Jessop Yard

Georgie!!

Hi all,

The other day I has a really good reading session on P4 New Street by Jim S W! I also read his blog about modelling real places and its got me thinking...

When I was younger until the age of eight, I was brought up in a little town called Northallerton. Nearly everyweekend we use to go to the railway station to either meet our Grandparents and other friends and relatives or went to say goodbye and whatch the train go. So although the years where 1995 to 2000 of which I can remember, we used to see all sorts of passenger stock to freight, but then came the really sad day when I got told that we are moving to a town called Huddersfield. The liveries that I can remember where the old browny red coloured Trans Pennine 158s, HST 43s, 91s and 82s in GNER, the early EWS so lots of 37s and 47s, Triple greys and they where all diesels like 56s, 37s and 60s. All sorts of freight ran through on coal workings to steel workings, container to departmental but I could be wrong!! The railway has two levels, an upper and lower. The lower drops down further down the line from the station but goes throuh many crossings I can remember five main crossings!! The upper is the mainline that runs to York and Leeds!!

If I was to recreate mt favourite train station in the whole world, it most deffinetly will be this one!! Northallerton!! Although only a two platformed station the scenery around the station is just perfect!! Obviousley I will model it in OO gauge, and the size?... Well we will let that sort its self out, but put it this way, ten locos in a line only just fit in my room!!

Below are photos of what I shall try and create:

NorthallertonRailwayStation.jpg

Pb049881.jpg

2257443064_e9d0a58b5a.jpg?v=0

These pictures show the station that holds all my childhood memories and everytime I see these they just flood back to me!!

The only problem is going to be the actual size of it all!! the platforms need to hold a rake of eight coaches but the station is a funny shape, instead of being in line there are way out!! Just the station area will only just fit in my room but the other scenic boards and fiddle yards well... (Another chapter)

The other problem is the layout. the track is sort of in the air on bridges and the town scene on the floor whilst New Street is the other way round!!

I will hopefully post any pics here and I will try and sweet talk me parents for a trip to Northallerton and try and get plenty of piccies!!

If anyone has photos or information about the station exspecially between 1995 to 2000 then please post them!!

Cheers all, and I hope I didnt put you all to sleep!

George

Hi George

This did'nt put me to sleep, I am a Northallerton lad born and bred and still live there. It is a n excellent station for seeing all sorts of locos with the goods lines and the east cost mainline and one day even the Wensleydale Line????

Often thought it would be great to model the whole area around it keeps changing with new buildings going up all the time, but still it has the main thing which is the varity of stock on the line.

Nik

Hey Nik,

Great to here from another Northallerton lad!! Its my favourite place to visit and the station although only a two platformed station still the best I have seen!! Its going to be a while until I actually start modeling it, I need to go and pay a visit to the station and get as many photos as possible!! But the other problem is the size!! 30ft a bit big!!

60maniac

Cheers for the comment!! you made the topic go onto another page laugh.gif again laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hi all,

Got a little chance today to start work on Jessop Yard!

Santa Clause brought me nearly all of Knightwings kits but not all!

Hopefully this pic will show you just how much I got!

post-6787-12617626547421_thumb.jpg

I also snapped me new building through stages of construction!

post-6787-12617627599448_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12617628188391_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12617628704318_thumb.jpg

I also took pics of some items sort of in place around the yard!

post-6787-12617629707676_thumb.jpg

post-6787-1261763032125_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12617631035675_thumb.jpg

I also took pics of the inside of the shed and around the outside!

post-6787-12617631938633_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12617632542409_thumb.jpg

The loco servicing platform has been built just needs a spot of paint, then things like bins, oil drums, gas bottles and welding sets can be added aswell as staff!

More is yet to come but this will probably be Monday!!

All comments welcome!

Regards and Merry xmas!

George

Hi all,

Rich - Cheers for the comment biggrin.gif I did get everything wanted for the railway and I suppose all the other stuff too!!

Started painting and adding little items to the depot. Its starting to pop into life as I have just been told by my sister, so it must be time for an update!

I havent done a great deal of work. Just painted point leveres and installed them, ballast bin painted and added, another lineside AWS box added and loads of little work men arrived for work!!

I also looked in my old shoe box of railway goodies and found some Bachmann roadworks so I thought why not have roadworks in the car park? roadwokers where then to be found and added aswell as staff for the shed! I also added bits like welding sets biggrin.gif as I am learning to be one so they must be added with gas bottles too biggrin.gif I have taken photos so you can see whats been done! next job- finish little items and start backscene sad.gif Now I think its beer time! laugh.gif its Xmas!!

Picture below is of the car park and entrance

post-6787-12618345158146_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12618345573391_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12618346133724_thumb.jpg

post-6787-1261834659322_thumb.jpg

The next set of photos are of the yard!

post-6787-12618347477887_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12618348012869_thumb.jpg

And last but not least pics of inside the shed!

post-6787-12618348693879_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12618348979118_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12618349269425_thumb.jpg

Now I did say big updates where to happen after Xmas! laugh.gif

Enjoy and all comments welcome!!

Cheers

George

Morning all,

Thanks again Rich for your comment!

Last night, even though a house full of guests, I still went on painting and building bits and pieces! Last night I got told how to make red brick colour aswell as plenty others! So, once I mixed a few colours I started painting the shed and the little storage building in red brick and they both now look like buildings... Well I think! The fire exit door needs painting on the shed and this will be blue I think and then grass and all kinds of junk and weeds can be added to create a run down feel! Point levers have also been painted and the points themselves have had a bit of colour too! Today I have made a To Do List and theres enough on there to keep me busy until later on this afternoon! First thing is to finish off the shed and cable trunking!

Here are a couple of photos for you!

post-6787-1261909679773_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12619097415872_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12619097938995_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12619098332848_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12619098734521_thumb.jpg

The photos are of the red brick colour paint and work done around the yard. I also last night painted 22 pallets and 12 oil drums!

All comments welcome!!

Cheers all,

George

Hi all,

Thanks Rich for the comment!

I got a little bit bored of painting so I decided to take some photos in good light of the whole layout! Any Exhibition managers looking for a little layout for there show then drop me a comment biggrin.gif Im more than happy to go to a show!!

I did however change the windows so we can all have a look at the workmen are doing, just lights to add and the shed is done I think?

I am going to get started on the second board and give a whole new piece of life and look more like a run down, well used railway!! More to come later as yet track is to be properley laid sad.gif

Photos:

post-6787-12619258450787_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12619259657989_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12619260345122_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12619260775504_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12619261868208_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12619262436016_thumb.jpg

Hope you all like?

I have also painted the fire exit door blue and the shed is ready for its next coat of red brick. I will then mix more colours for brown and make a little path to the store room and add loads of grass, weeds and tonnes of railway junk and also trespassers! More later!

All comments welcome!

Cheers

George

Hi all,

WOW... Its ten past twelve!! Time flies by these days!!

Rich thanks for the comment matey!

I have started work on board two today... well last night. Two lines, ballast has dried but over the crazy points its drying! I added weeds to the dried lines and bits of detail like cable trunking and AWS box. Still loads to do on this board but I have completley run out of track! Hattons! Talking of Hattons, I had a look today at there Bachmann 66s looking for the EWS 66068 and they have all gone!!! They had them on a bargain of ??50!! Now I can't have a EWS 66 and I can't Renumber one!! sad.gif But on the brighter side of Hattons, I looked at the Hornby 2010 range and they are bringing the Class 59 in DB Shenker out!! cant wait for that one!! Shame about there prices for DCC Sound, I can't afford ??188 Class 60!!! Are they MAD!!

So, my little 2010 list of locos to get:

1) Hornby Class 59 DB Shenker

2) EWS Class 08 Shunter

3) My Class 60 to be resprayed ( thats a secret though)

..... and we shall see what else pops up!!

Does anyone know when Bachmann bring there 2010 range list out?? Would like to see if they bring out another 66!!

I have a couple of photos showing work done last night and this morningafternoon laugh.gif (I know, no space between the words)laugh.gif

post-6787-12620024988215_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12620025779173_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12620026184135_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12620027128168_thumb.jpg

I know not much has been done but im slowly getting there!!

I have started now to work on board two as board one is getting to life like, and so board two now needs to follow!!

All comments welcome!!

Cheers

George

Hi all,

Hit a bored patch just now with ballast still drying and now paint drying, it has left me no choice but to do some weathering!!

I have a RMC PCA Petrol tank which I shall use to supply Jessop Yard with diesel! I did have a go at weathering this before but after reading Chris's Blog and reading about how he weathered his HHA using MIG Powders I used the same method! And I think it worked for me? I bought these powders a while back but now I know what to add it will be a breeze!! I will do the same to me wagons that will visit the wagon works and then possibly attempt my Class 09...!!

Cheers

George

post-6787-12620140273315_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12620140762673_thumb.jpg

Good start their Georgie, although one thing to look out for is the use of prototype photos when weathering. It's basically a primary look at how the dirt is cascaded on the bodyside of the wagon- I notice that the dirt is going sideways on your model- try streaking it downwards as the rain would of washed it off the top down to solebar level.

Take a look at this site for some prototype photos to help you. http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/search.php?txt=PCA&action=Go&t=p

Hope this helps.

Hi Jack - Cheers for the comment! I heard that the Class 70 was only going to be available from Freightliner?? I could be wrong!

Hi Chris, glad you got in touch!! You did a fantastic job of that HHA! I can clearly see what you mean! Thanks for the link I will check it out and re-do the tank!

Cheers to both of you!!

George

Hi Jack - Cheers for the comment! I heard that the Class 70 was only going to be available from Freightliner?? I could be wrong!

S'al right Georgie! You are right, and so am i. Bachmann are bringing out a LTD edition of 70001 'PowerHaul', as the main leader of the 'Bettys', which is available thru Freightliner.co.uk. They are also bringing out a standard release of another 70, un-named, unsure which one it is.

Hi all,

Rich, thanks for the comment matey!

I will have photos tomorrow of things painted and detailed as right lighting extremely poor!

Just a little shout out for signal men if possible, my three way point, in model world, will be automatically controlled and all the others are manual, what signals are needed and where are they supposed to be placed on the layout?

post-6787-12620027128168_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12620026184135_thumb.jpg

Hopefully these two images my be of assistance?!

If anyone can help that would be great!!

Cheers all,

George

Archived