Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

No it hasn't Owen.

Shame I've had to dip out of these bargains to allow space for a new SLW class 24 purchase, 24 063. I have picked up a weathered D1026 earlier this year, since renumbered to D1006 which had headboard clips D1026 didn't. I have far too many Westerns in any case,

Umm now you mention it I'm sure those ventilation grilles would be quite easy.....

Neil

• 2 months later...

Personally I use a small tube of superglue of the sort often found in supermarket hardware aisles.  The works plate is so small that I wipe a cotton wool bud over the wet end of the glue nozzle before taking the plate in the tweezers and touching it to the glue on the bud.  That helps to get adhesive in more than one tiny pin-point spot and prevents excess from oozing out all over your lovely new model.

I find it is far easier to attach etched plates using varnish - matt, satin or gloss to match paint finish.  The varnish provides good adhesion but does allow the plates to be picked off if required to adjust or rename even.

Mask off the area on the loco where the plates are to be fitted using Tamiya masking tape using the etched plate as a template to ensure it is located correctly.  Apply a small amount of varnish to the taped off area and apply plate, pressing very gently.  The tape will locate the plate.  Wipe away any excess varnish and leave to dry for 30 minutes or so then very gently peel away the masking tape without disturbing the plate.  When the varnish has dried completely any excess can be removed with a little thinners on an 000 brush.

Happy modelling.

• 2 months later...

LT Museum selling westerns for £75 as part of a black friday deal

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/Dapol-western-d1018-blue#selection=pto_finish:Matt__970;pto_frame:Black__965;pto_size:Small__961;pto_mount:With%20Mount__973

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/Dapol-western-d1018-maroon#selection=pto_finish:Matt__970;pto_frame:Black__965;pto_size:Small__961;pto_mount:With%20Mount__973

Is this a museum sepcial addition? What condition are these locos in (esp Talisman clips) - would they be suitable for a preserved western (e.g. Champion?)

• RMweb Premium

LT Museum selling westerns for £75 as part of a black friday deal

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/Dapol-western-d1018-blue#selection=pto_finish:Matt__970;pto_frame:Black__965;pto_size:Small__961;pto_mount:With%20Mount__973

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/Dapol-western-d1018-maroon#selection=pto_finish:Matt__970;pto_frame:Black__965;pto_size:Small__961;pto_mount:With%20Mount__973

Is this a museum sepcial addition? What condition are these locos in (esp Talisman clips) - would they be suitable for a preserved western (e.g. Champion?)

Not heard of these before. As Limited Editions I wonder too if the name and number plates come pre-fitted like the other L/Es.

• RMweb Premium

I can increase the fleet once I know what sort of storage I might have in the future.  Currently there is little sense in me buying anything which would only be shipped back in a few weeks' time still in its box.

• RMweb Gold

Great,

Just what I need for my North East based EM layout. Couldn't resist though at that price. Memories of Devon/Cornwall on holiday in 1971 took hold.

Now what about getting a Warship too!.....

I have 8mm video I took of one of the last crossing the Royal Albert Bridge from Saltash.

And then that means a new cameo layout. New Peco Bullhead track and cue the new Iain Rice book from Wild Swan. Hopefully soon!

Terry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh and once again dear,

I gave in and ordered 842 Royal Oak from Hattons.

Evocative as HMS Royal Oak was sank not far from where I live and there have been a lot of moving memorials this year.

Terry

• RMweb Gold

D1018 arrived today, Shawplan Buccaneer plates not fitted, probably just as well as the model has Talisman clips, incorrect for D1018. No worry, for £75 will change identity to a 1975-77 survivor. Excellent value of course.

Neil

D1018 arrived today, Shawplan Buccaneer plates not fitted, probably just as well as the model has Talisman clips, incorrect for D1018. No worry, for £75 will change identity to a 1975-77 survivor. Excellent value of course.

Neil

Is this the BR Blue one?

Presumably with Talisman clips therefore correct for preserved Westerns? Any other detailed differences one needs to know about?

• RMweb Gold

Yes BR blue one, but D1018 went in 1973, before the West Ealing crash so never had the yellow battery box clips fitted. As one of the D1017-1020 batch that was never dual brake fitted, air brake pipes should be absent. D1018 was in a bit of a shocking state in her later years and ran about minus a nameplate on one side for a while. It actually was in blue, but had almost the same amount of maroon showing through.

All preserved Westerns should have Talisman clips.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

Yes BR blue one, but D1018 went in 1973, before the West Ealing crash so never had the yellow battery box clips fitted. As one of the D1017-1020 batch that was never dual brake fitted, air brake pipes should be absent. D1018 was in a bit of a shocking state in her later years and ran about minus a nameplate on one side for a while. It actually was in blue, but had almost the Sam amount of maroon showing through.

All preserved Westerns should have Talisman clips.

Neil

Are they painted yellow on the maroon model? Seems that D1023 retains them yellow in its maroon livery but all photos I seen of D1062 appear to have the clips painted maroon. Have ordered a maroon one and have sets of plates for D1023 and D1062.

The maroon version is based on the standard model of D1023 ref 4D-03-008, with different plates. It has yellow post 1973 battery clips, so strictly for preserved locos.

Well that's Western Champion in its near-current preserved form sorted for me, order placed! (to go with D1023 as itself purchased from Hattons a few weeks ago!).

I presume the models don't come with a Domino Blinds option do they?

That's the only Warship named after a pub.

Geoff Endacott

We have a pub called 'Albion' (D803) in Portishead, and there's one in Bristol...

...and a 'Greyhound' (D821)...

...and a 'Magpie' (D829) just round the corner from some distant relatives in London.

...and a 'Roebuck' (D841) in  Marlborough.

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1