Hinksey Yard (c.2010)

Dave Searle

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Well, the ballasting has started!  Following Andy's tests we have standardised on a variable mix of Carrs 2mm light grey ballast and Chinchilla dust. This is applied either by a ballast spreader or teaspoon and adjusted with a fine paint brush.  Diluted PVA is then carefully dripped onto the settled ballast.

post-203-0-22036900-1364975108.jpg

Where the sidings are close together some extra cork has been added for the paths between the tracks which are about level with the top of the sleepers.  This also helps keep the ballast in position.

post-203-0-41858700-1364975107.jpg

Care needs to be taken around point work:

post-203-0-10428400-1364975104.jpg

The south (Abingdon Road) board has largely been done.  From

post-203-0-34161800-1364975109.jpg

to

post-203-0-29674300-1364975106.jpg

post-203-0-23906400-1364975105.jpg

Meanwhile we are working on the lighting gantry and Bill has started painting it a reasonable match for EWS maroon.

post-203-0-72727200-1364975102.jpg

Fluorescent T5 tubes and daylight bulbs are on their way and we've built the uprights to support the fascia (but I forgot to take any photos).

We are getting close to the club's show at the end of the month where we will be showing the layout as "under construction".  We will have stock running and hopefully some descriptions so that viewers can see how we've done things.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bri.s

Loving this layout very nice size wish i had that kind of room for mine good to see a yard layout plenty of operational possibilitys ill be watching with interest for updates

Great stuff

Bri.s

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was good to see Hinksey yard yesterday and at NESCOT. Some superb wagon weathering.

Very impressive and really look forward to seeing it again as work progresses. Good luck with all those trees.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your kind comments, it was good to have a chat with you yesterday.

The layout seemed to be very well received especially with the younger generation as we tried to keep stuff moving all the time.  We learnt a lot about the practicalities of running it under exhibition conditions which hadn't been apparent in the club room - the lines of sight from one end of the fiddle yard to the other kept getting blocked by the central yard operator. We could also do with a special exhibition fiddle yard to take about three times the stock.

Generally once the initial stock selection had had any poor performers weeded out, everything worked quite well, we just need to be careful not to knock stock off in the fiddle yard when leaning over to see the front.

I hope to post a few photos later.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dave

We have that problem knocking that stock off but its often our stomachs that get in the way!

I agree that often the only way to really find out how a layout perfoms is at its first show or two, depsite numerous operating sessions beforehand.

Your idea of a larger fiddleyard is a good one, The downside is the extra time setting up and stocking it though!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

Yes, it was often our stomachs!

Putting out the stock took quite a while, but we did it in a relaxed way on Friday evening. Removal was quite quick due to the labelled foam stock trays - each train goes into 1 or 2 trays so is easy to organise/delegate.

The break down of the layout at the end of the show was quite rapid - stock removed and layout ready to be loaded in the van inside 40 minutes. The travel "wardrobe" proved its worth allowing us to load the boards and wheel it out very quickly and smoothly.

Here are some shots I took on Friday after setting up:

Overall view from the Didcot end looking North, showing the lighting gantry:

post-203-0-12031400-1367231663_thumb.jpg

Overall view from the Oxford end looking South:

post-203-0-09317100-1367231604_thumb.jpg

Didcot end:

post-203-0-75665600-1367231646_thumb.jpg

Site office, ballast pile, Farish Autoballasters and NGS Osprey kits with 2mmFS Easitrack track panels:

post-203-0-81282500-1367231619_thumb.jpg

Site office, ballast pile, Autoballasters:

post-203-0-73298100-1367231632_thumb.jpg

A second fiddle yard will also need a travelling trolley, but won't be as bulky.  We already need a Luton van with a tail lift (which just copes with the current "wardrobe"), so a further smaller trolley won't be a problem.  Just need to design it, but will probably leave it for a little while.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Dave

I didnt notice it yesterday but looking at the photos I like the way you have brought the lighting pelmet forward of the layout to give more lighting to the front.

Also thats very good getting everything down in 40 minutes.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

It's coming on really well! 

On our club layout - partly due to the "belly on the line" issue you've identified - we have clip on wooden panels to protect the stock.  I think they have saved a lot of trouble!

Agreed about operating in exhibition conditions - there's always something you don't consider that will turn around and bite you!

Look forward to seeing this at a future exhibition.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Indeed, further to my earlier post, if you look at post #224 on p9 of our layout thread here; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/30801-horseley-fields-n-gauge-layout-was-dibben-junction/page-9  you will observe the green protective panels discharging their duty with alacrity!

cheers

Ben A.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

It's been quiet for a while, with bank holidays and the Club AGM in May and then the club moved premises in June as the old church hall closed and we arrived at the new one. This brand new hall is bigger, better lit, has better acoustics and, most important, direct access to the kitchen for teas, so wins all round.

Meanwhile some gentle progress has been made on the layout.  Basic scenic foundations have been added in front of the back scene to provide some variation in height. Some ballast that had dried strange blue and green colours has been lifted and replaced. And we've started painting the ground surface ready for serious scenic work.

There is still a some work to do blending the different shades of ballast into each other, especially near baseboard joints. Once we are happy with that, then the little details can be added (point motors and levers, TPWS & AWS).  Cable troughs are nearly all in place along the front. 

The South (Didcot) end has made the most progress, but looks a bit bare, there will be a lot of trees and undergrowth and fencing to add in this area:

post-203-0-62622800-1375774526.png 

post-203-0-64581700-1375774515.png

Added some plaster bandage over cork and solid foam formers:

post-203-0-67143600-1375774498.png

Then we started adding some colour for the ground and paths between the various tracks:

post-203-0-33247000-1375774485.png

post-203-0-09828400-1375774474.png

post-203-0-63539300-1375774555.png

We've also added one of the extra "belly-guards" to the fiddle-yard - time will tell if it is high enough:

post-203-0-85282500-1375774541.png

We are now having more frequent Saturday meetings, so that gives a chance for jobs that need more drying time.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The scheduled demolition date of Whitehouse footbridge is over the weekend of 15-16th February 2014.

No word yet on Lake Footbridge

Hopefully we'll get the models built before the prototypes are demolished. Are they being replaced?

We are now modelling history!  :paint:

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

There's a lot of ballast on this layout!  Most of it is now in place and we're gradually tidying it up, filling in the missing bits and getting the colours evened out.

post-203-0-38471800-1381207834.jpg

Last night, at one point, we had seven team members working on the layout at the same time (although in this picture some seem to be trying to hide in the kitchen). Even on a layout this size we have difficulty not getting in each others way. However my "job creation scheme" of painting the fiddle yard zones seemed to help! The idea is to improve the ability to see where stock is (in relation to the electrical sections and point work) from the control positions at the other end of the layout.

post-203-0-87271200-1381207847_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile on the scenic side, the cork underlay is being given a basic colouring prior to scenic ground cover being added.  The recent acquisition of Gordon Gravett's book on modelling grass gives us a high standard to aim at.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 8

There's a lot of ballast on this layout!

Well it is a virtual quarry! ;)

By chance Ive just spent half the afternoon there, I was going to just stop for 5mins and watch the Eastleigh ballast arrive but he foiled my plan to get some well-needed exercise by shunting wagons around for 45mins, then the cowley train arrived and had to run around ... so my cycle turn was delayed by an hour :D

One thing did strike me and that was how tidy the sidings are - neat ballasting, well trimmed vegetation and no rubbish to be seen. It must be one of the neatest parts of the network!

• Like 1