Hinksey Yard (c.2010)

Dave Searle

• RMweb Gold

The 'padding is the stuffed snake!!

There's a spiderman lurking in there too

I'm down there all next week with various jobs so i'll grab some pics of the bits difficult to see from the bridge like the picnic tables made from sleepers, chock storage units etc

Ben:

Good spot noticing that the bogies on the Auto-ballasters were incorrect; I've been through the collection and moved a couple of bogies that had somehow crept under the wrong vehicles

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ben

1) in the photo of the Network Rail MRA wagon, I am very impressed with the effect of the foliage growing up and through the blue fencing at the rear of the scene. How was this achieved - and in particular what brand or type of foliage have you used?

Andy tells me there is a mixture of Woodland Scenics fine scatter, Heki short static grass fibres (applied by tweezers & small puffer) and some teased out foliage net (Folinet) from Ceynix Trees.  Plus plenty of diluted Woodland Scenics Scenic cement and cheap extra-hold hairspray.  Also some coloured fine scatter for "flowers" from Natural Scenics Ltd. (via Amazon).

Cheers,

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Safely back from a very enjoyable weekend at Warley with the layout. It was very nice to meet a number of RMWeb members, especially Brain Daniels and big jim who have helped us with on-site photos.

After a few initial teething troubles the layout settled down and worked pretty well, we tried to keep a good flow of trains moving which seemed to maintain the interest of the viewers.  Not surprisingly with Warley being quite near Hinksey, there were many people who knew the area well and recognised the various features - "We've stood on that bridge" was quite a common comment.  We had lots of favourable comments on the scenic details and from the more knowledgeable N gauge enthusiasts about the more unusual stock (the MRA wagons from Modern Image Models in particular).  We also had some interest in our foam stock trays (JB Model World) from people who could see round the back of the layout.

We've come away with a list of fixes and improvements - operating in front of an audience teaches you what works and is appreciated and what doesn't.

So just a couple of photos. We were in a block with three other excellent N gauge layouts: Tanners Hill, Banbury and Nine Mills:

post-203-0-27601600-1416823342_thumb.jpg

And towards the end of Saturday you could actually get to the front of the layout:

post-203-0-38132000-1416823380_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to the Warley Club for an excellent show and making us welcome.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

It was great to see you and the layout at the weekend. And big thanks to your colleague who explained how you did the excellent scenic treatments of the shunter's office and the railings.

I tried to take a snap but unfortunately my terrible camera phone and the lighting at Warley conspire to make this possibly the worst photo ever taken of your layout... (and matched only in its awfulness by my blurred pic of Banbury!)

post-420-0-63309400-1416825112_thumb.jpg

Thanks too for hosting our Pendolino project flyers.  I posted this in our thread but it seems appropriate to add here...

post-420-0-20634400-1416825038_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Hello all

Was a good weekend I think for all the layouts in our little block.

I think we put modern image N gauge back on the map so to speak.

Really enjoyed looking at your layout and the network rail MRA wagons looked really good. ( pity they were not around in the NSE period)

all the best hope to run into you again

Steve (Tanners hill)

• RMweb Premium

It was a great layout, very impressed! Wonderful seeing some proper scale length trains running!

I liked the concrete sleeper points at the (viewers) RH end - any idea what paint you used? We're they just brush painted over the standard peco sleeper colour? Only time I've noticed it done first hand, and the end result looked great!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments.

The points were painted with an enamel paint possibly "Weathered Concrete" from the Precision Paints range and then weathered with weathering powders. The paint tin has been finished so I can't check what it was. We aimed to try and match the colour of the Peco code 55 concrete sleepers, with a few of them being painted in the same colour to blend the transition.

post-203-0-41787100-1416991034.png

post-203-0-65471000-1416991190_thumb.jpg

We've assembled quite a collection of such paints (dirty track, grime...), washes and weathering powders and just try various methods until things look right.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any updates on the layout after Warley.

Hi Ian,

We've done some sorting out of a couple of points that had got paint and muck between the blades causing some pickup problems. Also replaced a point motor that failed.

We are putting together a list of things to do, some scenics, some electrical (making the signals work), drawing up plans for a new larger extra fiddle yard.

In the meantime I've been experimenting with modifying DG couplings to fit into NEM sockets. This has been quite successful with the buried permanent magnets. I'll try and get some photos on Saturday (our next working day).

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

We are putting together a list of things to do, some scenics,

next time im down there in daylight i'll get some pics of the groundframe on the reception line as i notice you've not modelled that yet

unfortunatly (for you, not me) it wont be until the new year now

Nice progress with the layout, it was Autoballaster central when we passed the real one earlier! That and JNAs everywhere. The detailing is coming on nicely, I can't wait to see more.

I take it you weren't on 6M50 today then Jim, I did think of you as it passed Banbury

jo