Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Superb shots of a terrific model of D1047, Greg certainly knows his weathering. I particularly like the small attention to detail eg rust patch on the front valance where the shed plate used to be.

I always use the Kier Hardy site as a source of inspiration for 1970s diesel modelling.

Neil

Superb rendidtion of an often overlooked livery on the Thousands there Paul - and the top photo particularly shows how good the front end looks on the Dapol model.... ;O)

Thanks for the kind reply guys.With a couple of tweeks  the Dapol 52s are superb models of a fine loco.Thanks also to Paul  for taking the pics

Greg 

Edited by D1047
  • Like 3

Does Greg Brookes undertake commissions?

Geoff Endacott

Hi Geoff

Unfortunately I dont have the time as my shift work devours a fair bit of it but its nice of you to think I am worthy

cheers Greg

The next of the Dapol Westerns for Shenston Rd has now appeared. I'm just about finished with the wheel turning on the new fleet, untill I suspect the Maroon one arrive, and all has gone well with the process. A couple of points learn't was that the cast wheels as supplied has a variety of flange depths and widths so had to be assesed individually. A couple where found to have quite a wopple but Greg had the foresight to get a spare motor bogie so it is not too much of an issue. The other was when taking apart and putting the bogie together you have to be vary careful with the prototypical air pipes fitted to the side of them. They can get bent out of shape very easily and  if they don't go back right they can cause bogie rotational issues. The same is also true of the interaction between the front valance and the front brake rigging on the bogie. There isn't much clearence. 

Anyhow job done for now so enjoy another fine example of Gregs handiwork on D1000 Western Enterprise.

post-7146-0-84175400-1367344166.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 12

For my birthday at the beginning of April and after much deliberation over the cost, I nudged Mrs bubbles in the direction of Swindon Steam Museum's D1000 Western Enterprise. After careful running in in both directions the loco was dismantled to fit my own head codes, crews in the cabs, screw link couplings fitted both ends, many of the detailing parts were added and the extra holes for buffer beam detail, not required for D1000 filled and touched in with colour matched paints.  

The first load test on the layout was an 8 van parcels train and disaster struck, a short way into the run, the speed dropped and smoke started curling from the roof fan vents. As the body was still loose on the chassis from fitting the detail I quickly whipped it off to check inside, the circuit boards were very hot and although the loco was again running normally none of the lights were working at either end.

It was now quite late in the evening, but feeling rather down about my new Western I sent a pm to Dapol Dave via RMweb asking the best course of action. Imagine my surprise when just minutes later I received a reply back from Dave advising me to contact DCC Supplies. Next day I phoned them from work and received by email a prepaid label for postage for the loco to be sent back to them for repair.

Over the next few day i received 7 more emails from DCC Supplies advising me how work on my Western Enterprise was progressing and when to expect her home again.

Today, just 12 days after the failure, my Western undertook her second and this time successful load test and I would just like to say thank you to Dapol Dave and DCC Supplies for exemplary service.

Dave asked me to let him know how things went, so I will be sending him another pm and pointing out this post. thanks again Dave!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I notice the review says the Dapol Class 52 has a 21-pin decoder socket.

On the Dapol web site - http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=179_235_236

it says 'DCC ready with provision of a PluX 22 pin decoder'.

Is this a mistake or are the future releases going to be fitted with a PluX 22 pin decoder socket?

I have a maroon one on order and wanted to order the Howes sound decoder ready for when it arrives. As they only do 21 pin decoder I felt it best to ask first.

Dye

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dye from sunny Philadelphia,

That was a typo on the website I'm afraid.

The western wil remain 21 pin, with PluX22 appearing on the 73

Cheers

Dave

Thanks, Dave,

I'll shall order the sound chip in the morning. :-)

Dye

• RMweb Premium

The same blue haze drifting up and over Chyandour cliff is a lasting memory and dates from before I was old enough to look over the wall without being lifted!  

Hi everyone,

4D-003-001 D1029 'Western Legionaire' BR Maroon with small yellow warning panel will start to be dispatched to stockists who have ordered them and are in good standing today.

So please keep an eye out for them Tomorrow at your local stockist just in case. They should all have left here to stockists by Thursday at the latest.

cheers

Dave

• Like 8