Wainwright C-class 0-6-0

phil gollin

• RMweb Premium

Good luck on getting guaranteed prices for future releases, but if you find a supplier. please let us all know.

Regards wagons for the SECR Wainwright C - have a look at Cambrian kits, who do a range of SECR wagons.  Transfers may however be a problem.

Edited to correct typo

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my SE &CR 271 yesterday, beautiful loco so well detailed and runs smoothly from the off, Now have 592 and 271 and look forward to appropriate coaching stock. I would be interested to know what sort of freight stock these locos would have worked. Does anyone know of any online references to the wagons of the period?

Don't forget that all the Southern constituent companies received far more goods traffic than they originated. Thus wagons from all or any of the North-of-London railways would be entirely correct.

Well Hatton's got back to me as they had a few more come in, only thing was , they where the SECR one and Southern war time black and at £96.99, Not the pre-order price when i placed my order last year.

So at that i think i give this one a miss, this time.

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Gold

Well Hatton's got back to me as they had a few more come in, only thing was , they where the SECR one and Southern war time black and at £96.99, Not the pre-order price when i placed my order last year.

So at that i think i give this one a miss, this time.

There are plenty available elsewhere,Darren,but at the new price,I'm afraid. Hereford Model Centre are well-stocked with all three versions.

Don't forget that all the Southern constituent companies received far more goods traffic than they originated. Thus wagons from all or any of the North-of-London railways would be entirely correct.

Without looking it up, thus Hamilton Ellis' comment: "the Southern goods train, with only the locomotive and guards van to indicate the line on which it was running".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my SE &CR 271 yesterday, beautiful loco so well detailed and runs smoothly from the off, Now have 592 and 271 and look forward to appropriate coaching stock. I would be interested to know what sort of freight stock these locos would have worked. Does anyone know of any online references to the wagons of the period?

If you want r-t-r wagons suitable to run with these locos, there are precious few. Apart from the small veteran PO types produced by Hornby, the vast majority are of post-1923 prototypes. Dapol have done the Tar tank and some pre-1923 style PO opens on the correct wheelbase in more recent times. 

Cambrian Models offer a wide range of suitable kits, including the obligatory 'Dance Hall' brake van and several other SECR prototypes.  Many others produce pre-group wagon kits of other companies and many would have been seen on SECR metals. Many pre-group goods trains included almost as many 'foreign' wagons as 'native' ones, Just steer clear of special-purpose wagons which tended to stay on their home turf most of the time.

Of the other plastic kits Coopercraft/Slaters cover a fair range of GWR and MR prototypes, Ratio do the GWR Iron Mink and Parkside a 9' Mink and the longer Mink D, both with the older style of doors and vents which shout pre-1923 at most people.

Another thing to bear in mind is the balance of types; in pre-grouping times (and, indeed, into the 1930s) sheeted opens were used for much general merchandise traffic and vans were much less numerous than they later became. The Big Four companies decided that the greater protection/security offered by vans outweighed the extra cost and began to build many more of them during the twenties.   

John

Good luck on getting guaranteed prices for future releases, but if you find a supplier. please let us all know.

Regards wagons for the SECR Wainwright C - have a look at Cambrian kits, who do a range of SECR wagons.  Transfers may however be a problem.

Edited to correct typo

Built quite a few of the Cambrian kits, transfers are no problem, they are on the SR HMRS sheets... quite easy to get hold of. Still got a 5 plank wagon and a Dance hall brake to finish off at some point.

• RMweb Premium

Having received no. A593 in SR lined black there is one odd aspect to it - the buffer shanks aren't painted*. This doesn't look to be an error per say because Bachmann's catalogue page has the loco in the same condition but it does seem an odd thing to have happened in real life, can any SR experts advise on the real prototype with this regard?

*(because they are unpainted plastic they do stand out even more than were they painted black plastic if you get my drift)

As regards wagons for the SECR examples, last year Bachmann did a set of 3 SECR open wagons through their collectors club and while obviously limited in number they could occasional crop up on the second hand market.

Edited by phil-b259

When I was digging for information on brake vans, mainly pre-grouping southern ones, I found that on at least one of the illustrations too, where the buffer shanks were black against the standard end colour (vermillion, I think). I can't quote my source at the moment but going from memory it may have been an LBSC or LSWR van in SR livery.

There are definitely precedents for this but I don't know the reasons or the applications for sure.

Kernow Model Rail have advised in this weeks newsletter that Bachmann have sold out of  all 3 'C' classes and Kernow have sold out of 31-463 -SECR version, with low stocks of the other two versions. They seem to be going as fast as the first run 18 months ago.

The Downton Abbey effect? WW1 centenary?

Anyone remembering BR steam must be in their fifties. Modellers look to the past.

Sixties more like i'm 56 and i don't remember steam. went from here early { east anglia } My sister doe's shes 65

Well, just short of their sixties! I'm 59 and do remember steam on the Kent coast lines, watched from my grandparents' back garden or kitchen window in Petts Wood. I remember Bulleid pacifics and the steam hauled Golden Arrow but I was too young to notice details like locomotive names and numbers.

• Like 2

Hi All.

Picked up the SE&CR and Southern C classes last week. Both are very good runners. Found the the wire sand pipes were not very well aligned with the wheels again. They are only glued on so can be removed if necessary and glued back with superglue.

Had a funny with the Southern one, wondered why the tender would not couple up to the loco. Found that this was due to the draw bar having been fitted in the wrong place - at the bottom of the loco chassis instead in the slot between the bottom of the footplate and top of the chassis. I unclipped DCC lead to the tender, and took the two screws out to release the loco body, it was then straight forward to reposition the draw bar and put back together.

One disappointment, Bachmann have not fitted extra pick-ups to the tender on this second batch as I think they have done to other recent 0-6-0 tender locos. We have found when running the C's on our exhibition layouts that the pick-ups on the locos are not brilliant, particularly the ones on the last axle and that locos can stop short when running onto a dead section. Anyone else noticed this problem ?

I noticed that a few people were asking about suitable stock to run with the C classes.

I have attached a few pictures of some of the wagons which operate on my Hawkhurst layout for interest. All have been weathered using diluted acrylic paints and matt varnish tinted with various shades of brown paint.

There are four of the Cambrian ones and I have more of these and some five planks and single bolsters to do, plus some chassis parts to make up a carriage truck. They build up well, but the end stanchions  on the brake van are quite weak and fiddly until attached to the roof.

Also a few Chatham Kits (now Roxey) which are still available and an old K's van, a bit crude. The LC&DR Brake Van is in etched brass with double overlays and was a to build. Definitely not a beginners kit. The Carriage van in contrast, also in brass, was very easy to build. The three plank drop-side is also very nice.

I bought two sets of the Bachmann limited edition wagons, one of which went wrong at the weathering stage due to a dodgy can of Humbrol matt varnish. Fortunately I was able to pull this back with some careful re-touching with dilute acrylics etc.

One that you may not have thought of, the Parkside Dundas SE&CR Luggage Van based on the one on the Bluebell Railway. A nice kit, but I built this before I had access to full lettering details so some of it is wrong or missing and I am not sure about the body colour. I am waiting to see if Bachmann do a limited edition version of this to see what colour they paint theirs and match that colour for some of my future kit-built coaching stock.

Finally there are three D & S Cattle Wagons which I have just finished. these are modelled loaded with cattle, two with Herefords and one with Highland Cattle. They have also been fully weathered including the obligatory lime was as used prior to 1930. Unfortunately these excellent kits are no longer available.

I hope that this is of interest and that the pictures come out o.k. as it is the first time I have tried posting pictures on the blog.

post-22398-0-17227100-1404742646_thumb.jpg

post-22398-0-81743500-1404742727_thumb.jpg

post-22398-0-19033200-1404742757_thumb.jpg

post-22398-0-77643700-1404742777_thumb.jpg

post-22398-0-88970900-1404742807_thumb.jpg

post-22398-0-54565000-1404742882_thumb.jpg

post-22398-0-35499200-1404743198_thumb.jpg

post-22398-0-37318300-1404743292_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Thought this might be of interest- I purchased one with the intention of modifying it into a Caley 0-6-0, which proved impracticable, so adapted the chassis to fit into an existing kit body. This involved dismantling the chassis, and here it is apart. Square axleboxes, but with bearings- so far has only been bench run, but seems very smooth.

post-2642-0-39885500-1404762965_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-04855000-1404762983_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I got my 271 today.

Here are a couple of pics comparing the two liveries. The green are exactly the same between both only the new model is slightly symplified:

Sadly the new 271 runs like a dog. The motor is Noisy compared with the first 2 C class I recieve. And the model has a horrible sideways rock (or roll).

post-15098-0-84993600-1404764715_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-25769800-1404764735_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

On the subject of SECR wagons.

Aside from Bachmann's limited set of 3 open wagons last year, Dapol has also done 2 open wagons in SECR colours in the past. One as part of a "hop" series, the other for a Bluebell railway group to restore an actual wagon the model was supposed to represent.

So that makes 5 RTR open wagons on SECR grey (though I doubt the wagons used actually existed in 1910).

I have supplemented these with a Chatham Dockyard wagon.

I got my 271 today.

Here are a couple of pics comparing the two liveries. The green are exactly the same between both only the new model is slightly symplified:

Why is there no lining on the newer model around the under frames, if they expect us to pay for these model at higher prices, I would at least expect to models to be just as good/better than what you got when this model came out last year.

Darren01

• RMweb Gold

Darren

This is because the new model represents a different SECR livery, ie the later simplified livery style rather then earlier full,  than the original version.  It is a simplified SECR livery not a simplified Bachmann application.

Graham's comments are quite correct and there is in fact a fourth variation of SE&CR livery which Bachmann could apply to the model. This is unlined green with SE 271 CR on the tender side and the rectangular SE&CR plate on the cabside and tender rear as per the grey version. Please bear in mind that the simplified green and unlined green liveries would have only been carried for a fairly short time during the WW1 period before the grey livery was adopted. Also only a limited number of locos would have been painted so if they required a re-paint. 

I also have one of the Dapol wagons in SE&CR livery which was commissioned by Ballards of Tunbridge Wells. This carries a authentic livery for an open wagon with a large poster advertising the hop factor and which is illustrated in the wagon book. The prototype vehicle in question was however a much older type.

...This involved dismantling the chassis, and here it is apart. Square axleboxes, but with bearings- so far has only been bench run, but seems very smooth...

It's not the bearings you want to worry about for continued smooth running. See the wipers on the ends of the pick up strips that contact small patches on a screwed on PCB, to transfer the power? That's a production line expedient, and sooner or later one will go intermittent contact. Soldering the wires directly to the pick strip ends makes reassembly a tad more awkward, but it only has to be done that once.  (This may just be prejudice on my part, but I would much rather have a solid soldered joint than one little piece of metal sprung against another.)