Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Am I confused, or was the reason not explained in a very handy post a few pages ago? The PCB has no overload protection, so if you overload it, it blows. If that's the case, then you can try as many as you like, they will blow in the end. Only a redesign of the PCB will solve the issue - which is what seems to have happened for you.

A DCC chip, on the other hand will have overload protection (or should have). So will not demonstrate the same fault. Which is why I intend to get a DCC chip into my Dapol 22 before I use it in anger.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I must have missed that have you any idea which page it was on ? I am not sure how you would overload the PCB as the loco draws less than 0.3A fully loaded.

Am I confused, or was the reason not explained in a very handy post a few pages ago? The PCB has no overload protection, so if you overload it, it blows. If that's the case, then you can try as many as you like, they will blow in the end. Only a redesign of the PCB will solve the issue - which is what seems to have happened for you.....

And once again, I ask whether there is a separate overload protection circuit which could be designed so that all of us using PCB v1.0 could graft it in ourselves....?

Edited by Horsetan

In earlier posts I have brought to the fore all the problems in running a Dapol western and stating there is a problem with the circuit board and seems to be more evident in running on dc. 

Will Dapol be looking into this before the next batch as with derailing issues.

Richard.

For that you would need to ask Dapol,, as they no longer have a voice on here. 

And once again, I ask whether there is a separate overload protection circuit which could be designed so that all of us using PCB v1.0 could graft it in ourselves....?

Would one of the DCC decoders that also runs comfortably on DC provide such protection, I wonder?

• RMweb Premium

Choosing a name and number for a blue Dapol Western with full yellow ends

Here is an updated spreadsheet to collate all the relevant information we have posted here since Geoff's posting at 16:44 on 7th August. The current data shows that if you want a 'prototypical' name/number for a blue Dapol Western (full yellow ends) you must remove the red route indicator dots and then choose one of D1001, 1003, 1008-11, 1013-16, 1021-1023 only (thirteen in all) ... or modify the model.

Class 52 Western details d.xls

This spreadsheet replaces all previous versions I have posted in this topic.

- Richard.

Finally managed to get a working D1056 the other day. This one runs but suffers from a noisy drive train and it bobs up and down and wobbles all over the shop. Instead of paying the return postage yet again I've just bitten the bullet and purchased replacement wheels for it from DCC supplies. Fingers crossed it should cure it and the new ones won't be eccentric to the axle too. Its getting a sound chip so I'd like it to be top notch!

Sam,

It is fundamentally wrong for you to be out of pocket when correcting faulty goods. Why were you unable to exchange the faulty wheelsets for true ones without charge?

Apologies if your reasons are buried in this long thread.

If DCC supplies can't give you satisfaction then you should be kicking Dapol's backside.

Dave  

Sam,

It is fundamentally wrong for you to be out of pocket when correcting faulty goods. Why were you unable to exchange the faulty wheelsets for true ones without charge?

Apologies if your reasons are buried in this long thread.

If DCC supplies can't give you satisfaction then you should be kicking Dapol's backside.

Dave  

Somebody in this thread returned a faulty Dapol Western to DCC Supplies, only for it to be returned with the fault not repaired sufficiently well, so he had to return it a second time (at his own cost, natch) to be repaired. Second time round, it had been repaired.

Somebody in this thread returned a faulty Dapol Western to DCC Supplies, only for it to be returned with the fault not repaired sufficiently well, so he had to return it a second time (at his own cost, natch) to be repaired. Second time round, it had been repaired.

If he was charged the second return and it was not his fault but a failed repair then that somebody should send DCC supplies the bill.

My Dapol western had 2 faults.  Firstly, one of the 4 body fixing screws was not fitted correctly, and had missed the brass insert in the body and gone down the side of it. I found this when I wanted to install a decoder.  I could have sent it to DCC, but was quicker and easier to drill the screw out myself (it was in too tight to undo), and although not perfect, I think 3 body fixing screws will be adequate.  The second fault is with the interior cab lights. The lights in one end don't work. All directional head and tail lamps work fine, but once I fitted the decoder, the cab lights will only operate one end.  I assume it's a loco fault and not a decoder fault, but again, I'm not worried enough about it to pack it up and send it to DCC.  It's a beautiful model, but the manufacturing or assembly quality isn't as it should be.

My Dapol western had 2 faults.  Firstly, one of the 4 body fixing screws was not fitted correctly, and had missed the brass insert in the body and gone down the side of it. I found this when I wanted to install a decoder.  I could have sent it to DCC, but was quicker and easier to drill the screw out myself (it was in too tight to undo), and although not perfect, I think 3 body fixing screws will be adequate.  The second fault is with the interior cab lights. The lights in one end don't work. All directional head and tail lamps work fine, but once I fitted the decoder, the cab lights will only operate one end.  I assume it's a loco fault and not a decoder fault, but again, I'm not worried enough about it to pack it up and send it to DCC.  It's a beautiful model, but the manufacturing or assembly quality isn't as it should be.

You realise that the other cab lights work independently using F2 don't you?

They are wired to true NMRA spec and as such you can have either cab or both lit dependant on your whim and choice of direction as it is in dependant of direction too.

HTH

NDD

• RMweb Premium

You realise that the other cab lights work independently using F2 don't you?

They are wired to true NMRA spec and as such you can have either cab or both lit dependant on your whim and choice of direction as it is in dependant of direction too.

HTH

NDD

And you need a 4 function decoder such as the Bachmann 36-557 I have fitted to mine. Bachmann's older 36-554 is 3 function for example and I had to replace it in my Class 22 before all the light functions worked.