Jessop Yard

Georgie!!

Hi all,

I need someone who has a good mathematical brain to please tell me how much feet I have left from 2010 inches? my layout currently is 3ft by 1ft ish. Im thinking about adding another board but I got lost trying to work out how much space I have left? I will add a little track plan of what im going to do if I add an extension or do I leave it to be a suprise?laugh.gif

No updates yet but hopefully tonight!!

Cheers

George

George,

there's 12in to every foot. So your area at present in sq.inches = 3 x 12 x 12 = ...

take that number away from 2010 and that's your extension area.

If you're keeping the 1ft width, divide the extension area by 12 to get your maximum length in inches.

All this should be within the capability of your mobile phone calculator, if you don't have a separate one and your maths is rusty.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse further!

George,

there's 12in to every foot. So your area at present in sq.inches = 3 x 12 x 12 = ...

take that number away from 2010 and that's your extension area.

If you're keeping the 1ft width, divide the extension area by 12 to get your maximum length in inches.

All this should be within the capability of your mobile phone calculator, if you don't have a separate one and your maths is rusty.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse further!

Cheers Jamie icon_thumbsup2.gif I can struggle with maths at times icon_lol.gif I did the sum and it came out as 1578 inches!! I shall see if google can change that into feet!! but hopefully now I can have me extension!!

I have just turned inches into feet and it says theres 131.5feet?? is that right?? if so, thats a lot of space!! I should convert the loft icon_lol.gif

Now the next sum, the extension will also be 1ft wide so, if the new extension was to be again 3ft by 1ft all I now need to do is times them together and then divid by 12?? confused myself again icon_redface.gif If this sort of helps would either 6ft by 1ft or 7ft by 1ft be ok for the challenge?? Hopless at maths icon_lol.gif

Cheers again Jamie!!

George

No, you've 1578 square inches left over, dividing that by twelve (that is, a 1ft wide board) gives you 131.5 inches or 10 :O feet in length.

Which is huge, still. :blink:

Yes, 6x1 or 7x1 total will still be fine - do it trial by error:

6x12 x 1x12 = 864 sq.in

7x12 x 1x12 = 1008 sq.in

see what I'm doing there? :D

No, you've 1578 square inches left over, dividing that by twelve (that is, a 1ft wide board) gives you 131.5 inches or 10 ohmy.gif feet in length.

Which is huge, still. blink.gif

Yes, 6x1 or 7x1 total will still be fine - do it trial by error:

6x12 x 1x12 = 864 sq.in

7x12 x 1x12 = 1008 sq.in

see what I'm doing there? biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif I laugh.gif

10 feet mellow.gif thats alot!! ya I think I shall stop at 6 or 7ft biggrin.gif

Cheers for the help Jamie icon_thumbsup2.gif much appriciated!!

George

Hi all,

Well I had one busy day yesterday adding ballast, more scenic items and this morning I have just finished weeding, sorry adding weeds to the layout to make it look like it isnt cared for!! I have also found a fantastic spot for taking me photos of the layout!! Me bedroom window!! The layout just fits nicelyish on the ledge, results of photos are:

post-6787-12594955413801_thumb.jpg

This picture is the Depot entrance, still need to add the security gate biggrin.gif

post-6787-12594956380098_thumb.jpg

This picture is of the weeds and cable trunking added

post-6787-12594957363441_thumb.jpg

This picture is of the work still to be done sad.gif laugh.gif

post-6787-12594958184621_thumb.jpg

This picture is of the Yard Tower Light in position, but stuck down using blue tak so that I can remove it for its safety!!

post-6787-12594959514766_thumb.jpg

Just a random pic of one of the workmen with the first load of oil!!

post-6787-1259496058996_thumb.jpg

And last but not least, a pic of the Shed area (once its built!!) laugh.gif

I have done a bit of work yesterday and today I shall add the security gate and a few more bits and pieces and hopefully make a start on the shed!!

All comments welcome!!

Cheers

George

Hi all,

Quick note to say I have started on the Depot building!!! My sister asked me if I wanted a shoe box so I said I would try and find it a home and have used the shoe box as an outline for the depot!! I have started to add the brick work just the corragated sheets for the sides!! I also have a couple of things im stuck with:

1. Do I make a pointy roof?
  2. Do I add windows so people can look in??

The building, although looks like a shoe box at the moment, looks very much at home on the layout and gives more detail!!

The extension aswell has had a look at and I have changed the shed area into fuelling points!! So depot building safe to be build and stuck down so that it wont move!!

Cheers

George

Good evening all,

Well you all know I have had a bit of a busy weekend!! So tonight I finish with the shed!!

I used a shoe box as an outline and something strong that all the bits and pieces can hold onto. I have added the closed door to the shed but still unsure about the roof? do I keep it flat, or raise it into a point? I do have more strong card so it should be straight forward to raise into a point.

I am also unsure about the sides. Do I add corrogated sheets or something on the lines of Sandhills?? I shall look at others and make a decision but if you have any ideas please let me know biggrin.gif

So you all probably want photos of todays bit of work on the shed?? I thought you might laugh.gif

Photos:

post-6787-12595239450585_thumb.jpg

This picture is of the side of he shed a tiny bit brick, the hole will be a door and the rest at the moment is card.

post-6787-12595240322271_thumb.jpg

Me favourite side!! This is where the most time was spent having to cut tiny little pieces of stuff and then glue them into position!!

I am also going to add windows so that you all can have a little nosey into the shed and see whats going on laugh.gif

So, I am mainly now going to ponder with my new shed and add items to it to make it more realistic I shall keep updating when I have done something that I think is ok!!

All comments welcome!!

Cheers

George

Afternoon all,

Very quick note before I run off to college!! I shall start with the shed, it has now been stuck down on the layout into position and a few little items placed aroond the outside, I have items arriving hopefully Xmas day and they will mainly be items for inside of the shed!!

I have also being looking around at others websites! I had a look at Mr Sandhills website and has given me tonnes of inspiration and ideas that I can hopefully use??

I shall show pictures when I have done them!!

Right, photos:

post-6787-12595855078881_thumb.jpg

A side shot of the shed with windows now fitted!!

post-6787-12595855479055_thumb.jpg

A front shot with 57602 having a nosey more detail also has been added outside!!

All comments welcome!!

Cheers

George

Hi all,

I found some corragated shaped card the other day and thought why not try it on the shed?? So as you can imagine I did just that! After many a minutes sticking and cutting and when it all dried it looks more realistic, I think?? But when I woke up this morning, pottering around the internet I came across a picture of a depot and well, I have put the card the wrong way round!!! I shall post a pic of it please tell me what you think!!

I am still waiting for DHL to deliver me parcel!! They say that it should be delivered today, But when??

So once again I have got more photos of the layout!! I can honestly admit that I am enjoying this new layout!! can't wait for the extension!

Photos:

post-6787-12596636190584_thumb.jpg

post-6787-1259663654097_thumb.jpg

post-6787-1259663874298_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12596642779836_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12596643267474_thumb.jpg

Please enjoy!!

All comments welcome!!

Cheers

George

Hi all,

Today I have spray painted my shed with Halfords grey priemer paint that I managed to collect the other day!! I started with the roof and really enjoyed it until I started the sides! why ohh why did I decided to have windows?? These either need cleaning or new pieces put in place as they have turned the exact same colour as the building!! I went into the garden and just as I started the sides it started blowing a gale so all the paint sprayed all over!! But never mind I shall replace or clean things and now need to look out for red brick paint? Anybody know where I can get some from??

Photos:

post-6787-12598567166254_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12598567729408_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12598568589213_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12598569444772_thumb.jpg

And on the note of paint does anybody know where I can purchase concrete coloured paint aswell??

All comments welcome!

Cheers

George

icon_wow.gif How have you got that much done is such a short time? Excellent work George. I can't start on my Challenge layout until the new year.

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif Cheers for the comment!! I really dont how I have got so far I just seem to do a bit here and bit there and away I goicon_lol.gif How come you cant start until new year if you dont mind me asking??

George

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif Cheers for the comment!! I really dont how I have got so far I just seem to do a bit here and bit there and away I goicon_lol.gif How come you cant start until new year if you dont mind me asking??

George

The usual excuse lack of funds, especially with christmas coming up. Also, I will be up in Scotland for most of the Christmas holiday, so I'll be away. Need to order timber, and pick up the track.

Evening all,

quick note really, cant take photos due to light angry.gif , I have done more work on the shed started with the roof and doors more coats of paint to be applied to the doors and when the stones dry possibly a little bit of filling the gaps will need to be done. I have decided to go for a flat roof but added spare ballast to represent felt on the roof and other pieces of detial like gutters and pipes are yet to be added.

On Tuesday a new visitor shall arrive and he shall be staying laugh.gif

I shall add photos of the shed hopefully tomorrow and tackle other pieces around the layout or even start the Extension icon_what.gif icon_what.gif So all I can say is Watch This Space icon_lol.gif

Cheers

George

Good morning all,

Photos as promised of the shed with roof done just a bit of filling the gaps to be done. Doors painted yellow, possibly another coat needed then the black stripes can be painted. Today I shall have a look around and see if there is any wood spare for me to start the extension. I really want to start on electrics both wiring the track and adding lights but can't as I have run out of solder!!

Photos:

post-6787-12600977506705_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12600978005509_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12600978411864_thumb.jpg

I shall try and do more work else where on the layout, I am probably boring you all with pics of the shed I do apologise if I am and I shall try and do more work else where and post more piccies!!

All comments welcome!!

Cheers

George

Hi all,

I have started constructing the board but its sort of in pieces so like a jigsaw puzzle I am putting the pieces together and then glueing them together so I am now waiting for some pieces to dry!!

I also have seemed to gain more space, this was originally going to be a car park but because I all ready really got a car park I have decided to add a train wash??

The only problem I am faced with is that for this layout I said I would either do kit and scratch building. The problem is that I have a train wash but its the Bachmann version. I think I shall Have to purchase the knightwing version but can anybody please tell me how wide the base is for the kit?? I dont want to put track in place and add ballast to then find out that the washer will not fit!!

Photo of construction:

post-6787-1260105497514_thumb.jpg

All comments welcome!!

Cheers

George

Archived