Wadebridge

Etched Pixels

I won't copy the old stuff over (it seems to produce these hideously long slow loading pages)

The basic thesis of the layout is that Wadebridge got rationalised not closed. The track plan is the 1970s plan as was (partly by accident as I added a crossover to the North Cornwall book layout to make it work and discovered that was in fact correct not the book)

A couple of shots from this evening now I've stuck simple nets of the key buildings up for testing

This is about as far back a period as I intend to cover with a ready to be scrapped 45xx and B set soon to be replaced forever by DMU services.

post-6740-12584035373817_thumb.jpg

post-6740-1258403544762_thumb.jpg

the main focus is on things rather more modern however and I'm planning to use some interchangable sets of the buildings/signs/oddments.

• 2 weeks later...

More base coats, more woodwork around the back, putting in the flat ground for the station and the downward sloping area behind it for the car park. I've also now mocked that up with Scalescenes bits to put in a bus stop.

For regional railways kind of era the idea is to build a trashed version of the station building and fence it and most of the platform off leaving just a bit at one end with the entrance as the gap from the former bookstall (which in reality became sort of vehicle entrance in BR days for freight only). Fencing off the building and finishing the platform curve makes it just long enough for a two car 158.

post-6740-12592613220731_thumb.jpg

Last night I added the first area of the rough ground beyond the station that was formerly the edge of the loco depot and other facilities complete with some kind of shed. I'll probably add some old track panels and other junk to it later.

post-6740-12593260533485_thumb.jpg

the foam based edge didn't like the base paint and had a different texture so I'll need to cover that before extending to the board edge.

The other side here is proving more complex. There are very few photos of the buildings between the station and the brook/river, or of the brook facing end of the original B&W railway sheds just beyond. The shed behind the platform is also little covered, particularly from the road side, which fortunately is the back of the layout.

• 1 month later...

The grass along the front has grown a good deal over christmas along with a wooden front board. I need to get started on the buildings proper at some point but I still don't have any convincingly suitable textures. The SR fencing is however now ready to fit so I can start building up the area to the side of the station building/Betjeman centre. In the mean time I've been getting a bit of running and size testing done. Not much freight at the moment as I've still got to lay the majority of the sidings over the bridge as well as build fertilizer vans, the rest of a rake of clayhoods and finish redoing the presflos as the "Powdered Slate" versions.

Late 1980s Summer saturdays. Front coach is a Mark II conversion using Electra sides, Ultima vents, Ian Stoate underframe detail and TPM rubbing plates/doors. The mark 1 parts of the rake are slowly getting fitted with Ultima underframes and weathered up,

post-6740-12625319441771_thumb.jpg

The remains of the ACE- if an SWT Waterloo to Paignton could exist then so could Waterloo Padstow 8)

post-6740-12625319602003_thumb.jpg

Typical 1970s stock (needs decalling assuming the Dapol 121/2 doens't appear soon)

post-6740-12625319746458_thumb.jpg

Network Rail test train

post-6740-12625319884049_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Been a long time with other stuff getting in the way but some progress has finally occurred and the removable fiddle yard is down and the base layers for the track out of Wadebridge towards Padstow (with the layout visible area ending just after the crossing as the trains disappear off scene alongside Eddystone Road.

post-6740-127214485491_thumb.jpg

Now I can start laying the track to the board edge and fitting the point/wiring on the main board to feed the stores/fertilizer loading on the new board.

Alan

post-6740-127214486381_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The fiddle yard got some additional work done on it. Firstly to add strengthening bars where the end of the removable section will stand on end when in storage. As the fiddle yard framing below the board level ends before the board end (so the board can fit over the supports and is long enough for the fiddle) it needed some above board support too.

Then it seemed a waste of space not to use the area above the fiddle yard which carries the single track for the main layout fiddleyard loop across the doorway. It was a bank holiday, there was no rugby on and I had a saw handy so I got erm.. distracted doing some of the initial bits for that.

post-6740-127292501515_thumb.jpg

and started building up a scene for the single line to pass...The building is temporary I'd note and I need to put together a small stone cottage or chape or similar for that space.

post-6740-127292503482_thumb.jpg

Now the strengtheners for the fiddle yard look platformish.. which makes me wonder if something in the style of the marvellous Farthing layout bits is practicable to waste even less space ;)

Alan

Archived