Jack's in, or "Shortliners shortline"

shortliner

I've been working on the backing board today, currently much clamping and extreme stickiness. Hopefully by tomorrow all will be set and I'll be able to post another photo. Discovered that the yard was fitted with Hayes bumpers on the siding ends so placed an order with "The Signal Box", then had to ring them this morning when I remembered that the head-shunt needs one too!icon_redface.gif (instant wally!)

I thought a version of this might work for the layout name sign

In the previous photo, the layout is sitting atop a Lidl work-vice-thingy, but it wouldn't be displayed like that!

One for the computer and the inkjet printer!...custom signs are so easy these days.

Stephen

My local £££ shop has some plastic fridge magnet letters - which happen to be a reasonable match for the typeface(not exact, but close enough for my purposes). I used these for the nameboard for Fiddlestick Yard, gluing them into position. The original has two different sizes of font - mine will manage with all the letters in a single size!

Thanks for that, Paul. Here are some photos taken about 10 minutes ago - The Locolifts would normally be supported on a table, rather than hanging in mid-air, and will be "off-stage" behind the sign board. The quality is not wonderful as the photos have been reduced in size

post-6688-127088654797_thumb.jpg

post-6688-127088656689_thumb.jpg

post-6688-127088659319_thumb.jpg

post-6688-127088661302_thumb.jpg

post-6688-127088663257_thumb.jpg

post-6688-127088667006_thumb.jpg

It's looking very good Jack. You have captured the idea of a small, carfloat-connected, terminal yard. Just the facilities for servicing customers and nothing more.

I'm looking forward to your progress in detailing the yard.

Gil, known as Bill somedays ... B)

Thanks to you both for the kind comments, Warren and Gil(aka Bil) - I picked up the letter sets, and have assembled the sign back and frame. Laid the letters out and it looks fine except for one small point - I need another "T" for the very last letter on there, and I have completely cleared the shop - however the manager says he is heading to wherever he gets his stock on Monday and will make sure to pick me a set up - along with some more for the shop. Unfortunately he won't be back until Friday! So I will just have to exercise patience! If it turns out that the supplier doesn't have any, I forsee a plasticine cast, and some resin coming into play.

There is no way they will remain in their present colours - like I said " the letters will be affixed, the whole sign then sprayed , probably matt black, and the letters picked out in white". The sign might look good in Maroon with White - but so far as I can see, the Erie RR stuck to Henry Fords maxim - any colour you like so long as it is black!

I have painted "hazy sky" on the backscene board - it is currently drying - and using Google Streetview I have sketched (my description - anyone with art training would throw their hands up in horror)an outline of the far side of the river (present day). I have no idea how much of what is visible is "new" - apart from the supermarket that is going into the 149th street yard space - so I'll make do. It will be another of the hazy, oversprayed backgrounds with buildings as hazy blocks of colour (thanks to Barry Ten and Cogirep for the inspiration) - I'm not even going to try doing the windows or a representation of them - I need Stephen Wiltshire(Google and Youtube and stand back in amazement) to do me an original(he'd do it justice!) It will be interesting to see if my final result works. As I'm sure that any of you who are following along with my lunacy realize, an awful lot of what I am doing is "experimental!"

Thanks SG, but I'm afraid they are going to be painted - I get enough comments about "playing with trains" without it looking like a leftover from playskule! To save Warren holding his breath any longer, I managed to get some carbon paper this morning, traced through my original onto the back-scene, and it has been done in three layers over the sky - currently drying but not enough light to photograph it - the sun is in the west and the garage door opens to the east. I'll see if there is sun in the morning and try to get a photo then. My Caboose Ground throws and the PECO Hayes track bumpers have turned up.

Jack

Archived