Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

As previously announced Dapol will be producing the Western in 2mm and 4mm.

I placed an article on the scanning process in Showcase here - http://www.rmweb.co....howcase/?p=1493

The initial CAD output from the scanning is now being worked upon by Dapol for checking and addition of further detail.

Western1a.jpg

The initial views of the CAD capture the roof profile over the window well, addressing the main issue with Heljan's earlier offering. Hopefully I can keep you updated with further information and illustrations as the process continues.

Western1.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. The CAD looks very encouraging. When first looking at the Heljan model I could see the roof profile didn't look quite right, but could never quite tell why. Now you can see the lines on the CAD, the subtleties of the shape show up very well. Let's hope the tool-makers can replicate it.

A 4mm version in time for Christmas would be just the ticket.

Hi Guys,

to add to Andy's earlier comments, here's where we are with the cad.

Firstly the only palpable thing you see that we have is here. Work is now going on to refine the cad/cam to include the nuances that earlier and later once had. (thinking battery box, side opening hatch and boiler grill etc)

We are designing the Western to have a fixed valance and thinking about the possibility (only thinking mind) to supply the loco fitted with NEM microtrains couplers, with spare UK couplers in the box.

The scanning was the most complex we have ever done, as mindful of other attempts in all gauges to replicate this model unsuccessfully, i asked for not the usual 4 points of scanning but 10 points.

This was because i wanted to make sure that pesky roof , cab roof front (peak) and 'nose' with cab front windows and distances etc were scanned very accurately. We also scanned underneath the front valance and fuel tanks as there are 2 pipes underneath the tank that are coloured depending on liquid carried and i wanted to replicate these too. We also managed to capture the off set fan grillsnicely too.

I also, along with the scanning company, took a full photo survey of 'Champion' for analysing alongside the scans, and pictures readily available on the Locomotive.

So, thats progress so far, and while i know its not much to look at at the moment, it gives you an idea of how accurate (or otherwise :( ) the OO and N gauge model will be.

As usual, i would appreciate any comments regarding the look etc, but i hope it doesnt dissappoint the way it looks at the moment.

Delivery is still scheduled for this year in both gauges by the way.:)

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

• Like 7

I think that this bit of the post deserves a seond glance.

We are designing the Western to have a fixed valance and thinking about the possibility (only thinking mind) to supply the loco fitted with NEM microtrains couplers, with spare UK couplers in the box.

I know that Microtrains have been considering an NEM version for a while but this suggests it might actually come out this year!

Looks promising at the moment, I'm sure that at this rate - Dapol will be able to produce the most accurate RTR diesel loco to date!

Please, please, please can you also ensure that both the 4 & 2mm versions will be able to be re-gauged as easily as possible? (EM, P4, 2mm etc!).

I will be wanting a fleet of these (in P4!) I'm sure.

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like this is going to be a stunning model. Thanks Dave.

I wonder what I should lobby you to produce next! - On the basis of the Western, we can look forward to some great models.

Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

to add to Andy's earlier comments, here's where we are with the cad.

Firstly the only palpable thing you see that we have is here. Work is now going on to refine the cad/cam to include the nuances that earlier and later once had. (thinking battery box, side opening hatch and boiler grill etc)

The scanning was the most complex we have ever done, as mindful of other attempts in all gauges to replicate this model unsuccessfully, i asked for not the usual 4 points of scanning but 10 points.

This was because i wanted to make sure that pesky roof , cab roof front (peak) and 'nose' with cab front windows and distances etc were scanned very accurately. We also scanned underneath the front valance and fuel tanks as there are 2 pipes underneath the tank that are coloured depending on liquid carried and i wanted to replicate these too. We also managed to capture the off set fan grillsnicely too.

I also, along with the scanning company, took a full photo survey of 'Champion' for analysing alongside the scans, and pictures readily available on the Locomotive.

So, thats progress so far, and while i know its not much to look at at the moment, it gives you an idea of how accurate (or otherwise :( ) the OO and N gauge model will be.

As usual, i would appreciate any comments regarding the look etc, but i hope it doesnt dissappoint the way it looks at the moment.

Delivery is still scheduled for this year in both gauges by the way.:)

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

74 4mm ones please Dave :blink:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dapal Dave,

In the future would you plan to realease D1015 Western Champion in its current main line condition as that would be ideal for me to run then.

Thanks,

Mark

If Dapol does produce a D1015 in Desert Sand or Maroon as it is now, I suspect there will be as many wanting it in original form. I've no idea what changes are needed, but this may be one model where Dapol could consider offering optional headcodes or white spots in the box. The bright headlight in the RHS headcode box might be more difficult to cater for as a one off...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just seen this from Dapol Dave on the Class 56 thread (my highlight):

Hi everyone,

Roof arials are a customer fitted option in the accessory bag, and we are building into the tooling anough scope to change details here and there (roof grills, front handrail split with high intensity hight etc)

This will take a while to filter through, so please dont expect them to appear all at once. Please remember N gauge is a fraction of OO in market and Dapol do not want to go down the 'flooding the market' route we did with the original 66's and 73's.

However due to a cad/cam and tooling problem the OO and N gauge Westerns will appear with the front handrail mounted arials i'm afraid. Luckily they can easily be removed with a scalpel by the modeller.Cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

For what is being billed as the ultimate Western, this is frankly ridiculous. Why should I have to take a scalpel to a model as soon as it arrives? You may not see the cut in N, but you certainly will in OO.

I presume this aerial is something to do with running on the UK network and applies only to D1015 in its current preserved state? If it's a problem there are other preserved Westerns to scan and get the CAD/CAM right. I would imagine that the vast majority of purchasers will want the model in original condition, but now you're going to make it correct for one loco in its current condition. We are patiently waiting for the Class 22 while you get the details right - please do the same for the Western.

If not, as far as I am concerned it's three lost sales.

If it's an April fool, it's not funny.

Seems to be marginally over the top that really...It is a model after all, isnt that the srot of small action that modellers do to improve/alter things?

Improving/altering is fine as modellers, but it sounds like this would be better to be corrected prior to release, rather than rushing out the model with a known error, and basically saying that we have to fix it ourselves!

How does this affect the warranty too? If the model is been so attacked, will it then be no longer returnable to Dapol when the motor fails?

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

isnt that the srot of small action that modellers do to improve/alter things?

Of course it is. We replace plastic grills with etched parts and make changes to model specific locos with detail variations, but to me at least this is different. It's something that is easy to get right on the model from the outset by amending the CAD/CAM. It's not as if there are no other Westerns to refer to to get it right. If the problem is creating tooling to produce the model both with and without the aerials, then I expect most would prefer without. D1015 in preserved form is not even in the first productions runs. Dapol is effectively saying "We're producing a model, we know it's going to be wrong, but sorry it's not going to be corrected."

Dapol has throughout the Class 22 project been saying how they want to get everything right and have delayed production to make adjustments. Surely Dapol can do the same for the Western.

Unless it really is an April fool (after all, the aerial is NOT shown on the CAD/CAM in Andy first post in this thread).