Jessop Yard

Georgie!!

Arrr right, you used fibres. I have always bought the tuffs or the matt. The Fibres look bang on some of the best I have seen on a layout. Very well done. I will be getting some. I have used the Noch static grass but yours looks better.

Thanks mate.

Hi all,

Leon - Thankyou for the comment, if you get the fibres I bought a couple of bags and I wouldnt use the fibres sparingly otherwise you will have flat grass, I had a play with the grass before sticking it on the layout. I would put a PVA down first, then the fibres and afterwards spray the fibres with Hairspray it makes it stick together and it dries as hard as a rock wink.gif Hope that helps!!

With the sun currently going down I thought the layout would look good with the Yard Tower Lights on

Photos below of the lights:

post-6787-127048956812_thumb.jpg

Below, 66178 passes under the lights heading for the fuelling points

post-6787-127048958079_thumb.jpg

Over next couple of days (or day) Im going to get all the electrics sorted so that all the lights can be on!

All comments welcome!!

Regards

Georgie

Hiya all,

Last night I managed to get the shed lights working too! So thats Yard tower lights, and now two wall lights that work and are rigged up!

Today the layout has gone a bit backwards and framing has being unscrewed and holes being drilled for the layout to be bolted together, then theres the track wiring and thats a job I very much dislike!! Im hoping to get the inside of the shed and the very small office building lights working too so hopefully tonight I shall have some more photos!

Below are a couple of photos of both Yard tower lights and wall lamps on and then a close up of the wall lamps:

post-6787-127055115203_thumb.jpg

post-6787-127055117889_thumb.jpg

Apologise if thread is boring, I shall try and live it up a bit

All comments welcome!!

Regards

Georgie

Apologise if thread is boring, I shall try and live it up a bit

As has been mentioned before, you might get more general response if you and one or two other posters stopped giving the impression that this was a conversation just within a small group. Cut out the "comments welcome" and the "thanks for the comments bud" stuff, use the "thank poster" button and keep the chat to PMs. Others may then join in. If members have something to comment, they will - they don't need to be told every post.

Hi all,

The layout is still sort of in bits, baseboard framing still needs to be cut to length and then holes made for the bolts

I have though, whilst waiting for the framing, completed all the track wiring on Board 1. The wires just need to be all put into a terminal block and hopefully a test run soon. Board 2 is half way finished with the track wiring too and again hopefully a test run soon

I also though managed to wire up the small office building with some lights, and in my opinion it looks ok, next is the portacabin and the shed, oh and buffer stop light! More on them though when there done.

I got a couple of photos of the small office building, one from the outside and the other looking inside:

post-6787-127056653747_thumb.jpg

post-6787-127056656295_thumb.jpg

The small office building is used for loco drivers, when they come straight into the yard they have to stop by the building and sign in or report to the yard manager that they arrived and then the driver gets told which where to go next like: Shed, Fuelling point or which stabling road to park in.

Regards

Georgie

Hello,

Today, another new member of the Jessop Yard fleet arrived! Photo below:

post-6787-127080786947_thumb.jpg

Its Class 37411 EWS Livery called Ty Hafan. The best thing the loco is that theres not much detail to add like the Vi trains class 37!

I couldnt resist having a class 37 line up, I think though for now I have enough 37s, next loco I think shall be a class 56

Photo below is of the line up of class 37s:

post-6787-127080819303_thumb.jpg

The layout has had its framing removed ready for this weekend when hopefully new, thicker, stronger framing will be added, then the layout will be bolted together and all wires connected and hopefully a few trains can move around.

Regards

Georgie

Hi all,

The framing is still being done so that means trains still cannot move!

I have been busy with other little items on the layout. Things like binbags full of rubbish dumped by the footpath, more weeds added amongst the rails. I have also managed to repaint the portacabin as it was in need of it. Im also going to add lights to the inside of the portacabin and also add a couple of people sitting down and add a television to make it look like the loco drivers are watching the television. The drivers are still being painted.

I also went over the fuelling points with the paint brush, they really did need a touch of paint.

The Shunters office is currently being painted but I have managed to run out of white paint so that will have to wait!

Below are a few photos of work thats been done around the layout:

post-6787-127144343025.jpg

The repainted portacabin

post-6787-127144351413.jpg

The painted fuelling points, the canopys just need weathering now.

post-6787-127144361243.jpg

66067 signs in.

Cheers

Georgie

Mate, I'm liking your work on the fuel-point. Some good distressing of the p-way and the concrete aprons - tasty! May I ask whose barrels you're using, from all the photos I've seen of shabby diesel facilities in the era I'm modelling, there are always loads lying around blink.gif

Oh, meant to say well done for having the backbone to carry on with this great hobby after your birthday - I know you got the wobbles for a while, but you've made the right decision to come back to it, for all the right reasons; so - well done our kid wink.gif

Hiya Chard,

The barrels are Knightwing White metal oil drums, I also used the Ten Commandments versions too but I do prefer the Knightwing versions wink.gif

Im still really a bit hit and miss, but I have found the hobby addictive and cant stop now laugh.gif

Cheers,

Georgie

Good man wink.gif The Knightwing option sounds spot-on. Used to have a bunch of Faller ones in a previous life, but they were HO and to be honest that's a compromise too far for such a common item.

Cheers bro

Hi all,

No probs Chard wink.gif

Yesterday with the weather being very nice, I decided to take the layout into the garden and photo some stock. Although none of the locos can actually move, due to the layout not being 100% completed in the wiring department, and I must get down to B&Q today!

The locos where mainly photographed aound the fuelling points as that is my favourite spot at the moment with track weathering, painting ect all completed wink.gif

Below are some shots of locos around the fuelling points:

post-6787-127149542076.jpg

60006 spotted fuelling up in bay 1

post-6787-127149543775.jpg

15mins later, 66067 arrives into bay 2 for fuel

post-6787-127149546563.jpg

A line up of locos, 66725 stabled awaiting its turn for fuelling

Cheers,

Georgie

Hi all,

Today I managed to complete the frame for the layout. New, thicker and stronger framing has been added and the whole layout is now level too.

The wiring is next on the To Do list, now that the frame is done I have got no excuses unsure.gif

So, tomorrow the plan is to complete the wiring, both track and lights and hopefully if all goes well I may have a good testing session biggrin.gif

I have also found some spare pieces of very thin wood that is perfect for the new shed that Im planning on building, hopefully the building will be better built wink.gif

I will take new photos of the layout tomorrow

Regards

Georgie

Hi all,

Today I have managed to complete the wiring on board 1, both track and lights!

I even got a few locos out, to 'test' them and it was nice to see locos moving again with both lights and sound. although they didnt go very far or move onto different sidings, but I still had some fun!

The wiring, however, did take longer than expected. I thought it would only take me 30 mins to an hour, but its taken all day! Time to start on board 2 rolleyes.gif

A couple of photos below of locos with lights on, yard lights on, and an overall photo of board 1.

post-6787-127160725229.jpg

post-6787-127160726773.jpg

post-6787-127160728863.jpg

Regards

Georgie

Hi all,

Lewis - No, Im searching the internet for some proper trestles, I have found all sorts, some really cheap but too small, some really expensive but too big and wide, I have not yet found any that I like yet. The stools where just used to help raise the layout off the floor so that I could do all the wiring wink.gif

I havent done much to the layout, there seems to be a short with one of my points everytime I switch on the layout, I cant find anything its been wired up correctly, wires are not touching to cause a short, its just really odd and I just cant work out where the problem is!

When the point is set against where the short is everything works, but when I switch the point back it shorts!? strange stuff huh.gif

I managed to take a couple of pics before the point went mad:

post-6787-127175275638.jpg

66067 caught just before leaving the fuelling point

post-6787-127175277567.jpg

60029 heading for the shed

Regards

Georgie

Ayup Georgie,

Looking good fela, your layout looks soo different now and it has legs! Its really coming on now and good to see your geting the wiring done, that short you have is it not the rails touching were they should be gapped? I'd check the gap to make sure its not bridging the joint mine do this especially in summer when the track expands can be a nightmare dude but i don't want to make the gaps bigger to stop the problem!

Anyway keep it up and more piccies please especially likin your 37 line up and theres me thinking you were a GM man obviously not BRING ON THE TRACTORS! :D

Cheers, Jon.

Hiya Jon,

The legs for the layout are just 'borrowed' for now, Im still looking around trying to find a set of trestles that I like.

A gap? I didnt know you where supposed to leave one huh.gif Cheers though Jon, I shall try it, could it be the fibre grass?

laugh.gif Nope, still a big GM fan, there the last tractors now, well... for a while

Edit: Just found the problem to the short, I umm.. wired the layout wrong, posative to negative and negative to posative unsure.gif Cheers for the help though Jon, much appreciated!

Regards

Georgie

Hi Georgie,

Nice piccies and glad to see the layout is wired back up and partially operational :)

Not sure what budget you're working too for trestles but these are the trestles I've got for my layout which were well worth the investment as they're sturdy and also adjustable so the layout can be raised up when needing to do any work underneath :-

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/167430

Cheers

Tim

Hi all,

Tim - Thankyou for the link, they are the type of trestles Im after, ones where you can change the height, fabtastic! Much appreciated!

Yesterday I took the layout into the garden, with the the sun shining and the weather warm it was picture perfect weather! So I got some stock out, placed them on the layout and took a few shots of them. The short has been sorted aswell. The fuelling point, however, needs a spot more work doing to it as when I got two class 66 locomotives fuelling the fuelling point was too short for them so an extension is needed, and talking of extensions, Im currently making a plan to add an extension of 2 to 3ft to the layout. Nothing yet really set Im still very much working on it, and Im not too sure if it will go ahead due to space wink.gif

The photos below are of locos on the layout out enjoying the sun:

post-6787-127186706972.jpg

post-6787-127186708622.jpg

post-6787-127186710524.jpg

post-6787-127186712468.jpg

It will be nice to be able to take the whole layout out into the garden, and actually be able to photo them moving with lights and sound! Lets just hope the weather keeps on being nice wink.gif

Regards

Georgie

Hi all,

Cheers Leon, if the weather is nice this weekend I shall take the layout out into the garden.

Nothing has been done on the layout over the past couple of days. So this evening I decided to rig up the portacabins lights up along with the shunters office and yard tower lights. Picture below of the lights:

post-6787-127204903051_thumb.jpg

Regards

Georgie

Archived