Kernow Adams O2

Not been on website. What does it say?

It says the following:

This model arrived at lunchtime on 10th November.  We are currently processing pre-orders in strict date order, but please bear in mind we are also still working through orders for K2104 and K2106 which only recently arrived as well. - See more at: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/31963/K2101-DJ-Models-0-4-4T-O2-Steam-Locomotive-number-24#sthash.Pct5OKci.dpuf

Shall have to wait and see, if that is the case then i should of told them to change mine as I ordered them separately as i was aware deliveries were possibly going to be staggered to allow for order processing, so shame really if they have done that and a bit disappointed as I've been waiting in for it.

• RMweb Gold

Added liquid lead into the chimney and wrapped lead sheet in insulation before putting it alongside the decoder in the firebox. Real coal added to the removeable plastic coal load and crew added.

Still looking for a suitable loco that doesnt have the welded plates on the tanks side to renumber it to

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One thing on cab doors.  It was mentioned somewhere above that on the DJ Models O2 there is precious little to keep the two ends as one whole if the door is removed.  The cab roof is a separate assembly (on purpose so we can access the cab) and the single locating lug might not accept the additional burden in the long term if a lot more weight were placed upon it.  If nothing else it may start to loosen and potentially lead to distortion.

I don't remember seeing an O2 in mainland service though I very probably did.  I do recall that most of the smaller engines I saw in service has chains or nothing across the doorway.  It's also too long ago now for me to recall whether the IoW ones had doors, chains or nothing though I spent many days watching them amble up and down Ryde Pier (and occasionally elsewhere on the Island) in my youth.

Mine will all retain the moulded door.

• RMweb Gold

For those awaiting the southern green version, the Hamburg Express ship with models on board passed through the Suez Canal early this morning. A 26november arrival in Southampton looks feasible.

Useful, thanks. I am so enjoying my Southern black version - a truly jolly little loco, just like the 0298 - that I now think a green one would be fun, too.

• Like 2

02s generally replaced the well tanks and then the T1s replaced the 02s. On the Swanage Railway 02s worked alongside the well tanks instead. There is a photograph of 02 no 180 leaving Swanage Station on 15th July 1890, three months after it was built, with a train of six LSWR six wheelers on page 222 of Swanage 125 Years of Railways by B.L.Jackson. 180 was transferred to the Isle of Wight in May 1927 and became W31 Chale.

02 Calbourne visited the Swanage Railway in a steam gala a few years ago.

02s generally replaced the well tanks and then the T1s replaced the 02s. On the Swanage Railway 02s worked alongside the well tanks instead. There is a photograph of 02 no 180 leaving Swanage Station on 15th July 1890, three months after it was built, with a train of six LSWR six wheelers on page 222 of Swanage 125 Years of Railways by B.L.Jackson. 180 was transferred to the Isle of Wight in May 1927 and became W31 Chale.

02 Calbourne visited the Swanage Railway in a steam gala a few years ago.

There is just sufficient time for readers, who may not as yet have done so, to add the Adams T1 to their wishlist. A couple (just) survived the Hitler War at Plymouth Friary, in Bulleid black, and would perfectly accompany a suitable pair of 58ft rebuilds to and from Tavvy, alongside O2s and gate stock.

PB

Interesting  boiler  on  the  G6  model,  Drummond  and  Adams  safety  valves?  (nice  model  though)

Yes  the  G6  is  essentially  a  0-6-0  version  of  the  02  and  uses  identical  mechanical  components

The  G6  has  a  higher  cab  than  the  Kernow  model,  as  did  the  last  batch  of  02s  built,  other  than  that  virtually  the  same.

The  02  type  boiler  was  also  fitted  on  rebuilt  Beattie  well  tanks,  some  of  these  almost  new  boilers  removed  from  scrapped  well  tanks  were  then  reused  in  building  the  later batches  of  G6  locomotives.

Like  the  02s  and  Beatties  both  Adams  and  Drummond  boilers  were  used  on  the  G6.

The  boiler  on  "Calbourne"  was  originally  built  new  for  an  02,  it  only  arrived  on  the  Isle  of  Wight  in  1964  delivered  from  Eastleigh  for  "Calbournes"  last  major  BR  overhaul,  prior  to  this  it  was  on  a  G6  at  Meldon  Quarry.

Pete

Interesting  boiler  on  the  G6  model,  Drummond  and  Adams  safety  valves?  (nice  model  though)

Pete

Yes that was one of the first kits I built in the days when I was an apprentice, couldn't afford to buy extra brass parts or books for research, things got made with what came in the box. Lots of my models from then have mistakes to rectify as I have learn t along the way like cheap suction cup airbrushes are not the best to do weathering with hence the heavy track colour lower sides.

• RMweb Gold

Pretty much.

Img_2771%20640_zpsira9qlcz.jpg

Img_2774%20640_zpsdhtyfrl8.jpg

Img_2767%20640_zpsc1slk3kg.jpg

I've just held one of my O2s over the G6 drawing by Ian Beattie from the August 1997 issue of Railway Modeller and it is a very close match.

Your photos bear out my long-held opinion that the old Wills kit was made a bit taller than scale to clear the Hornby Dublo motor. I have a part-built South Eastern Finecast G6 somewhere (including a dedicated chassis kit) which looks more correct so it appears to have been re-tooled at some point during the intervening decades.  

I can't lay hands on the reference right now but I recall reading somewhere that the batch of G6s built under Dugald Drummond's regime re-used serviceable boilers from withdrawn Beattie Well tanks. These were some inches shorter than the usual O2/G6 type so were fitted with correspondingly longer smoke-boxes to make them interchangeable.

So, yes, it should be possible to convert a Kernow O2 into a representation of certain G6s (though not all).

However, I won't be doing so; I've decided to hunt down my SEF one and finally get it finished.

John

Wow, what a wonderful model the Island O2 is, really can't wait to see mine in the flesh. Etched nameplates are great.

Your cab roof seems a little 'off centre' (too much overhang at rear, not enough at front - is it removable on the Island O2s?)

Edited by G-BOAF

Wow, what a wonderful model the Island O2 is, really can't wait to see mine in the flesh. Etched nameplates are great.

Your cab roof seems a little 'off centre' (too much overhang at rear, not enough at front - is it removable on the Island O2s?)

It appears so, yes. The overhang isn't very noticeable at 'normal' viewing distances. When I come to add crew I'll see if I can improve the position but it doesn't detract in anyway from the appearance of the loco.

As some have mentioned haulage capabilities Phil Parker and I chucked my O2 onto the Leamington club's 'Duxbury' layout and started hanging coaches on the back.

6 coaches - no problem.

7 coaches - a bit of slipping on starting.

8 coaches - bogged it down around the curves.

I'd say the performance in this respect is fair enough, until manufacturers start giving us sandboxes firing Bullfrog snot onto the wheels.

• Like 11