• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just come across this and I have to say it's a lovely layout.

What he said!  I've only just come across it, but haven't had time for a full read through yet.

Cheers, Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Wayne 37901 said: "Any chance of a rail freight 26 on an early 90s mixed speed link turning up?"

Not in the near future. My time period is from the fall of Hitler to the rise of Thatcher, so you're more likely to see a plethora of green shunters turning up via the ever tempting range of Judith Edge.

Having said that, a rake of SIlver Bullets and an EWS 66 are lurking in the wings. I just need someone to do the TUA tanks for mud oil traffic.

• RMweb Premium

My time period is from the fall of Hitler to the rise of Thatcher

A wise choice if I may say so, James. :yes:

By the way, are you intending to go to Thirsk on the 27th? If you do, please stop by for a chat with Andy and myself on the 2FS stand.

David

• 3 weeks later...

One question, how did you do the ballast and what did you use??

Neil,

The ballast between the sleepers is C&L 2mm chippings. Several colours were randomly mixed together. Between and to the side of the tracks I used C&L ash ballast. This was stuck down with dilute Copydex, but I later re-fixed it with Johnson's Klear as the Copydex didn't stick very well to the foam underlay that I used as trackbed.

Textured paint from Green Scenes was used to blend the ballast into the scenic ground work and provide the basic colouring for the ballast. I just used the liquid part of the paint for this, leaving most of the sand 'texture' in the bottle. Various mucky washes were then used to bring it to life. Basically, any time that I had some weathering paint left over from something else, I thinned it and spoldged it on. Any holes that have appeared in the ballast have been filled with static grass or more ash ballast. Various scenic scatters and weathering powders have been added a bit at a time, trying not to overdo it in any one area. There's still a lot of scope for adding weeds, rubbish and muck.

Thanks for your kind comments.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I do apologise for the lack of updates. I was pretty ill for much of last year, got divorced this year and am now living in a much smaller house with no room to set the layout up. However, my modelling mojo is slowly returning and I hope to have some updates on progress soon.

Waterloo Street is at the Epsom show this weekend, so say hello if you're visiting.

post-6795-0-14795900-1461446758_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

James. I'm a wee bit confused.

Is this supposed to be the end of the line, as it is now? or is this a yard between Kittybrewster and the yard at the harbour?

Either way, great and inspirational modelling. Nice commentary too.

• 2 months later...

Here are a few pictures of Waterloo Street at the Nottingham show.

20010319_NottShow_1.jpg

Some empty bogie bolsters are removed from the tube storage yard. A boundary wall has appeared around the old warehouses. The skip lorry driver has taken another wrong turning trying to retrieve his missing skip. Better not keep Driver Stanley waiting or he'll get angry!

20010319_NottShow_5.jpg

The yard pilot gets ready to sort out another mixed rake of wagons sent down by the ill-trained marshalling staff at Kittybrewster. Shunting Inspector Furmage will not be happy with this situation...

20110320_NottShow_12.jpg

A delivery of carbon dioxide heads down to the fertilizer factory.

20110320_NottShow_13.jpg

Meanwhile, a few vans full of bagged fertilizer are ready to head out to garden centers from Forres to Findhorn.

20110320_NottShow_14.jpg

Readers of a nervous disposition will be happy to note that, following extensive overtime by Grampian's Finest, the missing point levers have been recovered and the Tarry Brig reunited with its paint. To prevent further loon-related losses, the paint has been securely gaffa-taped to the roadway - hopefully only a temporary measure.

Any readers with information regarding the whereabouts of a four track span of gas main and its associated support brackets, normally attached to the side of the bridge, should contact the staff bothy, as the kettle is getting cold.

Many thanks to Waveydavey for providing most of the stock seen here.

(2011-10-22: Edited to fix broken image links.)

great tankers, how did you make them? Is there an easy way of modifying a kit or making an rtr model for chemicals? Thanks

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've only just seen that there are some new messages about Waterloo Street. For some reason, I don't get notifications when new posts arrive any more. Anywho...

Thanks for the kind words, and for the chance to bring the layout to ExpoEM Autumn, which was very enjoyable. Following a long spell in the doldrums, and some damage in a house move, work is in progress again. The next outing will be to Scaleforum in September 2019, unless anyone has a better idea

great tankers, how did you make them? Is there an easy way of modifying a kit or making an rtr model for chemicals? Thanks

The CO2 tankers were built from Appleby Model Engineering kits by David Furmage, and lovely models they are too. I thought that someone had announced one of these as RTR, but that won't cover all the variations.

Thanks for that. I see it lists the layout as 1950's Scotland, surely that should be 1970's going by the photo's on here?

My long term plan is to have removable scenery and two sets of stock to cover both steam and diesel periods. The temptation to rebuild the thing with a scale length and the original trackplan is strong. More sidings, more tedious, pointless shunting... :D

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...