Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Sunday 24th January 1962.....Temple Meads.....double -heading 'Warship' on evening Paddington-Bristol-Plymouth.....the W.R.'s Sundays 'Great Way Round'. Posted this before,I know.Repeating myself (again)....senior moment etc....

Cheers,Mike.......Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Sunday 24th January 1962.....Temple Meads.....double -heading 'Warship' on evening Paddington-Bristol-Plymouth.....the W.R.'s Sundays 'Great Way Round'. Posted this before,I know.Repeating myself (again)....senior moment etc....

Cheers,Mike.......Ian.

aha - looks like I probably beat you - but not by much!

Guest 838rapid

I popped into steam literally a couple f weeks ago and managed to buy the L/E western.

If your after one its worth giving them a ring.

Thanks to John posting his correct email address I've now pre-ordered a model of D1062 so WLA still have some of those left.  Another worthwhile cause as some of the funds go towards the upkeep of the real D1062.

Martin

Hi John

No problem, I'm glad you've posted.  :no:

Problem here also is that the postal system just doesn't work so downloading the form to make an order via post wasn't an option either.  On the email - I actually sent email's to that address on 17th and 28th June and have just send another so I hope you can pick that up.  If you don't see it please drop me a PM and I'll send detail over that way.

Thanks again for making contact via this thread.  I'm looking forward to adding D1062 to my fleet.

Martin

Hi Martin, I've still not received an email.Ring my mobile number 07904350158 (evening time) if you can & we'll do it that way.I will do an Order Form for you & will give you the Bank details to do a Transfer.I hope this is ok. Best wishes, John.

I've just converted one of mine to EM with Ultrascales, and have managed to mackle it to get it to go round 36" radius curves with the "full fat" brake blocks fitted, if anyone is interested?

Mike

I've just converted one of mine to EM with Ultrascales, and have managed to mackle it to get it to go round 36" radius curves with the "full fat" brake blocks fitted, if anyone is interested?

Mike

Hi Mike

I started mine to EM but got stuck (brake blocks etc an removing the bits to do the job) and had to leave it to return to Africa for work - you couldn't advise on how you did it could you?

Thanks - it's my first conversion to EM so trying to get it right....

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Kernow MRC report via their newsletter that the chromatic blue SYP commission is "in the UK" and should be with them any day.  The other three commissions are all "on the high seas" with the rail blue FYE due in soon followed by the maroon ones.  

Time to groom the credit card ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

I started mine to EM but got stuck (brake blocks etc an removing the bits to do the job) and had to leave it to return to Africa for work - you couldn't advise on how you did it could you?

Thanks - it's my first conversion to EM so trying to get it right....

Paul

Get Showcase out of the way and I'll blog it next week.

Mike.

Just received a despatch notification from Kernow Model Rail for D1030 Western Musketeer....they're on their way! Time to prime the neighbour and hope the good lady is out!! Can't ever remember ever looking forward to receiving a loco more than this one

Kernow's weathered version of Western Musketeer was delivered this morning (along with NRM'S Prince William). Best factory heavy weathering I've ever seen on a loco! Unfortunately it's already heading back in the other direction with poor running qualities. Bit disappointed but no doubt Kernow will sort this in their usual efficient manner.

Kernow's weathered version of Western Musketeer was delivered this morning (along with NRM'S Prince William). Best factory heavy weathering I've ever seen on a loco! Unfortunately it's already heading back in the other direction with poor running qualities. Bit disappointed but no doubt Kernow will sort this in their usual efficient manner.

Wouldn't have been dirty wheels would it?

Remember they are sprayed too and the cleaners might have missed cleaning the paint off the tread properly.

Cheers

Dave

Wouldn't have been dirty wheels would it?

Remember they are sprayed too and the cleaners might have missed cleaning the paint off the tread properly.

Cheers

Dave

Could be Dave but there was another issue too and i didn't want to go poking around. Spoke to Kernow who said return it which is what I've done. Quite happy to pm you if you want more info? Thanks for your response.

Graham

• RMweb Premium

Musketeer will take a little longer to reach me but I'll give a report on the running quality when she does.  There's often a few rogues in a batch (from any manufacturer) unfortunately so we can hope that the one poor runner so far isn't indicative of the entire batch.  The pristine ones had a few "waddlers" reported but it seems the vast majority of them were fine.

• RMweb Gold

Whizzo officionados might like this - 2 mins (D1046 MSYP) and 14 mins (D1048 BFYE)

Have solved running problems by dealing with 3 issues:

1. Brake gear fouls on vac cylinder behind valance. Solution - cut off 3 small projections at outer ends of bogie

2. Cab footstep fouls on bogie pipework on second mans side. Solution - slightly shorten footsteps or file underside of bottom step down to increase clearance.

3. Lack of tramp - up/down float - on bogies. Solution - cut off NEM pocket adjacent to bogie.

Problems solved - simples!

Howes sound files - love that horn!

Phil

• Like 9

...On the western front I will say is should and why you have to do this to get an expensive model to run on a layout.

The simple answer is you don't have to fit the detailing bits if you have tight curves, the instructions are quite clear about the need to use the shorter brake pieces on a running model. Watching the bogie swing at 2:45 where the Western swings off to the right at the junction, I'm surprised that it works with any of the details fitted. In my case with P4 conversion and a minimum 4ft radius, I don't have any problem with Phil's No 2 issue. Interestingly, I've not had his problems 1 and 3 either. In both cases, there's just enough clearance on mine. Maybe it's down to manufacturing tolerances.

Nick

edit ps. forgot to say I enjoyed the video, Phil.

Edited by buffalo

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick

Could be your trackwork is rather better than ours!!! Those points are 36" on the route taken- without the mods the Westerns derailed on every pass. This line wasn't known for high speed trackwork until the late 60s at least...

Cheers

Phil

I would love to buy one. Unfortunately, I might have to put a copper capped chimney, a brass safety valve and some Brunswick green paint on it :pardon:

Otherwise people might notice the difference...

Ah, that lovely Brunswick green western with a copper exhaust and lining. One special commission for later I think :-)

• RMweb Gold

Got a call from Lord & Butler yesterday advising that they've got Western Invader in stock. Mine's being fitted with sound decoder plus bass reflex speaker and the test run prior to despatch to ensure no wobbles etc. For a small extra charge all the fiddly bits are being added to the loco.

Hopefully all will be done by Monday so expect arrival Tuesday or Wednesday. Now that I've got a decent size digital track looking forward to seeing how Invader performs.

Keith