Wainwright C-class 0-6-0

phil gollin

Absolutely ridiculous pricing, but if a punter wants its it fair enough.

I bought a rake of Mk1 Pullmans, lovely at about average price of £19 when they came out.

What I cannot accept is the price hike of old tooling to nearly £70.

New models fair enough you factor in the development and tooling but not something that goes back to the last century and they try to justify the price hike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mk1 Pullmans do not go back to the last century, they were I think about 2005/2006 iirc.

Also bear in mind that given the tooling is old, the assembly is more labour intensive; the lighting electrics are probably quite different to recently tooled models, e.g. Mk2s, which use advances in micro-electronics to reduce assembly costs.

If the Mk1 pullmans were to be retooled to use these new electrics, that tooling cost would have to be passed on to the end customer, and I presume Bachmann feels that using the existing assembly is more cost effective.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

If the Mk1 pullmans were to be retooled to use these new electrics, that tooling cost would have to be passed on to the end customer, and I presume Bachmann feels that using the existing assembly is more cost effective.

The pullmans have specially shaped diodes for the table lamps, i would not except those to change. Any controling PCB (printed circuit board) would be easy to swap for more modern versions without needing to retool. Whether more modern versions would be cheaper though, I doubt it unless the components were previously hand soldered.

The mk2s have a relatively simple roof lighting stripe which doubtless is easier to assemble than diode table lamps. But those mark 2s are not much cheaper than the Bachmann Pullmans (if at all).

Back on subject, I personally love the SECR, but it was bit of a toss up between this loco, the 3 new birdcages and the crane all coming at once. The crane won!

The first run Cs flew of the shelves (I was really worried for my parcel at the time as I knew that if it was broke or went missing, their were no replacements) but those Atlantic classes (both GNR and LBSCR) have seen all the first run editions now being discounted to try and sell them.

The Hornby first run Nelson class is showing a similar tale though maybe the fact the Bachmann model exists, can now be picked up for next to nothing and does not look out of place next to it, probably slowed sales of this loco too.

If the locos are not selling because people say they cost too much, that is just feedback, plain and simple. If the manufacturer can do nothing about it, then I doubt we will see any further repeats. 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just acquired a C class. 

Has anyone had an issue removing the loco chassis? 

Screws removed as per but it will not budge. 

Any suggestions gratefully received. 

Rob. 

This is usually caused by assembly while the paint on the chassis block is still possessed of some tackiness. and bonds to close fitting surfaces on the body interior. (If you want a real test the Ivatt 4MT 'mucky duck 2-6-0 is the most resistant I have yet encountered from their range.) Bit of force, lots of wiggling, has got me there every time, the bond is brittle.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Quick  query re  the  C  Class.........

Does  the  latest  release  have  tender  pickups  and  are  there  Solder pads  available  for  Sound  loudspeaker  use?

Thanks

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

Fairly sure none of the OO C Class versions have tender pickups but they are all 21pin with decoder in tender with speaker pads on the PCB and a decent amount of room for speaker and stay alive.

• Thanks 1

On 15/03/2021 at 15:24, Stevelewis said:

Quick  query re  the  C  Class.........

Does  the  latest  release  have  tender  pickups  and  are  there  Solder pads  available  for  Sound  loudspeaker  use?

Thanks

I have C classes from all batches. There are no changes in the latest lot.