Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Hi All,

First post on the forum (long time reader though). Thought I would share with you a couple of pics of D1021 with newly fitted headcodes. Very impressive model from Dapol indeed, keep up the great work!

'Enterprise' is still in the cabinet and awaiting headcodes, but at least it already has all those lifting eyes on - really not looking forward to fitting them to Cavalier.

post-10913-0-18678000-1364849352.jpg

post-10913-0-20340500-1364849362.jpg

• Like 10

Hi All,

First post on the forum (long time reader though). Thought I would share with you a couple of pics of D1021 with newly fitted headcodes. Very impressive model from Dapol indeed, keep up the great work!

'Enterprise' is still in the cabinet and awaiting headcodes, but at least it already has all those lifting eyes on - really not looking forward to fitting them to Cavalier.

Whose headcodes are these 37227? They look good.

Homemade ones. Created in excel and after much changing of font size, printed on photo paper and cut to size once they were stuck on.

I used the original Dapol ones at one end originally, and to me they just didnt look right, so they had to be changed.

Homemade ones. Created in excel and after much changing of font size, printed on photo paper and cut to size once they were stuck on.

I used the original Dapol ones at one end originally, and to me they just didnt look right, so they had to be changed.

Did you stick them in, my adapted Heljan head codes keep sliding down!!!

I am quite a dab hand at using excel so I will try this method for the headcodes.  Can you remember what size and type of font you used 37227?  The light seems to get through the paper OK so I presume it was thin copier paper or similar? 

I am quite a dab hand at using excel so I will try this method for the headcodes.  Can you remember what size and type of font you used 37227?  The light seems to get through the paper OK so I presume it was thin copier paper or similar? 

They were made using either 'Leelawadee' or 'Century Gothic' fonts, depending on the character (with a capital 'I' rather than a '1').

Cell size was 3 wide, 15 high.

They are font size 13, with a space between the 2 characters that varies to ensure the gap is correct (eg: the space between the double 0's is set to font size 5, and the gap between the 1 & 0 is set to 11).

They are printed on glossy photo card, 260gsm, using a canon inkjet printer.

I removed the headcode glazing, scratched the front a little to key the plastic, then stuck the headcode on with superglue. Once dry, I trimmed the edges using a sharp scalpel, then ran a black felt tip over the white card edges.

I have  just  received a Green Western  , unfortunately  the loco apears to have  some  missing  parts on one bogie  and  also a twisted buffer  and one cab window pushed inward.

I am correct in assuming  that  both  cabs should have 2 windscreen wipers?  This one  only  has one at one  end!

The loco  was  very well  packed by the  supplying retailer and I feel sure the problems occured when the loco was  factory packed.

It will be  returning to the retailer.

I have some photos  which I would be pleased to forward to Dapol should they be interested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought  Dapol  might have been interested but  obviously  not,  I shall vote  with my  feet in future, the loco has now  returned to the  selling retailer.

Edited by Stevelewis

My D1000 is still noisy after several weeks. The Heljan ones however seem much smoother running!

My Heljan Western (and Hymek for that matter) is noisy as hell! Been interesting to see how the Dapol model runs when I get round to it. Don't have a permanent layout yet so it will be when I clear some space in the garage to set up a little test oval.

The oval works plate fits just above the fuel filler  just under the body and almost center to the whole loco.

if youve owned a Heljan one these are pre-printed on the model.I believe later on in life they went missing or were not re-fitted.

richard.

Thanks Richard, greatly appreciate the explanation!

The 'plates' you see beside the cab door or below the number plate are actually depot old style oval depot allocation stickers and data panels, both of which were printed on self adhesive vinyl.... the oval depot stickers applied to up until about late '68, while the data panels were added to locos passing through Works from that point onwards (and on subsequent repaints done at Laira from 1972 onwards).

As Richard says above, here's where your cast metal builders plate sits (it's the same on both sides)...

attachicon.gifDSCF8987.jpg

Thanks - the photo is extremely useful. I was looking in the wrong place at photos of the prototype all along!

• Like 1

AS nobody has posted for a bit (all quiet on the WESTERN front ?!! ) , may I recommend the you tube channel " letzerinstanz". A recent item features steam model "Western Enterprise in some nice shots on his layout . But the "sting in the tail " of this video is towards the end of it , where the poor assembly issues that seem to have affected some of these early models are addressed.I think myself fortunate that my Ltd edition seems A.O.K. !! 

Dave - that Sweeney episode is one of the best, 'Faces' from 1975, with that particular seqence filmed at Southall Gasworks (used more than once in the series).

'One of the 'D&E On 35mm' DVDs has some outakes from the Julie Christie film 'Darling' and shows a maroon Western heading towards Paddington on the Up Main in the Winter of 1964 / 65 (along with a Blue Pullman filmed on the same day). Also featured in the Same 'D&E' DVD are several short clips filmed at Chippenham in 1966 and Saltford in 1967, showing green and maroon Westerns, these were all shot for use in the first colour series of 'The Saint' although I'm not sure if all of the sequeneces were actually used. Well worth buying for the Hydraulic content alone these DVDs ;-)

And not a Western but another delicious Hydraulic.... an early Oliver Reed film called 'The System' has some scenes shot on the Brixham Branch with a green Class 22, made in 1962 or thereabouts I think. Also, the original Pete & Dud version of 'Bedazzled' shot in 1967 has a very brief glimpse of a filthy green Hymek trundling by at Westbourne Park.

More recently, 'The Bank Job' has a cameo appearence by D1015 in maroon at Paddington, it's set in 1971 and D1015 wears a set of replica plates for D1046 (the last maroon / small yellows one), although the illusion is spoilt by the maroon painted Mk2 air-con stock...!

Nice Shot of a Warship & 47 at Paddington in this 1968 Pink Floyd promo!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ONmKpaUc5Ao&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DONmKpaUc5Ao

• RMweb Gold

Are the blue ones still available? I have noticed they are no longer listed on Kernow's site, where I got the first one I bought. I hope Dapol haven't run out.

:help:

Cheltenham Model Centre. Their curious lack of availability is puzzling,however. CMC web says 27 now in stock

Nice Shot of a Warship & 47 at Paddington in this 1968 Pink Floyd promo!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ONmKpaUc5Ao&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DONmKpaUc5Ao

There was a childrens series on in the 70's called 'The changes, which featured both a Western and 47 leaving the Severn Tunnel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYco6bOsUQo

There was also a driving instructor comedy called 'L for Lester' which featured Western Ranger sounding the horn as the student driver was driving along in front of it on the track!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Great pic :-) I was hoping I might be able to find some information somewhere on what all the different codes supplied with the model refer to in terms of their destinations, i.e. London to Paington, or Exeter to Birmingham, etc...

Can anyone point me to where I can find information on the supplied head-code destinations and how they correlate with the prototype?

The best place to find the information would be in the working timetables of the day. The headcode or train reporting numbers changed over time. There's some basic stuff here. I've got one of the Green Westerns and one of the numbers included is 1A68 which would be an express passenger train heading for the London district, most likely Paddington. You'd have to find an appropriate working timetable to find out exactly which train it was (or trains as headcodes weren't necessarily unique).

Justin  

• Like 1

A= bound for a destination in the London Division

B =bound for a destination in the Bristol Division

C= bound for a destination in the Plymouth Division (later modified to B and C was then used for South Wales)

M=bound for a destination in the Midland Region. This would include all the former Great Western stations absorbed into the Midland region, so trains to Snow Hill Carried M as their destination.

E=bound for a destination in the Eastern Region

V=bound for the Western Region (inter regional working)

Z=Special Working

X=Royal Working and also Pway workings

F=South Wales destination (Later changed to C)

T,F=Hereford

O=bound for the Southern Region

The number preceeding the letter denotes the class of train 1 being an express 2 a stopper/local service and 3 to 9 denoting different types of freight Parcels and perishibles would quite often carry a 1

The last two numbers denote the actual train number

so few examples from the 70's would be:

1B45 Down Cornish Riviera Express

1E21 Up Cornishman (Penzance - Leeds)

1B25 Paddington Penzance

1B65 Paddington Penzance

The best way is to look at books for the period and location you are modelling, because the reporting headcodes changed frequently over the years.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Great pic :-) I was hoping I might be able to find some information somewhere on what all the different codes supplied with the model refer to in terms of their destinations, i.e. London to Paington, or Exeter to Birmingham, etc...

• Like 3

1V88 was a Saturdays only Manchester - Penzance in 1961 according to this page which shows Bristol Temple Meads workings. Might still have applied in later years but probably not to 1969 given the location of the photo.

http://www.alextrack.co.uk/railways/bristol_operations/summer_1961.shtml

You will have an interesting search on to identify all the supplied headcodes to trains. Good luck.

Mike

• Like 1