Hinksey Yard (c.2010)

Dave Searle

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your comments. we feel we're making good progress.

I need to get the 165/166s out again and have a look. I think we may need to strip them back and repaint them as I originally brush painted them in a hurry and they would look better sprayed.  If you get FGW neon-lines decals sorted, then please let me know.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Dave Searle

• RMweb Gold

Dave.

I brush painted mine but once decals are on and the bodies are sprayed with Dullcote I think that they will look fine.

I will try making my own neon lines up and see how they turn out. Will let you know when I do.

Ian

• Like 1

Looking really good with all the vegetation :)

I dont know if its of interest but there are alot of deer living in the woods/undergrowth at the N end of your scene, Ive seen up to a dozen of the cheeky chaps wandering all over the sidings and even running lines after rainy spells in the summer - I think they may be tempted out of cover by the freshly grown grass. Its rare to see that many out in the open, but common to spot a few lurking at the edge of the undergrowth if you keep your eyes peeled. I think they are Roe deer, but I stand to be corrected on that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has it really been three months since I last updated this? Sorry.

I've finished the site office which needs to be bedded in and foliage added to the trellising:

post-203-0-38820400-1413876258.jpg

post-203-0-47344900-1413877291.jpg

We've been steadily adding more detailing to the scenery, loads of palisade fencing and small bushes and ground cover.

Brian S has been busy creating various colourful plants such as buddleia and rose bay willow herb:

post-203-0-66855000-1413876239.jpg

We've also set his Pylon in place:

post-203-0-89490100-1413876179.jpg

We had a full working Saturday this week and took the chance to get some stock out and test the running - to make sure that the scenic work hadn't gummed everything up:

A class 08 on some of David's Network Rail autoballasters (NGS kits)

post-203-0-91460500-1413876194.jpg

Some of David's  MRA wagons (Modern Image Models) and Carillion Autoballasters (NGS kits)

post-203-0-49976200-1413876220.jpg

post-203-0-15265600-1413876229.jpg

Somehow a Hanson Class 59 (CJM) has appeared in the Yard

post-203-0-46851700-1413876204.jpg

We're now on the countdown to Warley, trying to get as much finished as possible.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

We are in the same block of layouts at Warley.

Yes we are looking forward to it - we are planning to have signs showing the relative directions of Didcot and Oxford and will add Banbury.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has it really been three months since I last updated this? Sorry.

I've finished the site office which needs to be bedded in and foliage added to the trellising:

attachicon.gifSite-office-01.jpg

attachicon.gifSite-office-02.jpg

We've been steadily adding more detailing to the scenery, loads of palisade fencing and small bushes and ground cover.

Brian S has been busy creating various colourful plants such as buddleia and rose bay willow herb:

attachicon.gifNorth-bridge-03.jpg

We've also set his Pylon in place:

attachicon.gifPylon-01.jpg

We had a full working Saturday this week and took the chance to get some stock out and test the running - to make sure that the scenic work hadn't gummed everything up:

A class 08 on some of David's Network Rail autoballasters (NGS kits)

attachicon.gifClass-08-01.jpg

Some of David's  MRA wagons (Modern Image Models) and Carillion Autoballasters (NGS kits)

attachicon.gifMRA-01.jpg

attachicon.gifMRA-02.jpg

Somehow a Hanson Class 59 (CJM) has appeared in the Yard

attachicon.gifClass-59-01.jpg

We're now on the countdown to Warley, trying to get as much finished as possible.

Cheers,

Dave

I honestly thought the first photo was one of the real thing for reference, and had to look again...excellent work and top-notch modelling on here; I love the trees and vegetation - so hard to get right but you seem to have cracked it as they create the perfect backdrop to the stock...

So sad I can't make Warley; any chance of you appearing at Ally Pally...?

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

So sad I can't make Warley; any chance of you appearing at Ally Pally...?

Warley is our first outing with the (completed) layout, so at the moment our only other confirmed booking is for our own show next year (Epsom & Ewell Show at NESCOT - 25/26 April).

This may change :)

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Absolutely superb work. Really looking forward to seeing this at Warley.

A couple of questions:

1) in the photo of the Network Rail MRA wagon, I am very impressed with the effect of the foliage growing up and through the blue fencing at the rear of the scene. How was this achieved - and in particular what brand or type of foliage have you used?

2). The network rail auto ballasters appear to have the wrong bogies fitted. If they are the ones supplies with the NGS kit, and you want to correct them, please contact the shop for replacements. The HQA auto ballasters - in the fixed rakes of five - have NACCO axle motion bogies. The single unit JJA wagons - which are very similar, but still all in unbranded Railtrack colours as far as I know - have the fabricated Y25 types you've got.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Absolutely superb work. Really looking forward to seeing this at Warley.

A couple of questions:

1) in the photo of the Network Rail MRA wagon, I am very impressed with the effect of the foliage growing up and through the blue fencing at the rear of the scene. How was this achieved - and in particular what brand or type of foliage have you used?

2). The network rail auto ballasters appear to have the wrong bogies fitted. If they are the ones supplies with the NGS kit, and you want to correct them, please contact the shop for replacements. The HQA auto ballasters - in the fixed rakes of five - have NACCO axle motion bogies. The single unit JJA wagons - which are very similar, but still all in unbranded Railtrack colours as far as I know - have the fabricated Y25 types you've got.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Many thanks.

1. We have loads of Woodland Scenics scatters in various degrees of fine-ness, but I'll check with Andy what he used. The scatter was carefully put in place and then diluted Woodland Scenics cement dripped on.

2. Thanks for that, I'll check with David whether he has the right bogies or if it was a case of putting the wrong ones under the wagons.

Hope to see you at Warley,

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget the stuffed snake in the trellising when you add the foilage to it

(Ill get a pic on monday if i remember)

Hi Jim,

A photo would be great. In my photos, I can see what appears to be a blue water pipe and some padding to protect heads when going through the gaps in the trellis.

post-203-0-55457000-1414016820_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3