Kernow Adams O2

The two are certainly sufficiently similar that Airfix planned to produce models of both using a single body tooling with inserts for the O2.

So the question is: has Kernow / DJ models done the same thing?

From looking at the parts sheet with my 02 it could just be a case of changing the chassis. As long as the relationship between the front axle and the motor isn't different it almost looks as if they could use what is already there (they have tooled 2 footplates so other variations for a G6 shouldn't be complex.) Fingers crossed for a Warley announcement...

Luke

• Like 1

The side cab cut-out was altered (and enlarged) for the final batch of O2s. This can be seen on photos. Photos also suggest that the G6 was similar to the later O2s in this respect. However there were other design changes that would need to be examined before using an early/late O2 body for a G6 model. For example, G6s could come with either Adams or Drummond boilers. Fortunately, there are copies of the relevant Eastleigh drawings for both major variations in Bradley's reference book on the Adams classes.

I would guess that this subject will have long since reached a feasibility conclusion in the design offices of Kernow Model, and I would also guess that it will be some time before any of my future pocket money will have to be transferred from more O2s to a single G6. But the potential market must be there.

PB

Waiting on Calbourne and Ventnor orders placed in Dec 2012. Always loved these engines from holidays on IOW. Pic below is me standing on Calbourne at Newport aged 13 sometime in 1970.

post-8516-0-01872100-1448314035_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

We drove over the site of Newport station a few weeks ago.

My 02 is nearing completion. However whilst timing one of the pipes yo clear the Kadee coupling, it flew out of my hand and now can't find it. It might have gone into one of the plant pots in the conservatory but despite looking with a magnifying glass and Light it's not turned up so far.

I sanded the Con rod nuts back to metal before weathering. This loco rubs very smoothly but yet yo try any load behind it. That will happen on Appledore at NEC this weekend.

post-1557-0-33096500-1448349882_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I look forward to seeing it....and Appledore of course.Be nice to have a close up look at one of these "on duty" and seeing what it can do.Great that you're showcasing them,as it were. If .....and it is a big "if"....,,I take the plunge at the Kernow stand.....could I ask for a test spin of mine if that is at all convenient ?

• RMweb Gold

I look forward to seeing it....and Appledore of course.Be nice to have a close up look at one of these "on duty" and seeing what it can do.Great that you're showcasing them,as it were. If .....and it is a big "if"....,,I take the plunge at the Kernow stand.....could I ask for a test spin of mine if that is at all convenient ?

I am sure you can.

Whilst its my layout its being exhibited b y Phatbob of this forum as he currently taking it to shows up North . I will be on my N scale layout Santa Barbara.

I will let him know that yo may wish to test one on Appledore.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

However, I won't be doing so; I've decided to hunt down my SEF one and finally get it finished.

Thanks John.

I've got an old Wills kit of a G6, which I'd like to build sometime. I doubt that I could ever have taken a knife to one of these lovely 02s, though (even if I did own one).

• RMweb Gold

No problem testing it for you.  Happy to help.

One thing though, mine definitely needed running in, as per the instructions supplied.  "Out of the box" is was superb in the forward direction but a bit jerky when running backwards.  Now it's run-in, if anything it runs faster backwards!?  So don't fret if it is a bit jerky on initial test.  Mine also has a little bag full of fluid lead in the smokebox and some down the inside of the chimney too.  As it'll be station pilot, it'll need to shift some heavy loads.

My Calbourne arrived at the weekend and I gave her a test-run yesterday, on my son's ancient Hornby set-track circuit-and-siding as I don't yet have a working layout.  Seemed to get around fine after the first half-dozen circuits, though the controller was too crude and the track too mucky to be any good for slow running trials.

As others have observed, she went rather better bunker-first - but what I did find when running smokebox-first and coming off a curve and almost immediately over a trailing point to the siding was that the engine's driving wheels didn't so much "bump over" the crossing vee as "drop into the hole with a big clonk and then climb out"!  Now granted track design and manufacture should have improved since the train set was made c. 25 years ago but this was quite startling to watch at first, and the engine derailed outright about every 7th-8th time, so I am just wondering has anyone else observed something of this nature with the O2 on more modern trackwork?  I'm thinking of using Peco Code 75, but if there's going to be a problem like this I may have to be very careful where I site my points.

Also, while I'm on, has anybody any suggestions for how to attach those lovely etched nameplates without risking getting glue of some description all over the bunker sides?  Not something I've tried before.  Low-tack masking tape seemed the obvious thought, but I worry that if I get it even slightly misaligned some debris may remain trapped behind the plate when I remove it once the adhesive has dried - or else the act of removing it bends or dislodges the plate.  Any suggestions from those who've successfully done the deed would be appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

Nameplates - double sided tape on the rear.

I use neat PVA.  If it leaks from the edge it's water-soluble and comes away easily without damaging the loco.  Never had one fall off yet.