Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

I think it is safe to say that all handrails on wizzos are chromed.  If they were bare steel they would soon rust after a trip along the sea wall.

As the anticipated  arrival of D1062 gets nearer I get more apprehensive.

They may well be chrome, but I doubt they are chrome on steel or they would almost certainly be very rusty by now. BR were very good at specifying high grades of materials for both locomotive and coaches. I worked in the BREL works at Wolverton for 10 years, I believe that coach body side handles by each door on MK1 derived stock were often brass that was left self colour or coated in some instances. 

Sorry to say that my adventure into buying a Dapol Wezzie, was not a good one.

I had bought a maroon one syp from a well known Bradford retailer, 

But on inspection of this loco, when it arrived home, was not a good one.

1 wiper blade missing

it run like it had 3 wheels on its wagon

and also did not pick up on 1 axle.

So back to the shop we went .  I must admit all fair does to the shop, He did tell me i could send

it back to DCC myself ( free postage) ,or they would do it for me.

It was simply for me, it was money back or something of the same value.

Not to do Dapol out of any pennies, I went for the class 22 syp. Which turned out to be a fantastic loco .

so i think it will be a while before i venture down the Dapol wezzie list,

until QC as improved. 

• RMweb Premium

There are a small number of rogue ones out there to judge by some comments in this topic but the majority seem to be perfectly fine.  

It's worth bearing in mind that the tolerances these locos are built to are finer than we might be accustomed to for RtR models; clearances for bogie swing are as little as 0.5mm for example with the parts all fitted.  It doesn't take much for something to be misaligned and cause problems and that might be factory assembly just as much as it may be user fitting.

I'd suggest those who have been unlucky enough to find they have a dodgy loco might want to give it another go and have it replaced.  If that's done via DCC Supplies there is also less chance of one from the same batch being offered in exchange by a retailer and possibly showing up the same problems.

By comparison I've had far more problems with ViTrains locos than Dapol.  They're also listed at cheaper prices and I accept that I get what I pay for.  

Hi Gwiwer

I agree with you on all counts,

But this one also had the bogie swing issue (like your own) as well.

So i think it was just a good idea to get rid of this Greck.

i will indeed be going for a maroon syp at some time though.

Guest oldlugger

Not sure if this BRM video has been posted here, but it is rather good, with sound effects too. I think it could be Tony Wright's layout:-

Cheers

Simon

Edited by oldlugger
  • Like 1

I've just been running mine in this afternoon. It goes like a charm and looks like it raises the RTR bar again.

However, one thing that Dapol should note is that the plastic cover inside the box has rubbed glossy marks onto the side of the loco. Any tips on how to get that off? Or is it back to the supplier? They'd do better to stick to the flat sheet of polythene in future, I think.

Edited by Pimlico Tram
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

H'mm. Thought I'd try photographing stock in daylight rather than loft under fluorescent light. Here are results.  To my eye the loco maroon looks slightly more pink and the Bachmann BSK maroon slightly browner compared to each other.  The second pic has an ex-LMS coach resprayed in Halfords Vauxhall Burgandy acrylic paint then finished in Testors Dulcote, (a truly wonderful varnish). That looks a little lighter red. 

Back in the loft the shades look similar again.

Just noticed that the loco door handles need painting silver - presumably they would have been chrome on full size?

Sorry, but the D1048 numberplate looks to be a bit on the low side...

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't be too worried by that when Dapol's own website has the numberplate and headcode panels on one completely back to front ;)

post-3305-0-36248500-1381224970_thumb.png

Perhaps camera angle.  There's been a lot posted on this thread about name/number plate mounting.  Having printed ones to overlay the etched plates on would have helped.  I used drawings in "British Rail mainline diesels", the Ian Allen book,  which shows the number plates to be in line with the name plates, so I used a straight edge for that. Took the height from the drawings with a digital micrometer (both name and numbers).  

Since all that, one of the fan grills came away and had to be stuck back on.  Also there's a brake hose somewhere on the track which I can't find.... that's life. :-)

Edited by railroadbill

• RMweb Gold

Prototypically top line of plate is pretty well true with bottom of door handle recess and top of headlamp bracket

http://preserved-diesels.co.uk/2004/1048_6.htm

Its a matter of millimetric fractions on the model! Given that theres little to align the name plate on perhaps best to fit number plate first and then line up name plate to that - but watch out how you line up as numberplate wider than nameplate.

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Latest news from Dapol on the WLA's LTD Edition D1062 Western Courier is that the container is due to land in the UK on 3rd October:)

LATEST INFORMATION ! The consignment has landed and is in transit.......

Watch this space for the first photographs and place your order now (details on WLA site) Already over 50% of the stock has been reserved.Do not miss out!!

• Like 1

post-16844-0-10035300-1381407730_thumb.jpgpost-16844-0-18775400-1381407782_thumb.jpgpost-16844-0-71322400-1381407831_thumb.jpgpost-16844-0-96210500-1381407882_thumb.jpgpost-16844-0-84469600-1381407949_thumb.jpg

LATEST INFORMATION ! The consignment has landed and is in transit.......

Watch this space for the first photographs and place your order now (details on WLA site) Already over 50% of the stock has been reserved.Do not miss out!!

As promised!! The first photographs which were taken very quickly and do not accurately reflect the finish and quality. All lift rings factory fitted, as are pipes to one buffer beam and plates. Show YOUR Support for D1062 in her 50th anniversary year and  purchase your model now!! ALL PROFITS to WLA to continue maintenance of D1062 and the return to the mainline. Your purchase could mean D1015 and D1062 could one day haul a charter train on the main line!

• Like 8

As promised!! The first photographs which were taken very quickly and do not accurately reflect the finish and quality. All lift rings factory fitted, as are pipes to one buffer beam and plates. Show YOUR Support for D1062 in her 50th anniversary year and  purchase your model now!! ALL PROFITS to WLA to continue maintenance of D1062 and the return to the mainline. Your purchase could mean D1015 and D1062 could one day haul a charter train on the main line!

wow!!!!!

Well, I've missed out on getting one of these... I wanted a blue one, but I did get my first mileage behind one last weekend... and very nice the whole event was too. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1202-1 LowRes.jpg

The rest of my shots are here if anyone's interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nimbus20/sets/72157636466940804/

Jon

Thanks for posting the pics of thew SVR Diesel Gala.  Unfortunately I was in Cornwall for the weekend and not a 'real' diesel hydraulic in site.  (Had a brief visit to Par and a look in the signal box.)  I remember well the SVR diesel galas of the 80s and 90s - Hellfire!!

Nice! VERY tempted to get this one. I wanted a pristine maroon one but held off due to some of the QC issues (which I had also experienced with one of my blue ones) but this WLA model is proving hard to resist!

I bought a BFYE Western from Hattons a couple of weeks back (I received an email notification that they had a couple in stock), and have finally test run it this weekend, to discover the lights aren't working. Is there a simple fix for this (loose connection etc), or is it a case of returning it, or getting the model sent off to DCC Supplies for repair?

Given that the brake rigging was missing (I've already got replacements on their way from DCC Supplies), I'm now beginning to wonder ff I've been sold a "second" by Hattons.

Chris

.  .