issue at this stage.

These locos have coreless motors and there is piece in the instructions advising they may not be compatible with ultrasonic track cleaners; I use those.  Then the rolling stock may be partially at fault; judicious tests (allowing a single vehicle to roll downhill) proved that not all the vehicles were freewheeling happily under gravity.  

Close observation then showed that on straight level track the loco lifted its front drivers fractionally when starting smokebox-first and coupled to 3 Hornby Maunsell coaches.  The same occurred coupled to a pair of Bachmann Mk1s and the latest Hornby SR CCT.  Reduced to two coaches the loco only just perceptibly did the same and not at all with one on.  The tests were repeated bunker-first and no lifting was detected.

Three-coach trains were too much for curves and gradients.  My curves are generous but some of the gradients are extremely steep and some include curves adding to the drag.  Most trains slow down.  30225 slipped to a stand.

Careful application of weight (a loco weight salvaged from a Hornby item) perched atop the chimney was sufficient to eliminate all problems.

Now where to add enough weight inside the loco?  I could use the smokebox void but not filled with metal as it's already filled with wiring and the DCC socket / blanking plate.

30225 was run in for 45 minutes each way light engine before loaded tests were attempted and runs perfectly so there's no issue with the loco's running in itself.  It's just a tad light over the drivers and there is a bit of space to add weight.  Watch this space.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

30182 has been run in on the rolling road and ran perfectly. I fitted the TCS decoder with no problems - pin 1 is clearly marked on the socket, and the TCS diagram leaves no doubt as to which way the decoder is oriented.Address 182 was allocated and CV3 set to 25 and CV4 to 20, which gives nice inertia and momentum effects.I tested the loco around the layout light engine, through the crossovers and around the inner circuit in both forwards and reverse directions. No obvious binding was evident and it had no difficulties with my third and fourth rail. All good so far!I then placed 30182 on the short parcels train the S15 had been hauling - 5 four-wheel vans and a BR mark 1 BG. It was a little hesitant setting off with smokebox leading and eventually came to a halt in the tunnel on a curve. In reverse it had no problems at all bringing the same train out of the tunnel. I tried it bunker first and it romped away with the train. I had something of the same problem with one of my Bachmann E4 0-6-2 tanks not being able to pull the proverbial skin off a rice pudding on the default settings of its CT Elektronik decoder. It looks like I'll have to do a few tweaks to CVs, particularly with reference to BEMF settings (the coreless motor may even benefit from these being turned off completely) and also the pulse width. Methinks a session on Decoder Pro may assist with this,as I'll be able to save settings that work and recall them if necessary.O2%200-4-4T%20on%20Parcels%20-%202%20modMore on this later, after I have had time to tinker.

Would it be the cv settings if it runs well in reverse on the same settings? Doesn't it sound more like adhesive weight being transferred to the bogie when running forwards?

• Like 1

It sounds like it is able to rock very very slightly on the rear driving wheel, so that when a load is applied to the rear coupling, it drops the back end down a fraction, but enough to remove adhesion from the front driving wheel. Other than weight at the front end, it might be possible to stiffen or enhance the spring over the bogie so that the back end drop is removed/countered. Or both together.

Edited by DavidH
  • Like 1

I'll certainly be investigating the weight transfer aspects, especially since three of you have suggested  it (with thanks, BTW). I cannot watch what happens in the tunnel but I will try a slightly different test to see if I can recreate the symptoms where I can closely observe it.

I have also experienced odd behaviours in just a select few locomotives where they work well in one direction but not in the other. As an example, I have a Hornby M7 (one of three) that worked fine in reverse but proceeded in a series of leaps, jerks and stops in the forward direction. Turning off the BEMF on the TCS decoder fixed the problem. Something in the electrical feedback was upsetting it with one polarity but not the other. The other M7s were fine. There could be momentary shorts but I would expect them in both directions if that was the case.

• RMweb Premium

odd behaviours in just a select few locomotives where they work well in one direction but not in the other. As an example, I have a Hornby M7 (one of three) that worked fine in reverse but proceeded in a series of leaps, jerks and stops in the forward direction.

It may or may not be significant that this is another 0-4-4T which is a notoriously difficult wheel arrangement to balance for model purposes.  Even Dave jones has said as much with respect to the O2s.

In this case, it is a coincidence as a couple of other locos with similar odd behaviour included a 4-6-0 and a Bo-Bo. As I have around 188 chipped locomotives and units, having three or four not being straightforward fit-it-and-run installations is not too bad a record.

I had a look and there is definitely some weight transfer, but that's not the whole story. If the weight is being lifted from the driving wheels, I would expect them to slip and spin. Ths does happen in reverse if I load it up. Forwards, it stutters and chatters but does not spin the wheels, although once I wind up the speed a bit, it will spin the drivers. It seems to be much weaker in the forward direction.

I tried a few tweaks in Decoder Pro, particularly the BEMF settings and the dither and amplitude settings. There was no real improvement at all, so I returned it to the default settings. 

I'm not too worried if it won't pull the load smokebox leading, but knowing it can do it with ease bunker leading means I had to try to sort it. As it is, it will certainly manage two coaches, such as a pull-push set.

I may have a good think about this and see what else I can come up with. Possibly the pickups need tweaking, and I will check the back-to-back settings before I let it go.

• RMweb Gold

See if you can lash up some sort of weight over the front, bluetak something on or,as in one of the preceding posts, rest something in the open smokebox. This at least should tell you if it is weight related.

And if it isn't a mechanical problem once BB's suggestion has been investigated.

I had a look and there is definitely some weight transfer, but that's not the whole story. If the weight is being lifted from the driving wheels, I would expect them to slip and spin. This does happen in reverse if I load it up...

I think that a sound analysis, so when:

... Forwards, it stutters and chatters but does not spin the wheels, although once I wind up the speed a bit, it will spin the drivers. It seems to be much weaker in the forward direction...

I would suggest that another possibility is the decoder frequently very briefly losing track supply due to either a momentary short or pick up failure; not for long enough that it shuts off and restarts, but enough that power to the motor sags off. I'd operate it in the dark to see if any sparking is evident as this often reveals the problem location.

Mine did not last long as 30225, renumbered to Eastleighs 30229. The 5s were more difficult to remove than Bachmann or Hornby lettering; eventually shifted them with a typists eraser pencil (do such things still exist?). The Pressfix number 9 however is thicker and brighter so some careful weathering will be required. In comparsion in less time than it took to remove the 5s I have just denumbered a pair of Bachmann 03s with nothing more than a wooden tooth pick / cocktail stick.

• Like 1

Okay I've trawled back through the thread but cannot find any comments re the strange plastic box in the accessory pack and the large flat piece. What are they? (The large flat piece is seemingly item 10 on the exploded drawing, described as pipe!) Also its noticeable that the instructions are Bachmann like in the lack of information as to where the vac pipe etc fit - okay I know its not that difficult as confirmed by photos in the thread but there are three holes on the buffer beams but only a solitary fixing point on each of the vac pipe and the dummy coupling which is bound to cause confusion

The exploded detail drawing is a bit of an explosion with the axles etc for the drivers and bogie wheels sort of transposed as to where you would expect them to be, the motor and worm are cross identified and the driving wheel bearings are listed as headcode discs!

Edited by Butler Henderson